Fall 2019: WTB Low G BARI strings

cdkrugjr

Reaction score
Just put on my last set of Soutbcoast (RIP) LL-NW on my Bari for Low G So two questions:

1. Is anyone other than Living Water making Low G strings for Bari?

2. Is anyone in the US Contiguous 48 selling them?

I don’t mind ordering them from HI if that’s the only source, just seems a bit wasteful...

Yep, search Reverb for "PHD Ukulele Strings BARITONE GCEA Low G". I tried to attach a link, but the forum software flagged it as spam. These strings sound great on my 50s all-Mahogany Harmony baritone. Very fast shipping, good price. I've ordered from Lucy's twice through Reverb, and the service was excellent.

I have a set of Aquila strings in front of me, and the G is low. I just tested with a tuner. Both of my old Brazilian made Gianinni baritones are tuned dgbe and the d and g are both wound strings. The new package I just opened for inspection have both the d and g as wound, so that would work for using the g as your lowest string when doing a linear tuning rather than reentrant.. If you want to hear an awesome blues uke.....use a low g on both one and 4 and tune the one g up to become the a string .

Yep, search Reverb for "PHD Ukulele Strings BARITONE GCEA Low G". I tried to attach a link, but the forum software flagged it as spam. These strings sound great on my 50s all-Mahogany Harmony baritone. Very fast shipping, good price. I've ordered from Lucy's twice through Reverb, and the service was excellent.

Thanks! I'll check those out

I have a set of Aquila strings in front of me, and the G is low. I just tested with a tuner. Both of my old Brazilian made Gianinni baritones are tuned dgbe and the d and g are both wound strings. The new package I just opened for inspection have both the d and g as wound, so that would work for using the g as your lowest string when doing a linear tuning rather than reentrant.. If you want to hear an awesome blues uke.....use a low g on both one and 4 and tune the one g up to become the a string .

Thanks. I have my Pono "Nui" is baritone tuning, currently with Worth B-Bs.

My Kala spruce top Bari is pulling duty as a Rennaissance four-course guitar, which were "Low G" at 19" scale, hence the unusual stringing need.

Thanks!

As it happens I found a Worth SOPRANO Low G set lying around (BL-LG). While it's a smidgeon fatter than the Southcoasts, the tension is actually a bit lower. A bit of an expensive solution as you can only get one set out of them at Baritone scale, but it's not as if I have any Sopranos that would sound good Low G (I've tried...)

Thanks!

As it happens I found a Worth SOPRANO Low G set lying around (BL-LG). While it's a smidgeon fatter than the Southcoasts, the tension is actually a bit lower. A bit of an expensive solution as you can only get one set out of them at Baritone scale, but it's not as if I have any Sopranos that would sound good Low G (I've tried...)

So just to understand, are you saying I can take a set of low G tenor Worth strings either brown or clear and because they come double length, use them to string my Baritone in GCEA? I though about that but wondered if the string widths would be somehow wrong for the baritone.

So just to understand, are you saying I can take a set of low G tenor Worth strings either brown or clear and because they come double length, use them to string my Baritone in GCEA? I though about that but wondered if the string widths would be somehow wrong for the baritone.

Well it works so far...tension is soft, so I’m not worried about pulling the bridge

I think I’ll eventually wind up with Living Waters. The Worths are for smaller ukes, so there’s no “two sets worth, essentially doubling the price

No you can’t use TENOR low G, he said SOPRANO Low G. Because soprano are much smaller in diameter they have less tension so you can tune them to GCEA on a +20” scale baritone and not worry about the tension being too high. It would be too high with tenor gauge strings which are thicker in diameter.

No you can’t use TENOR low G, he said SOPRANO Low G. Because soprano are much smaller in diameter they have less tension so you can tune them to GCEA on a +20” scale baritone and not worry about the tension being too high. It would be too high with tenor gauge strings which are thicker in diameter.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Top Bottom