Should banjo uke strings go above or below tailpiece

I liked this one because I could knot the string, string a bead on it and just put the strings between the balls.
As to the other. I like my strings over.

I believe it is designed for the strings to go through the holes and under the end of the tailpiece. This should give proper string-break angle for tone and to keep the bridge from moving when played.

Thank you, Tim Mullins. I was wondering, but it's nice to hear from someone else.

I have used both types on my instruments and I much prefer the no knot tailpiece using the beads as described by The Capt. I have used the Stewmac type strung both ways, I prefer over rather than through as sometimes the underside is not finished all that well and strings could potentially break.

In order to get the proper break angle, the strings should go under the tailpiece.

Doc

I have used both types on my instruments and I much prefer the no knot tailpiece using the beads as described by The Capt. I have used the Stewmac type strung both ways, I prefer over rather than through as sometimes the underside is not finished all that well and strings could potentially break.

Thanks, Dennis. I'm so glad you actually replied. This is actually for one of your instruments that I recently acquired through another UU member. It's one of your UB2 copies. It's a beauty, but it's a bit older and needs some maintenance before it'll be ready to play. I've got a new head on it, some strings ready to go, and once it gets a bit of a fret dressing, it'll be up and running. I'll send you a photo of your lovely instrument. I think I'll order the no-knot tailpiece based on your recommendation.

The strings go over the top on a No Knot. To get the best tone, the No Knot should be resting on the tension hoop.

Doc

Thanks, Dennis. I'm so glad you actually replied. This is actually for one of your instruments that I recently acquired through another UU member. It's one of your UB2 copies. It's a beauty, but it's a bit older and needs some maintenance before it'll be ready to play. I've got a new head on it, some strings ready to go, and once it gets a bit of a fret dressing, it'll be up and running. I'll send you a photo of your lovely instrument. I think I'll order the no-knot tailpiece based on your recommendation.

The no knot is my go to tailpiece, now and has been for some time. If you are going the bead route which is super easy, just make sure you get a five post one. Five posts = four spaces. I would love to see your photos when its finished.

Top Bottom