Strap buttons

Another Ukulele

Reaction score
I spent a decade in R&D, so I’m always thinking ‘outside the box’

I’ve installed a strap button on in my Kala Acoustic/ Electric, but I wonder if anyone makes a strap button that plugs into the pickup for when I’m NOT playing Electric.

Perhaps I’m just too California ‘New Age’, but to me, a musical instrument is a beautiful ‘living’ entity and cutting or drilling into it is almost scacreligious.

Is there such a beastie - a Pickup strap button?
:cool:

Ill start with the disclaimer that I am new the the Ukulele and string instruments in general, but I would be concerned that the pressure would damage the port, similar to how a cell phone or laptop charging port can go bad. the port itself is designed to have pressure in one direction i.e. in and out. not side to side like the pressure that would come from the strap. Just my 2-cents

Acoustic pick-up jacks almost always double as a strap button. Attach the strap to the outside of the extruding jack. There are strap locks you can get which will fit through a straps hole into the jack to make it harder to accidentally pop off. This is generally an issue for much heavier instruments than ukuleles.

I use the Tapastring Strap Keeper on my two ukes with MiSi pick-ups. Locks the strap to the pick-up end pin very securely. Easy to remove as desired. Available online or from Elderly Music.

I use the Tapastring Strap Keeper on my two ukes with MiSi pick-ups. Locks the strap to the pick-up end pin very securely. Easy to remove as desired. Available online or from Elderly Music.

ooh, ima hafta look into that. I'm having slip-off issues with a few of my ukes and I think at least 2 have the MiSi. :cheers:

...a musical instrument is a beautiful ‘living’ entity and cutting or drilling into it is almost sacrilegious.

Not in my opinion. I've added strap buttons to every one of my ukes that didn't have them, I will only play with a strap. It's wood, it's not living, it died the moment it was cut down.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I've been using 'Strap Jacks' when playing unplugged and I've been pretty happy with them. They're available from their web site or Amazon.

I have looked at these before and think they are brilliant. But all my pick ups are active and when you plug a cable end in they turn on. I am assuming this would happen with these and seeing as I keep my straps attached 24/7 it would kill the battery. Maybe the plastic end pin doesn’t turn the pick up on, can anyone confirm this. With passive pick ups there would be no issue

Just like Rafter Girl I have been using Tapastring Strapkeeper on my ukes and guitars and they work great.

Perhaps I’m just too California ‘New Age’, but to me, a musical instrument is a beautiful ‘living’ entity and cutting or drilling into it is almost scacreligious.

I used to feel the same way, but now I don't hesitate to get out my drill and start drilling holes. I try to match the buttons to the uke. Don't the holes make it a bit lighter? :D

Having a strap beats dropping it - just like with cameras.

I have looked at these before and think they are brilliant. But all my pick ups are active and when you plug a cable end in they turn on. I am assuming this would happen with these and seeing as I keep my straps attached 24/7 it would kill the battery. Maybe the plastic end pin doesn’t turn the pick up on, can anyone confirm this. With passive pick ups there would be no issue

Just like Rafter Girl I have been using Tapastring Strapkeeper on my ukes and guitars and they work great.

Looks like lots of customers had that question on Amazon. Most of the answers say no, because it's plastic. But the answer given by the Strap Jack manufacturer was a little vague......it shouldn't activate the battery on most pick-ups, but there are a few pick-ups that it will. That uncertainty, especially with a MiSi that works differently than a battery powered active pick-up, would worry me. No guesswork with the Tapastring Strap keeper.

When you use the StrapJack, I don't think you can plug in your amp at the same time.

I thought this is a clever strap button that screws onto the jack thread.

MusicNomad Acousti-Lok Strap Lock Adpater for Metric Output Jacks for Acoustic Guitars

https://smile.amazon.com/MusicNomad...=gateway&sprefix=guitar+strap,aps,175&sr=8-19

View attachment 121267

Yes, but...

"Will NOT fit standard thread jacks (FISHMAN, SWITCHCRAFT) or TAYLOR EXPRESSIONS System. Other Acousti-Lok part numbers are compatible with these designs"

When you use the StrapJack, I don't think you can plug in your amp at the same time.

I thought this is a clever strap button that screws onto the jack thread.

MusicNomad Acousti-Lok Strap Lock Adpater for Metric Output Jacks for Acoustic Guitars

https://smile.amazon.com/MusicNomad...=gateway&sprefix=guitar+strap,aps,175&sr=8-19

View attachment 121267

Good point. The Strap Jack doesn't allow you to use the pick-up. With the Tapastring Strap Keeper, the end pin of the pick-up is fully accessible. They make two sizes, so it fits most pick-up end pins. No metal parts. The part that loops through your strap & connects to your uke is a faux leather type fabric. The clip that locks it to the end pin is plastic, but it doesn't really touch the uke. It just locks on the end pin. Here's a picture.

Attachments

• DSCF1828.jpg
    DSCF1828.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 11
As I understand it the idea behind the strap jack is that you don't need the strap jack when you're plugged in. The plug itself will do pretty much the same job.

The acousti-lock allows using a quick release lock on the acoustic jack. This will add bulk to a system that's already too bulky (IMO) for a uke. I have one waiting at home to install on my guitar. Amazon has free returns on it so it's easy to confirm the size.

Unfortunately, Tapastring only makes one size now. They've discontinued the "Tapastring Two" that fits Taylor guitars. That probably won't make a difference for ukes.

Top Bottom