Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Converting Lfdm tenor to fifths tuning

Standard mandolin length is between 13" for a bowl back and 13-7/8" for a f style. This would correspond with a soprano ukulele. A mandola the next size up in the mandolin family has a scale length of 16-17" (similar to concert-tenor ukulele scale)and is tuned CGDA which is also tuned in fifths.
    Last edited by keenonuke; 09-12-2019 at 02:58 AM.
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)

Keenouke,
    Could you recommend strings which would give me the CGDA tuning on my tenor?
    Thanks!

Keenonuke may have other recommendations, but here is a link to the Aquila 31U strings, which are CGDA.

https://www.amazon.com/Aquila-31U-Uk...SIN=B005WFTKGS
    Kala KA-TE tenor uke (currently tuned re-entrant gCEA)
    Kala APB-CTG baritone uke (currently tuned DGBE)
    Ohana BK-35CG baritone uke (currently tuned low-octave ADF#B)
    Various guitars, banjos, and basses

Interesting discussion. I’m a simple Uke player but if I were vested in fifths like you are, I’d change the tenor to fifth.
    My brother is a big mandolin player. Has all the sizes. He got a Uke, played for the novelty but always went back to mandolins. Also, if you play with fiddle and other instruments in fifths , seems like the way to go. Good luck. Thanks for bringing this topic up. I’ve never considered it. Trying to stay above water make my high g ukes sound musical. LOL

I don't fully know. Why not post a thread asking the forum.
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Canada View Post
    Keenouke,
    Could you recommend strings which would give me the CGDA tuning on my tenor?
    Thanks!
    Hi I finally discussed this with Matt at Strings by mail. He's suggested the following for a tenor ukulele to be strung in mandolin tuning of g d a e. Please bear in mind I asked him to select strings for standard mandolin tuning. So the G string is the lowest note and the E string is higher than the ukulele strings.

Matt suggested:
    NYL019 e
    TENSION 13.26357

NYL028 a
    TENSION 12.83499859

NYL040 d
    TENSION 11.66809664

NYL029W g
    TENSION 13.40886619

The link below shows the tuning for a mandolin versus a piano keyboard
    http://www.get-tuned.com/mandolin-tuning-piano.php
    I'm ordering the strings so I'll let you know. I'm also going to order fifths tuning for Soprano and for the Concert. I'm not sure which I'll try first. :-)
    K

Thread Information