Experiment: BL-LGs as Low G on a Bari

cdkrugjr

Reaction score
My last set of Southcoast (RIP) LL-NWs gave up the ghost.

While I search for a new flouro replacement, I discovered I had a set of Worth BL-LGs, which they sell as "Low G Soprano."

Fitting them up, they're a smidge heavier than the LL-NWs, but up to tension they're actually a bit softer.

This is a Kala 19" Bari that never sounded Great in Low D, but sounded pretty sweet in Low E. When I got my NUI, which is AMAZING in Low D, I promoted this to "Rennaissance 4-course Guitar" for Renn repetoire like Mudarra. I always liked this guy in Linear C, even for jazz and stuff, though I like my Low G tenor better for that . . . . joy.

Just want to make sure I understand what you’re saying because it’s interesting. Is your NUI your Kala baritone that never sounded good in low D tuning? Or is it a different ukulele? We are coming to the point where our Southcoast sets might be wearing out.

I and others sometimes string our baritones with linear C. Glen Rose uses this tuning with much success in his jazz playing and teaching.

I suppose I could google it, but what is "linear" tuning?

I suppose I could google it, but what is "linear" tuning?

The opposite of reentrant. So a "low G" uke (GCEA) would be in "linear C" tuning whereas a "high G" (gCEA) would be "reentrant C" tuning

Re Kimosabe: "We are coming to the point where our Southcoast sets might be wearing out."

I used Worth for a few years & was happy with them. Then I started experimenting with various sets of Dirk's Southcoast strings. After several years I had chosen the set I was happy to stick with when we sadly lost poor Dirk. Probably I would've ended up with one uke strung with Worth Clears & the other with Dirk's, as I liked them both. So now I'm using strictly Worth Clears. I'm not interested in further experimentation now, I'm too old & can't be bothered.

Last edited:
I could use some clarification as well. I much prefer 19" baritone over 20" so knowing of other options is good. Are you saying you have the BL-LG set at GCEA tuning on the Kala 19"?

I could use some clarification as well. I much prefer 19" baritone over 20" so knowing of other options is good. Are you saying you have the BL-LG set at GCEA tuning on the Kala 19"?

I was on a Kala spree for a bit. I have a spice tenor and a spruce Bari, both low g.

The Bari is the object of today’s saga.

Top Bottom