Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Famous FS-3 soprano

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,850

    Default Famous FS-3 soprano

    Ran across this one on eBay, an FS-3. I assume it's an older model, as seen by the logo style. Most of these seem to have the Martin-style birds beak at the end of a 12 fret fingerboard, unlike most Famous ukes. I think these are made of a bubinga wood laminate, similar to their high quality mahogany and koa laminate Eco Series FS-1 and FS-5.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Famous-Ukle...UAAOSwEGhddGK8

    The last pic shows another one, with the modern logo, for sale on a website in Japan. https://buyee.jp/mercari/item/m42191442891

    1.JPG
    2.JPG
    3.JPG
    4.JPG
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 09-13-2019 at 03:35 AM.
    John

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,850

    Default

    Geez, one guy even did a 5-string conversion to his!

    http://ukulelele.seesaa.net/category/6587228-1.html

    5.JPG
    6.JPG
    7.JPG
    John

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    West Philly, PA
    Posts
    185

    Default

    I wish we had more models of Famous/Kiwaya readily available here. I'm a huge fan of their laminates (despite that fact that I sold mine)

    I bet a lot folks are already aware of this, but if you do a search for "famous ukulele" on https://global.rakuten.com/en/ you run across several model that we don't have in the US. (some of these are on reverb or Ebay too but you can find them for less on this site).

    There are eco-series concert models, pineapple, long necks, long neck pinapples, and a few other sopranos. Also, I know this has been mentioned before but its worth mentioning again that "Famous" branded KS-1 (so FS-1) and KS-5 (so FS-5) can be found on this site for $100 less then the Kiwaya's that are available to most of us.

    I've been eyeballing these 3 models as of late
    - A laminate cherry soprano
    - A 17-fret sunburst finished laminate mahogany soprano
    - A long neck laminate Koa soprano (presumably just a long neck KS-5/FS-5)


    I'm trying to have fewer not more ukes right now though so I haven't bitten.
    Takumi TC-1M Mahogany Concert
    1940s Martin Mahogany Concert
    Martin OXK Soprano

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Geez, one guy even did a 5-string conversion to his!

    http://ukulelele.seesaa.net/category/6587228-1.html

    5.JPG
    6.JPG
    7.JPG
    Whoa. That is odd! It looks like it works alright though. ha....unless that C string is rubbing against the G post...looks pretty tight.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    West Philly, PA
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Most of these seem to have the Martin-style birds beak at the end of a 12 fret fingerboard, unlike most Famous ukes.

    This FS-6G looks like it is essentially an FS-1G but with that same kind of fretboard. It pricier than the FS-1's though so maybe it's nicer in some way.

    https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/...m/160523-011y/
    Takumi TC-1M Mahogany Concert
    1940s Martin Mahogany Concert
    Martin OXK Soprano

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jer View Post
    Whoa. That is odd! It looks like it works alright though. ha....unless that C string is rubbing against the G post...looks pretty tight.
    Yeah, plus 2 strings in the same bridge slot, sounds like a recipe for a slot blowout.
    John

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Springfield, IL
    Posts
    1,141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CPG View Post
    I wish we had more models of Famous/Kiwaya readily available here. I'm a huge fan of their laminates (despite that fact that I sold mine)

    I bet a lot folks are already aware of this, but if you do a search for "famous ukulele" on https://global.rakuten.com/en/ you run across several model that we don't have in the US. (some of these are on reverb or Ebay too but you can find them for less on this site).

    There are eco-series concert models, pineapple, long necks, long neck pinapples, and a few other sopranos. Also, I know this has been mentioned before but its worth mentioning again that "Famous" branded KS-1 (so FS-1) and KS-5 (so FS-5) can be found on this site for $100 less then the Kiwaya's that are available to most of us.

    I've been eyeballing these 3 models as of late
    - A laminate cherry soprano
    - A 17-fret sunburst finished laminate mahogany soprano
    - A long neck laminate Koa soprano (presumably just a long neck KS-5/FS-5)


    I'm trying to have fewer not more ukes right now though so I haven't bitten.
    I know there's a language factor going on, of course, but I thought it was interesting how the online ad for the laminate cherry soprano describes its tone as "chewy". Come to think of it, I guess that's not too different from using a term like "crunchy"! )

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    West Philly, PA
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sheehan View Post
    I know there's a language factor going on, of course, but I thought it was interesting how the online ad for the laminate cherry soprano describes its tone as "chewy". Come to think of it, I guess that's not too different from using a term like "crunchy"! )
    Yeah. I was wondering exactly what that whole statement meant. I'm guessing it is the output of Google translate.

    "A new constant seller model appears in Famous, and FS-1G, midrange that the pattern that is the sound that is mellower than FS-5G is chewy and moderate SusTeen are attractive"

    I think it is saying that it is a new model/best seller that is midrange in either sound or price or both between the FS-1 and FS-5. Or maybe it is saying that tonally it has a lot of midrange. I'd be really curious to hear how it sounds, but not curious enough to buy it right now.

    BTW, if you google the model numbers you can find sound samples of some of these other models on YouTube videos from Japanese retailer. Haven't been able to find a sample of the cherry one though.
    Last edited by CPG; 09-13-2019 at 05:25 AM.
    Takumi TC-1M Mahogany Concert
    1940s Martin Mahogany Concert
    Martin OXK Soprano

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    4,329

    Default

    "dirty" They couldn't wipe it down?
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Kyoto Japan
    Posts
    253

    Default

    Hi, CPG!

    Go to this page and click left links. We can see Kiwaya's domestic and export models (see the figure below).


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •