Week 396: Ukulele Drag Race

Up to date with my viewing. Another 4 excellent songs!

BTW, in case you were wondering, Jokina is NOT eligible to win this week. She's related to the judge.

Don't breath a word of that to her though!

Well, probably came as close as ever to giving a season a miss. But I have not missed a season ever since I began participating in this crazy thing called the seasons quite a few years ago now. And this is season is .. it is Joko's season ..

The reason - my sister passed away this week, and I was alone with her when she passed, and she was a great friend to my family, never missing my kids birthdays, spending lots of time with them. probably my wife's best friend, she lived with us until she was so high care that she needed to move into a home, her choice, the home was close by and my wife and daughter visited often, she would have been with her but my wife has health issues of her own at the moment, my daughter had been spending hours feeding her in recent days and had spent the night at the home with her, she came home exhausted having not slept herself so I went up to be with Ronnie, my brother and my wife and my daughter (named after my sister) arrived minutes after she passed.

BUT I bring you this Prince song - due to a health condition my sister wore wigs through most of her later years - so as well as hopefully meeting the remit of the season - it is also a nod to her - Ronnette Maree Caldwell. She passed peacefully and deserves the rest.

And Prince was such a talent - unlike this guy -

Last edited:
A song about being a man - "When a Man Loves a Woman" (1966) by Calvin Lewis and Andrew Wright. It's not easy to be a man...

(And if anybody wonders, this is not a beard but my chest hair. :))

I'm really surprised no one has done "Lola".

So sorry to hear your news Brian. It sounds like you have many happy memories to get you through this difficult time.

I mentioned it as an example in the category description and that pretty much fated it to not being done. We're ukulele players. We like to be original.

Very sorry for your loss Brian! I've recently been dealing with the loss of a very close friend, and i'm amazed how paralyzing it can be. Nice that the wig fits the season and serves as a dedication at the same time. Thanks for sharing ~

Well, probably came as close as ever to giving a season a miss. But I have not missed a season ever since I began participating in this crazy thing called the seasons quite a few years ago now. And this is season is .. it is Joko's season ..

The reason - my sister passed away this week, and I was alone with her when she passed, and she was a great friend to my family, never missing my kids birthdays, spending lots of time with them. probably my wife's best friend, she lived with us until she was so high care that she needed to move into a home, her choice, the home was close by and my wife and daughter visited often, she would have been with her but my wife has health issues of her own at the moment, my daughter had been spending hours feeding her in recent days and had spent the night at the home with her, she came home exhausted having not slept herself so I went up to be with Ronnie, my brother and my wife and my daughter (named after my sister) arrived minutes after she passed.

BUT I bring you this Prince song - due to a health condition my sister wore wigs through most of her later years - so as well as hopefully meeting the remit of the season - it is also a nod to her - Ronnette Maree Caldwell. She passed peacefully and deserves the rest.

And Prince was such a talent - unlike this guy -

This is Dave. I'm so sorry to hear about your sister's passing and your wife's health, Brian. I hope she gets better.

Brian, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope your wife's health improves. Thank you for keeping the seasons going.

Condolences Brian. All the best and I hope your wife gets better soon. Really sorry for you and your family.

And here is my version of 'The Crying Game' - when I saw this film as a young man I was totally blown away. Maybe it is time to revisit it if I can find it somewhere. Always liked the original version of the song best though. Wish I had a wah-wah pedal for the uke.

A simple version of something from one of Minnesota’s Mt. Rushmore bands before Ralf comes along with the perfect uke translation from the original piano. I think this fits with your theme Joko, else Thornton Rule?

And another, this one from Ezra Furman. This one is along the same lines as Lady Gaga’s “Born this way” I think. There is one f-word, 4th verse. Thanks for hosting this season Joko.

I posted an earlier version of this song in January. When my friend Abby and I started our new band, this was the first of my original songs that she wanted to perform. Here’s a rough version of the song with drums.

Neither of us could get it together to do drag, but since the subject of the song is a genderqueer performance artist, I figured the Thornton Rule would apply.

This is a song by Tilly and the Wall. They were a band that instead of a drummer had a tap dancer, who would tap on an amplified metal plate. Their percussion would be a combination of the tap dancing and the two singers doing hand claps and foot stomps. Here's a link to them playing the song on Letterman: Tilly and the Wall - Bad Education

This is the first video I've done with my new Elph pocket camera. (The Elph I've been using the last 8 years was IN my pocket when the shirt went through the washer and dryer a couple of weeks ago.) I hate the new one so far, mostly because Canon didn't provide software that does the basic video editing I could do before. The camera now creates video in MP4 format, which the old software can't handle. So until I get some new video software, I can't even add in my picture of Eisley. :mad:

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as they go through this hard time of loss and struggles Brian.

Hugs to you and your wife, and all the rest!

Top Bottom