Playing A Newbie's Uke Without Discouraging Her?

If you're referring to the newbie in my original post, NO,she does not have an unchecked ego. She's a mature woman who got through life thinking she had a better-than-average singing voice and really doesn't sing very well at all. Oh, and despite that minor delusion, she's one of the nicest people I've ever met. I'm a little uncertain how she would handle not getting all the attention in the room when she pulls out the uke, as the poor thing really believes she's a vocal goddess who never got her lucky break. Maybe I'm just over-thinking the whole thing. Can we drop this now?

Wow. I'm fairly certain there was a movie about a really nice person who couldn't sing and wanted to put on a show. Lucky she has friends who care, though if realit has eluded her fir so long, she might never notice.

Somebody please tell me I'm misinterpreting that line and that acmespaceship isn't taking shots at me for something I never said.

I never thought the tone of THIS forum could be as mean-spirited as the tone of the BICYCLE forums, and I hope I am wrong in thinking that is the case.

I have tried to express my concern multiple ways. Either I'm a bad communicator, or some of you out there are just looking to take pot shots at me for some unknown reason. In any event, I am unsubscribing from this thread now and will not be responding to any more of the comments here.

Thanks to those of you who understood my original post and replied without judgment.

I am sorry, Papa Tom. I did not express that thought well and I apologize. I should have been more careful to make it clear that I was not directing that comment at you. It was NOT my intent to say you want to show off. I am saying that anyone who DID use your situation as an opportunity to grab the spotlight would be acting shamefully.

I am very sorry.

I am sorry, Papa Tom. I did not express that thought well and I apologize. I should have been more careful to make it clear that I was not directing that comment at you. It was NOT my intent to say you want to show off. I am saying that anyone who DID use your situation as an opportunity to grab the spotlight would be acting shamefully.

I am very sorry.

Well done. That’s typical of the generally good natured spirit here on UU. When someone realises that they have unintentionally offended they make, or attempt, to put things right. Anyone can make a mistake but what sets people aside is their actions in correcting matters.

I wish Papa Tom well and hope that he’ll report back on what happens latter. All of us are a little different and for some members it can take quite some courage to thoughtfully ask sensitive questions on-line, conversely it’s sometimes quite hard for even experienced members to respond with the sensitivities of particular OP’s in mind. I suspect that nearly every member here will have had at least one instance of writing something that sounded right to them at the time, but on review it wasn’t what they actually meant say. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom