Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1928 Martin 2-18T tenor guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Martinlover View Post
    I love it. It’s a Martin.
    It’s as though Martin made a super baritone.

The only interest I've seen in this guitar is one fellow in France and one in Japan. Since there is Brazillian Rosewood in the binding CITES paperwork prevents me from shipping this one out of the country.
    I'm giving serious consideration to putting it back in the vault for awhile. Any interest here?

Last bump for September. This video is from 2017

Last edited by Cornfield; 09-25-2019 at 03:26 AM.

What a fantastic tenor guitar, Cornfield. I'll help you out with the sale by sweetening the deal. That Martin belongs with someone who will cherish and play it!

To the UUer who buys this instrument: I have a collection of tenor banjo / tenor guitar instruction and music books (some of which are hard to find) for CGDA fifths tuning. Total value of this collection is between $120 and $200. If you purchase this instrument and live in CONUS, I am willing to send you the books free of charge. Books cover everything from beginning method books and chord bibles to arranging chord-melodies, Dixieland arrangements, and Bach cello suite transcriptions.
    "Who hears music, feels his solitude Peopled at once -- for how count heart-beats plain / Unless a company, with hearts which beat, / Come close to the musician, seen or no?" - Robert Browning, "Balaustion's Adventure"

You guys are really making this difficult to resist and I’ve never played a tenor guitar. Must step away from the screen and go play baritone.

It’s Octobumpfest time.

Going to Martin Guitar Factory tomorrow. Perhaps it will inspire me to jump on this?

Going to Martin Guitar Factory tomorrow. Perhaps it will inspire me to jump on this?
    Have fun there. Do they have guided tours?

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Have fun there. Do they have guided tours?
    If you happen to be traveling nearby, it’s well worth the visit. The guided tour takes about an hour and there’s little museum (original Konter uke is there as well as many vintage Martin guitars). There is a room where you can strum some new guitars but there are no tenor guitars to be seen, not even in the museum. When I asked about tenor guitars, the tour guide looked puzzled.

If you happen to be traveling nearby, it’s well worth the visit. The guided tour takes about an hour and there’s little museum (original Konter uke is there as well as many vintage Martin guitars). There is a room where you can strum some new guitars but there are no tenor guitars to be seen, not even in the museum. When I asked about tenor guitars, the tour guide looked puzzled.
    Tenor guitars are kind of a like a bastard in the guitar family. In the late 1920's, the tenor banjo was falling out of favor while the guitar was becoming popular. Tenor banjo players wanted to switch to guitar but were having trouble learning how to play 6 string instruments. The tenor guitar was built to sell to them.
    They had a small resurgence when the Kingston Trio's Nick Reynolds became a star during the folk scare.

Thread Information