Week 396: Ukulele Drag Race

Here's Dolly Parton's song Jolene. The images in the video are mostly of a doll my daughter knitted for me. I take it out with me and it sits on the table by me when I'm out at a folk club or a session. It started out as "Scary Dolly", as someone labelled the doll that used to feature in the background of my videos. She's now just "Dolly" as the knitted version is not in the least bit scary! Featuring Dolly in the video seems entirely appropriate to the theme.

I meant to add.

Condolences on the passing of your sister, Pa. Also I hope that your wife's health improves soon.

I REALLY do appreciate all the kind thoughts seasonistas!
Thank you!

I'd also really appreciate seeing more highjinks and videos for Joko's season.
Bring them on!!!!!!

I haven't been able to participate as fully in the seasons as I'd like to lately. Especially in regards to viewing and commenting on videos and even on replying to comments left on my vids.

But I do love seeing the Seasons continue on.....bring on those vids please.

Well, this is all the "high jinks" I could manage ... a VERY abbreviated version of The Lumberjack Song. As you can see, Joko, when I mentioned a pile of wood needing attention, it was not just a casual reference to lumberjacks and check flannel shirts. One of the delights of living in rural France is the huge pile of logs which is dumped outside our woodshed every Autumn and which has to be stacked inside before the weather becomes inclement. This year it is all my own work! (Sorry about the wind ... I hadn't realised it was so noisy till I listened to the video.)

Last edited:

I had such plans for this week... but then I lost my voice. It's a little quiet, a little croaky, but here is the Cyndi Lauper song that made me question gender as a social construct. Although, seeing as I was about 8 at the time, it manifested mainly in trying to work out the ambiguous pronouns:
'I know that you're going with another guy'
(Is the singer revealing that her boyfriend left her for another guy? Or is the singer also a guy?)
When I learned that Cyndi Lauper's version was a cover of a Prince song, it deepened the mystery (and gave me a deep and abiding respect for singers who don't change pronouns in their cover versions).

I hope this meets the mission requirements!

Ahoy
Better late than never.
First I want to offer my condolences to Brian and his family.

Secondly, here is my submission for the week.

So you got your Grammy's... and Emmy's... And Tonies...

As a token of esteem to another Seasonista, this week's prozes are now called the Ronnies. May she rest in peace.

But for the rest of you, one last day to get out there and show us your FLUID side!

Some comments...

Fitting that next week's theme is about Britain while I put on my best RP in this story-telling bit...

This is a song from the mid-'70s by a band called Crack the Sky. The original has a 7-minute guitar jam after the end of the lyrics. Mine doesn't.

I found a French site that had chords for the early Genesis song "The Fountain of Salmacis", which tells the story of the Greek myth of Hermaphroditus, but I don't think I'll be able to put together an arrangement I like before the Season ends.

As a community college instructor, I meet so many young people who are discovering and adapting to their genders. Every quarter, I meet at least one young person refuses to let society's gender expectations limit how they can feel about their body, their soul, or their self. These transgender, gender-fluid, and genderqueer people are my heroes. Thank you, Joko, for giving me a chance to sing in their honor this Season!

Florida punk band Against Me! is led by Laura Jane Grace. Laura came out as a transgender woman in 2012, after over a decade playing punk rock as a man, and lifetime of living with gender dysphoria. This song's from her first post-coming-out album Transgender Dysphoria Blues.

Oh, and does my lipstick look okay?

Looks like some very enjoyable videos to be watched here at the end...

But for now, I work on Sundays, so off I go. I'll provide lots of recap and I have one last number to share.

The benefit of having a sore throat means that I can hit the lower notes more comfortably than usual.
I know that Tiny Tim is only maybe on the list, but here is my take on Tiptoe (with zero falsetto).

My sincere condolences, Brian. So sorry to hear - it is so tough to go through this.

My week ended the same way it began - me struggling with this damn interface and DAW software (never uing ProTools First again! I think installing it was the beginning of my problems.) Of course, I want to bring the season to a close with an appropriate video... it's just taking longer than I thought.

I will say this though about the winners - I'm going to pick my top three in no particular order, a three-wy tie for 1st place, Then you choose who wants which Burmese percussive chotchkey in the order of first come first serve.

WIN_20190924_18_44_41_Pro (2).jpg

As mentioned in the opening video, when I put on a show, I like to take the extra step creatively... often with terrible results. But fun is had regardless.

I'm actually scheduling this award show for about 90 minutes from now. Midnight, Hawii time. We all know when that is, right?

Ah, heck with it. I tink it's working

rtmp://a.rtmp.youtube.com/live2[video]rtmp://a.rtmp.youtube.com/live2[/video]

Top Bottom