Bubabubabinga from LMI

sequoia

Reaction score
Got an email promotion from LMI for Bubinga sides and backs today. I've never worked with this wood other than for peghead vaneers so I'm not really familiar with it. How does it work for back and sides?

I found this statement interesting though:

Sadly, Bubinga trees, which are not considered endangered, have been grouped with the Rosewoods in the CITES prohibitions. The rules will, before the end of 2019, be lifted for the export of finished instruments, but LMI (and other suppliers) will still be facing hurdles sell wood parts and sets to our international customers. This is mainly because custom officials will not be able to consistently tell the difference between Bubinga and Rosewood.

Interesting in that the wood is not even closely related to rosewood.

bubinga-sealed.jpg

https://www.wood-database.com/bubinga/

Bubinga is a great tonewood.

Instruments made from it tend to be harder to sell as most people don't know it as much as other great tonewoods. Same problem with Ovangkol .

Bubinga will sure load up the belt on a drum sander fast but makes a nice instrument.

I've never known bubinga to have cavernous pores. Every employee who stays with Huss & Dalton for five years gets a free guitar of their choice. I received mine in 2002, and I chose bubinga for the back and sides. Somehow I didn't take a picture of the back, but here's some shots that feature the bubinga. Bubinga is easily in the rosewood class as far as hardness and acoustic properties.
H a.jpg

DSC_0135 - Copy.jpg

DSC_0131 (2) - Copy.jpg

Top Bottom