Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning, conditioning & new strings on dusty, dirty vintage uke bring it to life

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Jim View Post
    Same here - first thing I do with a used instrument is clean up the fretboard, polish the frets, give the body a rub down. Makes it feel more my own somehow.
    I wonder if you could lightly sand the braces inside (I'm talking like 1-2 passes max), just to release that wood smell...

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Jim View Post
    Same here - first thing I do with a used instrument is clean up the fretboard, polish the frets, give the body a rub down. Makes it feel more my own somehow.
    Exactly. I do that with a new or used instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrdr View Post
    I wonder if you could lightly sand the braces inside (I'm talking like 1-2 passes max), just to release that wood smell...
    That is a really interesting idea. I've never heard of it being done...but it makes me wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_J View Post
    ...there are better polishes for lacquer finishes.
    I've had similar success with Howard's Feed N Wax. Doc_J, you sparked my interest...do tell. Better polishes for lacquer finishes?
    Adam

C.F. Martin (C1K) All Solid Koa Concert - Martin M610 Premium Polygut Soprano/Concert
    Kremona Coco All Solid Cedar / Indian Rosewood - Savarez 140R Soprano/Concert
    Kala (KA-SPMT-TRI) All Solid Spruce / Pau Ferro / Mango Tenor - PhD Ukulele Strings Tenor Low G
    Kala (KA-SWG-BL) Glow-in-the-Dark Aqua Matte Waterman Soprano - Martin M600 Clear Fluorocarbon Soprano/Concert

Wow, it looks great! I love seeing old ukes cleaned up like that. I've cleaned up some old closet sitters and sold them. It's fun.
    When UAS hits me, I take the strings off my Cocobolo and polish the heck out of it, and put on new strings, and it feels like new! And I save tons of cash!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftsailor98 View Post
    I've had similar success with Howard's Feed N Wax. Doc_J, you sparked my interest...do tell. Better polishes for lacquer finishes?
    I like Virtuoso polish better for vintage lacquer finishes. Howard's did a fine job on helping to clean-up this Favilla's body as well as the fretboard. Howard's is my go-to fretboard conditioner.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Real nice job Hodge. Howard's is a great product. Did you add the bridge beads?

Thread Information