Famous FS-3 soprano

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Ran across this one on eBay, an FS-3. I assume it's an older model, as seen by the logo style. Most of these seem to have the Martin-style birds beak at the end of a 12 fret fingerboard, unlike most Famous ukes. I think these are made of a bubinga wood laminate, similar to their high quality mahogany and koa laminate Eco Series FS-1 and FS-5.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Famous-Ukl...561536?hash=item5b5dd98980:g:kXUAAOSwEGhddGK8

The last pic shows another one, with the modern logo, for sale on a website in Japan. https://buyee.jp/mercari/item/m42191442891

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

Last edited:
I wish we had more models of Famous/Kiwaya readily available here. I'm a huge fan of their laminates (despite that fact that I sold mine)

I bet a lot folks are already aware of this, but if you do a search for "famous ukulele" on https://global.rakuten.com/en/ you run across several model that we don't have in the US. (some of these are on reverb or Ebay too but you can find them for less on this site).

There are eco-series concert models, pineapple, long necks, long neck pinapples, and a few other sopranos. Also, I know this has been mentioned before but its worth mentioning again that "Famous" branded KS-1 (so FS-1) and KS-5 (so FS-5) can be found on this site for $100 less then the Kiwaya's that are available to most of us.

I've been eyeballing these 3 models as of late
- A laminate cherry soprano
- A 17-fret sunburst finished laminate mahogany soprano
- A long neck laminate Koa soprano (presumably just a long neck KS-5/FS-5)

I'm trying to have fewer not more ukes right now though so I haven't bitten.

I wish we had more models of Famous/Kiwaya readily available here. I'm a huge fan of their laminates (despite that fact that I sold mine)

I bet a lot folks are already aware of this, but if you do a search for "famous ukulele" on https://global.rakuten.com/en/ you run across several model that we don't have in the US. (some of these are on reverb or Ebay too but you can find them for less on this site).

There are eco-series concert models, pineapple, long necks, long neck pinapples, and a few other sopranos. Also, I know this has been mentioned before but its worth mentioning again that "Famous" branded KS-1 (so FS-1) and KS-5 (so FS-5) can be found on this site for $100 less then the Kiwaya's that are available to most of us.

I've been eyeballing these 3 models as of late
- A laminate cherry soprano
- A 17-fret sunburst finished laminate mahogany soprano
- A long neck laminate Koa soprano (presumably just a long neck KS-5/FS-5)

I'm trying to have fewer not more ukes right now though so I haven't bitten.

I know there's a language factor going on, of course, but I thought it was interesting how the online ad for the laminate cherry soprano describes its tone as "chewy". Come to think of it, I guess that's not too different from using a term like "crunchy"! :eek:)

I know there's a language factor going on, of course, but I thought it was interesting how the online ad for the laminate cherry soprano describes its tone as "chewy". Come to think of it, I guess that's not too different from using a term like "crunchy"! :eek:)

Yeah. I was wondering exactly what that whole statement meant. I'm guessing it is the output of Google translate.

"A new constant seller model appears in Famous, and FS-1G, midrange that the pattern that is the sound that is mellower than FS-5G is chewy and moderate SusTeen are attractive"

I think it is saying that it is a new model/best seller that is midrange in either sound or price or both between the FS-1 and FS-5. Or maybe it is saying that tonally it has a lot of midrange. I'd be really curious to hear how it sounds, but not curious enough to buy it right now.

BTW, if you google the model numbers you can find sound samples of some of these other models on YouTube videos from Japanese retailer. Haven't been able to find a sample of the cherry one though.

Last edited:
Hi, CPG!

Go to this page and click left links. We can see Kiwaya's domestic and export models (see the figure below).

Yeah, plus 2 strings in the same bridge slot, sounds like a recipe for a slot blowout.
"slot blowout" ha. I like it...the term at least...I wouldn't like it if it happened to one of my ukes. I hadn't thought of that part..but yeah I can see your point.

I know there's a language factor going on, of course, but I thought it was interesting how the online ad for the laminate cherry soprano describes its tone as "chewy".

I'll take a stab at translating from the original - Google Translate is just awful for Japanese.
[FONT=&quot]
FS-5Gに比べまろやかなサウンドながらもコシのある中音域と程よいサスティーンが魅力的

[/FONT]
Something like... a mellower sound than the FS-5G with a resilient midrange and maximum sustain

I'll take a stab at translating from the original - Google Translate is just awful for Japanese.
[FONT="]
FS-5Gに比べまろやかなサウンドながらもコシのある中音域と程よいサスティーンが魅力的

[/FONT]
Something like... a mellower sound than the FS-5G with a resilient midrange and maximum sustain

Cool! Thanks!

Top Bottom