Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Supergroup, what the ukulele community needs

Default A Supergroup, what the ukulele community needs

A modest proposal:

I was thinking about Jake and wondering what you would have if Jake were a member of a group. Suppose you had a killer bass player, a percussionist, a great rhythm ukulele player, baritone or tenor, and Jake as a lead player like a lead guitarist, and all or most of them capable of singing in harmony and throw in some very nice songwriting. You’d have something like the Beatles without guitars but rather ukuleles. This would bring a lot of attention to the ukulele and its possibilities.

No, I’m not smoking anything, just thinking what if.

I guess the idea I’m playing with is rather than having players like Jake having one person shows you put them in groups where they work with equally talented players, but don’t dominate the show.

There have been Hawaiian super groups that included ukulele players, the Crater Boys for example, but they were only a duo.

Leeward was part of Hui Ohana with Dennis Pavao. Gabby was in a supergroup in the Hawaiian Renaissance. But where are our supergroup ukulele rock groups, the Cream of ukuleles?

Young dudes and dudettes out there, get kicking!

Confluence of the Mississippi and Rum Rivers

Well I don't know if they are "super group" material but there are the Mother Ukers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rdfnUdC1lc

OR Ukebox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rdfnUdC1lc

and don't forget Ukulele Death Squad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5C9-UfRczY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdSsuK90e6E
    Last edited by mjh42; 09-12-2019 at 12:44 PM.

Definitely cool. Thanks. Fun. Nice videos. I like the use of the sax and the uke bass works. Would like to hear some Beatles or Everly Brothers like harmony with some super uke group, but that’s my taste.

The one improvement I’d make is to not be afraid of using an electric uke and feeding it through a guitar amp, get that rock guitar sound. We don’t always need that chunkity chunk rhythm sound. You can make the argument that that’s what guitars are for but I’ll say that’s also what ukes could be for.

You know the problem with "Super" groups is that the members of these groups just end up hating each other due to personal and musical differences yet just stay together for the money.

Where's the "Mahalo" in that?

Sorry to be a buzzkill, yet there's nothing wrong with keeping ukulele music more relaxed than that.

Well there’s a lot of truth that many of these super groups fall apart because of super egos clashing, but sometimes they just last long enough to produce some wonderful material. I think that’s where the aloha lies.

Aloha Kimosabe, have you heard of Beat-lele? They do a pretty good job of Beatles covers with ukuleles and a cajon.

Hope to see you around sometime! You still on Oahu?

1:5255
    My Quiver: S & J Craft Milo Tenor "Liliu" six string custom and Milo and Lychee concert by Emil Bader
    Pono PKT-1 Koa Tenor w/MiSi, Lanikai LU-21T - Autographed!, Hikare CU 528 Baritone
    R&L all koa mini concert, Mainland Gecko, Epiphone Les Paul Vintage, Kala Concert
    Compass Rose 5 string
    Nothin' left to do but : ) : ) : )

Long time, Pueo. Hope all is well. Very sweet. Are these the guys who were playing at the last Waikiki Ukulele Festival, down Diamond Head end? If they are the crowd was really enjoying them. The cajón works well with ukuleles, not too overpowering but solid, organic.

Now we need a group like this that can write their own material. I know I’m asking too much but Jerry Santos and Robert Beaumont were definitely heading in this direction on that first Olomana record. Some great songs, singing and playing. Let’s put Jake into a group like that. Probably best to ask him first though. He might be busy at some garage party.
    Aloha.

Not a super "group" but these guys are pretty good.

The guy playing uke could have a real future... lol!

John

Confluence of the Mississippi and Rum Rivers

[QUOTE=Kimosabe;2178842

The one improvement I’d make is to not be afraid of using an electric uke and feeding it through a guitar amp, get that rock guitar sound. We don’t always need that chunkity chunk rhythm sound. You can make the argument that that’s what guitars are for but I’ll say that’s also what ukes could be for.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKZzU5yI3zY

Good example, mjh42. I think your average bloke on the street needs to know that an ukulele can be played like what you provided. It certainly doesn’t always have to be played like that but a group should have variety. The Beatles and the Stones used electric and acoustic instruments. Sometimes you just want Carlos Santana to play in a different style. Break it up.

Very nice playing. I’m going to listen again. Might have to grab Mr. Pi’ikea Vasquez and put him in our supergroup. I bet he also plays very well acoustically. If you played a tape of him for your average rock fan they probably wouldn’t guess it was a ukulele being played. Some of Ohta-san’s bossa nova work hides the fact that he’s playing ukulele.

This kind of leads back to an earlier topic on the UU: Do you seek out ukulele music? My answer is that I seek out music that sounds good to me.
    Last edited by Kimosabe; 09-12-2019 at 03:37 PM.

Thread Information