Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Confused about Uke electronics (pickups)

RPS, I don't mean to further complicate things, but I have always been impressed with the fact that one of the really competent players/performers out there--
    a British (I think) guy named Chris Hough, also known as "Ukulele Uff", opts to "mic up" his Martin soprano on stage rather than "plugging in". He usually plays from a seated position, and has one mic aimed at his ukulele and a second mic aimed at his voice (each mic has its own stand and boom). Most often there'll be a "sound guy" tweaking things and keeping feedback at bay, but if you check out some of the videos online featuring Ukulele Uff (and his guitar-playing partner, "Lonesome Dave"), you can see what good results they get from good old-fashioned "micing up".

Thanx Bill ( if I may ). At our local Uke group most use the mike. We do have one or two that have pickups built in. My reason for looking at an electro Uke is that I have amps that I’m not using and thought that I might as well use my Uke with them. Also, tone change can be fun. If you look at the Fluke SB, tone changes would be pretty wild on that thing.

BTW, ukes seem to be the National Instrument of the U.K.....many of the YouTube videos I see are from U.K. locations however I am sure the U.S. and Canada has as many, I just haven’t found them as yet.

Yes, our awesome friends in the U.K. definitely appreciate the ukulele! There's a really nice, welcoming, group called "UCL" (Ukulele Club Liverpool) that Chris Hough is affiliated with, if you wanted to check 'em out online. Just to clarify, I don't have any particular connection with UCL or to Chris himself, but I just find his ukulele playing to be stunningly good (and fun to watch), and I'm kinda surprised we don't hear more about him; he seems like a very nice and modest guy.

Quote Originally Posted by rps View Post
    Thanx to all for your help. I think I have a better understanding now.

A further question if I may. The MiSi sounds like the answer. Just wondering as these have a charge f I plug my headphone directly into my Uke with this type of pickup, will they work? Iíve looked on the web but Iíve only gotten ďin theoryĒ answers. For those who have them, such as RafterGirl, do they work?
    The short answer is no.
    Generally speaking, "active pickup" does not mean you can plug headphone directly into the instrument.
    The signal needs to be amplified to headphone levels - such as by using an amplifier or there are "headphone amps" like ones made by VOX and Mooer Pogo that enable you to listen to electric instruments by plugging a headphone in.

eg:

The longer answer is, you may be able to faintly hear the output through the headphones, but not much/barely any.
    Not for any practical purposes.

And unless your ukulele is a silent type (solidbody) there aint much point.

Some ukuleles (such as Eleuke) have pickup systems specifically with a headphone output.

Thanx for this kissing. I have browsed this and didn’t get as complete an answer as yours. Thinking about where and how I play ( at this stage to say play is extremely generous ) I might just stay with using a mike.

However, if I decide to go with pickups, and there is no dramatic change in the technology, I’m thinking that MiSi are they way to go.

Direct headphone into pick-up.....probably not.
    Cable from pick-up to amp, then plug headphones into amp....yes.
    Go to the HMS/TheUkuleleSite website, then go to accessories, then pick-ups. You’ll see videos comparing various pick-ups. I like the MiSi because it has no battery to change & it sounds good.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019
    Kanilea KCS-SSP super soprano - circa 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sheehan View Post
    RPS, I don't mean to further complicate things, but I have always been impressed with the fact that one of the really competent players/performers out there--
    a British (I think) guy named Chris Hough, also known as "Ukulele Uff", opts to "mic up" his Martin soprano on stage rather than "plugging in". He usually plays from a seated position, and has one mic aimed at his ukulele and a second mic aimed at his voice (each mic has its own stand and boom). Most often there'll be a "sound guy" tweaking things and keeping feedback at bay, but if you check out some of the videos online featuring Ukulele Uff (and his guitar-playing partner, "Lonesome Dave"), you can see what good results they get from good old-fashioned "micing up".
    Hello Bill, I looked Chris Hough up. His trio is quite good ( I’m impressed with his guitar players ). He has a shade of George Formby in him. Honestly the speed is amazing of his wrist work....thanks for the heads up on him.

Bill for your enjoyment....

https://youtu.be/nqurVuSmezo

Hello Bill, I looked Chris Hough up. His trio is quite good ( I’m impressed with his guitar players ). He has a shade of George Formby in him. Honestly the speed is amazing of his wrist work....thanks for the heads up on him.
    Yes, definitely a shade of Mr. Formby there!

Bill for your enjoyment....

https://youtu.be/nqurVuSmezo
    Awesome! Thanks! Here's a link to one of my favorites, where he's trying out someone else's uke just off-the-cuff...

https://youtu.be/4K8_B2RAGd0

Thread Information