Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Cleaning, conditioning & new strings on dusty, dirty vintage uke bring it to life

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    McDonough, GA
    Posts
    4,493

    Default Cleaning, conditioning & new strings on dusty, dirty vintage uke bring it to life

    Finally found a vintage baritone at great price and in promising condition.

    Removed the dirt, dust and grime on a old Favilla with a damp paper towel, then Howard's Feed N Wax and 0000 steel wool on the dirty fretboard. That and the steel wool got the tarnished frets looking like new. I put some Howard's Feed N Wax on the finish too.

    And some beautiful mahogany and Brazilian rosewood were revealed.
    Sorry I didn't take a 'before' shot. I'm amazed at the figure and coloring of the wood used to build it, especially the fret board. Howard's Feed N Wax works great.

    New Martin strings finished bringing the old gal back to life. She really sings.
    It's a real joy to see and hear the transformation.
    https://app.box.com/s/0q7vz6z9zhc4xjvcnrorz6885zu5ffja

    P1090237 by hejenkins, on Flickr
    P1090241 by hejenkins, on Flickr
    Last edited by Doc_J; 09-13-2019 at 06:34 PM.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    JoCo, NC (near Raleigh)
    Posts
    4,548

    Default

    Good job, Hodge!
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127

    !Flukutronic!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Sparta, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,317

    Default

    Sounds great! I think it's a winner. Really nice full sound.

    Any idea how old it is?
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

    —Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Pickering, ON, Canada
    Posts
    5,739

    Default

    Great job Hodge, must have been very rewarding to rejuvenate the old girl to her former glory. Thanks for the info on Howard’s Feed and Wax, I had heard good things about it.

    I have an old Gianini baritone with the same two tone fretboard. The shape is very similar and it has a yellow label. Makes you wonder???

    20190914_051546.jpg20190914_051622.jpg
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 09-13-2019 at 11:21 PM.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    McDonough, GA
    Posts
    4,493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    Good job, Hodge!
    Thanks, it’s always rewarding when some elbow grease works out well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    Sounds great! I think it's a winner. Really nice full sound.

    Any idea how old it is?
    I’d guess this one was built around ‘64, so she’s about 55 years old, well seasoned.

    Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Great job Hodge, must have been very rewarding to rejuvenate the old girl to her former glory. Thanks for the info on Howard’s Feed and Wax, I had heard good things about it.

    I have an old Gianini baritone with the same two tone fretboard. The shape is very similar and it has a yellow label. Makes you wonder???

    20190914_051546.jpg20190914_051622.jpg
    Looks like we have twins from different Builders! The two-tone BRW fretboards are cool!
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    Great sounding Uke and good job cleaning up. I’d never head of Howard’s Feed and Wax. So, you can it on fretboard and rest of Uke. Looks great. For body, is it only used on Matt finished body of Uke or can it go over other finishes. Must be rewarding to “find” a great p,Ayer and clean up to sound so good.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    956

    Default

    That old mahogany really sounds rich, and the look is fantastic. Great job.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    McDonough, GA
    Posts
    4,493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M3Ukulele View Post
    Great sounding Uke and good job cleaning up. I’d never head of Howard’s Feed and Wax. So, you can it on fretboard and rest of Uke. Looks great. For body, is it only used on Matt finished body of Uke or can it go over other finishes. Must be rewarding to “find” a great p,Ayer and clean up to sound so good.
    Howard’s Feed N Wax works great on fretboards. It's fine for cleaning up the body too, but there are better polishes for lacquer finishes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    That old mahogany really sounds rich, and the look is fantastic. Great job.
    It's interesting these old baritone top & backs were 1-piece! Surprising the fret ends are smooth and nice on the edges, after 55 years. I guess any fretboard shrinkage would have happened long ago.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Well done!
    I find I bond a bit more with an instrument after putting a little bit of my own work into it...even if just minor setup things and polishing the frets up.
    I hope you continue to enjoy it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Gloucester, UK
    Posts
    560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jer View Post
    Well done!
    I find I bond a bit more with an instrument after putting a little bit of my own work into it...even if just minor setup things and polishing the frets up.
    I hope you continue to enjoy it.
    Same here - first thing I do with a used instrument is clean up the fretboard, polish the frets, give the body a rub down. Makes it feel more my own somehow.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •