Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strap buttons

Default Strap buttons

I spent a decade in R&D, so I’m always thinking ‘outside the box’

I’ve installed a strap button on in my Kala Acoustic/ Electric, but I wonder if anyone makes a strap button that plugs into the pickup for when I’m NOT playing Electric.

Perhaps I’m just too California ‘New Age’, but to me, a musical instrument is a beautiful ‘living’ entity and cutting or drilling into it is almost scacreligious.

Is there such a beastie - a Pickup strap button?

Ill start with the disclaimer that I am new the the Ukulele and string instruments in general, but I would be concerned that the pressure would damage the port, similar to how a cell phone or laptop charging port can go bad. the port itself is designed to have pressure in one direction i.e. in and out. not side to side like the pressure that would come from the strap. Just my 2-cents

Acoustic pick-up jacks almost always double as a strap button. Attach the strap to the outside of the extruding jack. There are strap locks you can get which will fit through a straps hole into the jack to make it harder to accidentally pop off. This is generally an issue for much heavier instruments than ukuleles.

I use the Tapastring Strap Keeper on my two ukes with MiSi pick-ups. Locks the strap to the pick-up end pin very securely. Easy to remove as desired. Available online or from Elderly Music.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019
    Kanilea KCS-SSP super soprano - circa 2016

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    I use the Tapastring Strap Keeper on my two ukes with MiSi pick-ups. Locks the strap to the pick-up end pin very securely. Easy to remove as desired. Available online or from Elderly Music.
    ooh, ima hafta look into that. I'm having slip-off issues with a few of my ukes and I think at least 2 have the MiSi.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127

!Flukutronic!

Quote Originally Posted by Another Ukulele View Post
    ...a musical instrument is a beautiful ‘living’ entity and cutting or drilling into it is almost sacrilegious.
    Not in my opinion. I've added strap buttons to every one of my ukes that didn't have them, I will only play with a strap. It's wood, it's not living, it died the moment it was cut down.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I've been using 'Strap Jacks' when playing unplugged and I've been pretty happy with them. They're available from their web site or Amazon.
    “Do it again on the next verse, and people think you meant it.” ― Chet Atkins

Talsma spruce-koa tenor |*| Pohaku mahogany tenor |*| PoMahina mango tenor |*| Wm.King koa tenor |*| Ko'olau cedar-koa 6-string tenor |*| Kanilea cedar/walnut Tenor

Yep Strap Jack is what you are looking for:

https://smile.amazon.com/Strap-Jack-...gateway&sr=8-1
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    Yep Strap Jack is what you are looking for:

https://smile.amazon.com/Strap-Jack-...gateway&sr=8-1
    I have looked at these before and think they are brilliant. But all my pick ups are active and when you plug a cable end in they turn on. I am assuming this would happen with these and seeing as I keep my straps attached 24/7 it would kill the battery. Maybe the plastic end pin doesn’t turn the pick up on, can anyone confirm this. With passive pick ups there would be no issue

Just like Rafter Girl I have been using Tapastring Strapkeeper on my ukes and guitars and they work great.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

I got a pair of these yesterday, and they're very good. I couldn't figure out how to release them, so I had to look at the Q&A n Amazon. Your thumb pushes down on the button while your first two fingers reach below the strap and pull up. Yes, they are large, but only when the strap is on the uke, so it doesn't matter. Easy on and easy off.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information