A Supergroup, what the ukulele community needs

Touché, Kissing. Bravo! You said the magic word.
C09ED250-D3A0-4E83-9C0E-E75C6494116B.jpg

I think Brad Bordessa nailed it. The rest of y'all can stop talking now :p

Brad is so humble. Here he is fronting a supergroup:

Maybe the best thing is not having a mainstream commercially successful supergroup. Considering how many ukuleles have been sold around the world it is amazing that the instrument still has not found its way into more contemporary music. But in some ways that is more of a blessing.

Unlike the guitar, which will always generate comparisons to better musicians, anyone can pick up a ukulele and play at whatever level and it is acceptable. I’m not saying there are not great ukulele artists out there, but there are so many more everyday ukulele players that are never compared. From purely a player’s perspective it is the most liberating instrument. If I hear a song, I’ll look up the chords, figure out the melody, and see how it works out. Lately I’ve simplified things, but it doesn’t really matter because I enjoy it and I make it my own.

John

Back to my original suggested definition of a supergroup: It must include great song writers. Steve Stills, Neil Young, Richie Furay, and a great rhythm section, Buffalo Springfield.

Jake and Tommy are virtuosos, no doubt, but they’re not great singers or songwriters. A super group could include musicians who are not virtuosos, a group such as the Beatles, or even the Band, though they were all solid musicians.

Back to my original suggested definition of a supergroup: It must include great song writers. Steve Stills, Neil Young, Richie Furay, and a great rhythm section, Buffalo Springfield.

Jake and Tommy are virtuosos, no doubt, but they’re not great singers or songwriters. A super group could include musicians who are not virtuosos, a group such as the Beatles, or even the Band, though they were all solid musicians.

It’ll never happen. If George Harrison, with his love of the instrument, couldn’t incorporate the ukulele into the Beatles, how do you expect anyone else will be able to?

In the genre you refer to, the “only” aspect that a ukulele brings is a unique re-entrant sound. Other than that there are no other riffs, licks, or chords that can’t be duplicated on a guitar. But will that re-entrant sound really displace, for example, a David Crosby 12 string sound?

I’m not saying there won’t ever be a commercially successful band with a ukulele, after all mandolins have found a presence in some bands, but I just don’t see it as the foundation instrument for the band’s sound.

John

Top Bottom