Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Fall 2019: WTB Low G BARI strings

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    254

    Default Fall 2019: WTB Low G BARI strings

    Just put on my last set of Soutbcoast (RIP) LL-NW on my Bari for Low G So two questions:

    1. Is anyone other than Living Water making Low G strings for Bari?

    2. Is anyone in the US Contiguous 48 selling them?

    I donít mind ordering them from HI if thatís the only source, just seems a bit wasteful...
    Concert: Lanikai LU-21C (Southcoast MU)
    Soprano: Kala KA-PWS (Southcoast Machete)
    Baritone "Rennaissance Guitar": Kala KA-SBG (C-Linear with Worth BL-LGs currently.)
    Tenor: Kala ATP-CTG (Southcoast LMU-NW
    Tenor "Low G': Kala KA-FMTG (Southcoast LML-NW
    Tenor: Kala SRT-CTG-E (Southcoast LMU-NW
    Baritone "Nui": Pono NS-10 (Worth B-B)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Yep, search Reverb for "PHD Ukulele Strings BARITONE GCEA Low G". I tried to attach a link, but the forum software flagged it as spam. These strings sound great on my 50s all-Mahogany Harmony baritone. Very fast shipping, good price. I've ordered from Lucy's twice through Reverb, and the service was excellent.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Salem,Oregon
    Posts
    1,267

    Default

    I have a set of Aquila strings in front of me, and the G is low. I just tested with a tuner. Both of my old Brazilian made Gianinni baritones are tuned dgbe and the d and g are both wound strings. The new package I just opened for inspection have both the d and g as wound, so that would work for using the g as your lowest string when doing a linear tuning rather than reentrant.. If you want to hear an awesome blues uke.....use a low g on both one and 4 and tune the one g up to become the a string .

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    316

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyturley View Post
    Yep, search Reverb for "PHD Ukulele Strings BARITONE GCEA Low G". I tried to attach a link, but the forum software flagged it as spam. These strings sound great on my 50s all-Mahogany Harmony baritone. Very fast shipping, good price. I've ordered from Lucy's twice through Reverb, and the service was excellent.
    Thanks! I'll check those out
    Concert: Lanikai LU-21C (Southcoast MU)
    Soprano: Kala KA-PWS (Southcoast Machete)
    Baritone "Rennaissance Guitar": Kala KA-SBG (C-Linear with Worth BL-LGs currently.)
    Tenor: Kala ATP-CTG (Southcoast LMU-NW
    Tenor "Low G': Kala KA-FMTG (Southcoast LML-NW
    Tenor: Kala SRT-CTG-E (Southcoast LMU-NW
    Baritone "Nui": Pono NS-10 (Worth B-B)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCraftedCow View Post
    I have a set of Aquila strings in front of me, and the G is low. I just tested with a tuner. Both of my old Brazilian made Gianinni baritones are tuned dgbe and the d and g are both wound strings. The new package I just opened for inspection have both the d and g as wound, so that would work for using the g as your lowest string when doing a linear tuning rather than reentrant.. If you want to hear an awesome blues uke.....use a low g on both one and 4 and tune the one g up to become the a string .
    Thanks. I have my Pono "Nui" is baritone tuning, currently with Worth B-Bs.

    My Kala spruce top Bari is pulling duty as a Rennaissance four-course guitar, which were "Low G" at 19" scale, hence the unusual stringing need.
    Concert: Lanikai LU-21C (Southcoast MU)
    Soprano: Kala KA-PWS (Southcoast Machete)
    Baritone "Rennaissance Guitar": Kala KA-SBG (C-Linear with Worth BL-LGs currently.)
    Tenor: Kala ATP-CTG (Southcoast LMU-NW
    Tenor "Low G': Kala KA-FMTG (Southcoast LML-NW
    Tenor: Kala SRT-CTG-E (Southcoast LMU-NW
    Baritone "Nui": Pono NS-10 (Worth B-B)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fromthee2me View Post
    Thanks!

    As it happens I found a Worth SOPRANO Low G set lying around (BL-LG). While it's a smidgeon fatter than the Southcoasts, the tension is actually a bit lower. A bit of an expensive solution as you can only get one set out of them at Baritone scale, but it's not as if I have any Sopranos that would sound good Low G (I've tried...)
    Concert: Lanikai LU-21C (Southcoast MU)
    Soprano: Kala KA-PWS (Southcoast Machete)
    Baritone "Rennaissance Guitar": Kala KA-SBG (C-Linear with Worth BL-LGs currently.)
    Tenor: Kala ATP-CTG (Southcoast LMU-NW
    Tenor "Low G': Kala KA-FMTG (Southcoast LML-NW
    Tenor: Kala SRT-CTG-E (Southcoast LMU-NW
    Baritone "Nui": Pono NS-10 (Worth B-B)

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdkrugjr View Post
    Thanks!

    As it happens I found a Worth SOPRANO Low G set lying around (BL-LG). While it's a smidgeon fatter than the Southcoasts, the tension is actually a bit lower. A bit of an expensive solution as you can only get one set out of them at Baritone scale, but it's not as if I have any Sopranos that would sound good Low G (I've tried...)
    So just to understand, are you saying I can take a set of low G tenor Worth strings either brown or clear and because they come double length, use them to string my Baritone in GCEA? I though about that but wondered if the string widths would be somehow wrong for the baritone.
    Kamaka (S) Gold Label, Bonanza (C) Cherry Oreo, Pono (T) mahogany, KoAloha (T), Kala (B) Cedar top/Mahog laminate.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBegall View Post
    So just to understand, are you saying I can take a set of low G tenor Worth strings either brown or clear and because they come double length, use them to string my Baritone in GCEA? I though about that but wondered if the string widths would be somehow wrong for the baritone.
    Well it works so far...tension is soft, so I’m not worried about pulling the bridge

    I think I’ll eventually wind up with Living Waters. The Worths are for smaller ukes, so there’s no “two sets worth, essentially doubling the price
    Concert: Lanikai LU-21C (Southcoast MU)
    Soprano: Kala KA-PWS (Southcoast Machete)
    Baritone "Rennaissance Guitar": Kala KA-SBG (C-Linear with Worth BL-LGs currently.)
    Tenor: Kala ATP-CTG (Southcoast LMU-NW
    Tenor "Low G': Kala KA-FMTG (Southcoast LML-NW
    Tenor: Kala SRT-CTG-E (Southcoast LMU-NW
    Baritone "Nui": Pono NS-10 (Worth B-B)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Pickering, ON, Canada
    Posts
    5,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBegall View Post
    So just to understand, are you saying I can take a set of low G tenor Worth strings either brown or clear and because they come double length, use them to string my Baritone in GCEA? I though about that but wondered if the string widths would be somehow wrong for the baritone.
    No you can’t use TENOR low G, he said SOPRANO Low G. Because soprano are much smaller in diameter they have less tension so you can tune them to GCEA on a +20” scale baritone and not worry about the tension being too high. It would be too high with tenor gauge strings which are thicker in diameter.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •