Hand plane recommondation for thicknessing

I recently made a router sled from various pieces of scrap I had been saving up for a special occasion. It works well down to 1.5mm - and probably below that but I haven't tried.
I use a 1" bottom routing bit (or some similar name) which has a TCT blade all the way across the bottom of the bit, not just at the edges. It provides a much smoother cut than an ordinary bit.
To keep the wood perfectly flat I lay it on a sheet of plate glass about 5mm thick and use a hot glue gun to secure the edges of the wood to the glass. I don't get glue between the glass and the wood.
I then use the router sled to reduce the piece to close to the required thickness. Then, with the wood still attached to the glass, I feed it through the home-made thicknessing sander ( a rotating drum).
To remove the wood from the glass I just cut the edges where the glue it with a Stanley knife and it separates without problems.
I can then true the other side if required by repeating the process.

The prospect of something going wrong with high speed rotating tools and a sheet of glass is something I am very aware of. However, the plate glass has the weight to keep the wood absolutely flat, won't buckle or curl with humidity and has worked very well thus far. I check everything 3 times, wear safety goggles and don't stand too close to the action. So far so good.

I hope this is idea is useful to others but please be careful
Miguel

just went to friends place with the dewalt planer. was able to thin down to 1.8 sides and 2.2 tops and back without any tearouts. then 120 grit orbital sanded for smooth surface.

next will try build a router sled jig and see how that goes. but so far planners do work great on highly curly mango wood, ebony , and rosewood from what I did today.

then when I get some birthday money get a nice low angle or no 4 plane.

Find a friend with a helical cutterhead planer to reduce tearout portential.

I built a simple thicknessing drum sander when I first started building. It was quick and cheap with just a few parts. Check out online videos of homemade drum sanders. It'll also make you feel legit.

:cool:

yeah I knew the blades where new , but im sure I wont get lucky when the blades get wornout.
was good experience I was after. good thing I did passes with scrap woods off the same boards. going from 4.5mm to 2.2 was pretty quick. then orbital sanded for a super smooth top.

Thicknessing with a planer is very dangerous territory. It will work until it doesn't.....then you will have at best snipe, and at worst a catastrophic explosion of wood.

dang, yeah that's on my to do list. diy drum sander. but in the end im going to end up with low angle plane method or no 4 smooth plane as I only make 1 or 2 a year for fun when i got time. all good experience im learning. wood working is so much fun.

Find a friend with a helical cutterhead planer to reduce tearout portential.

I built a simple thicknessing drum sander when I first started building. It was quick and cheap with just a few parts. Check out online videos of homemade drum sanders. It'll also make you feel legit.

:cool:

Top Bottom