Recommendations for cases/bags for long neck sop?

ukeinfused

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
My wife calls me the "Ukulele Fairy".
I collect inexpensive ukes and give them away to kids and adults who might not otherwise be able to have one (or to individuals and groups that do the same).

I would like to locate inexpensive gig bags as well as hard cases for long neck sopranos (such as the Kala KA-SLNG) that fit well and won't break the bank...

Recommendations?

This is just a suggestion for inexpensive options:

used Tennis Racket Bags.

some are pretty nice and even a bit padded, but mostly just weather protection and ease of carry :)

if you find the double-racket cases, they can be very nice and roomy, enough for soprano
hard cases even. Also music stand and ipads, etc :)

keep uke'in',

Tracie, I have found they usually fit in any soprano gig bag. Hard cases may well be different, but gig bags, with less structure, can usually stretch that little bit more. You probably don't want to spend this much on something to give away, but the Fremont/Steady bags are a great option. Most of the protection of a hard case.

Last edited:
Great idea!

used Tennis Racket Bags.

some are pretty nice and even a bit padded, but mostly just weather protection and ease of carry :)

if you find the double-racket cases, they can be very nice and roomy, enough for soprano

keep uke'in',

What about a concert bag for a long neck? Padding inside of a bag is a very simple thing to do. Put the soft case over a piece of paper and trace the outlne of the outside. Most have a 1/2 inch seam sewn around the outside border, so cut a piece ofcardboard about the weight of a shoe box or a post card 1/2 wide and lay it on the pattern and trace that around the inside edge of your paper large pattern, and what you will have is the pattern for what you use for inside padding. A piece of 1/2 inch thick foam rubber on the bottom and top of the case makes wonderful padding. If you spray glue a piece of fabric to both of the the pads before you glue them to the top and bottom of the soft case, it looks good and gives really good protection for the instrument inside. The same procedure works for lining the side of the body of a case. I leave the edge of the top piece as it is.

### 1 person said he liked my creativity and ambition for lining my cases....a plush piece of carpet cut like it tells above will make a plush pad and also offer a thicker outside top and bottom.
Being a professional upholsterer and leather craftsman, I have made several cases of my own from the material of my choice. One is wide enough to hold my three travel ukes with three different tunings(They are inside separate soft cases) #1 low G #2 high G #3 LOW G and A.

If anyone wants a case with features that they want, or a certain material and or colour material,, let's talk....

Last edited:
What about a concert bag for a long neck? Padding inside of a bag is a very simple thing to do. Put the soft case over a piece of paper and trace the outlne of the outside. Most have a 1/2 inch seam sewn around the outside border, so cut a piece ofcardboard about the weight of a shoe box or a post card 1/2 wide. Put that around the inside edge of your paper large pattern, and what you will have is the pattern for what you use for inside padding. A piece of 1/2 inch thick foam rubber on the bottom and top of the case makes wonderful padding. If you spray glue a piece of fabric to both of the the pads before you glue them to the top and bottom of the soft case, it looks good and gives really good protection for the instrument inside. The same procedure works for lining the side of the body of a case. I leave the edge of the top piece as it is.

I love your creativity (and ambition, LOL).

I don't have specific recommendations, but I do have some comments on sizing which I've found to be tricky, especially if you don't have a local shop and can test the fit in person.

I have two longneck sopranos, and neither fits in a standard soprano gig bag - I've had to buy concert sized gig bags for both. One's a pineapple, so that might explain it partly.... but then neither fits in my ancient soprano sized, pineapple-shaped chipboard case either. But one fits perfectly in my soprano sized O'ahu hard case - not exactly inexpensive, but in my opinion the best hard case for the money.

used Tennis Racket Bags.

keep uke'in',

I use baseball bat case for my travel guitar. It is very good for me.

Top Bottom