Week 396: Ukulele Drag Race

A secret X-RAY SPEX button!

At first, I made a much more complicated version of this song, but after a couple of days of working on it, I just wanted to relax and chill out in some everyyday, normal clothing and have a beer.

Not going to drag up today if that's okay, nevertheless I hope this counts. My fingers are still shredded from yesterday so it's a bit rough.

At first, I made a much more complicated version of this song, but after a couple of days of working on it, I just wanted to relax and chill out in some everyyday, normal clothing and have a beer.

You need to fix that link mate

I loved the idea of doing a song in drag. I once won a drag contest at university dolled up to the nines and singing: "You make me feel like a natural woman!" 😁

However, I had shaved my beard off by accident a couple of months back (long story) and took a while to grow it back. So I was reluctant to shave it off again. And bearded drag, like the winner of Eurovision a few years back, is just not me darling! 😜

Anyway, I then remembered the "neutral " mask I had used in a video before and donned it and one of my daughter's party dresses (she'll kill me if she sees the video) and her big floppy hat and was ready to sing the song the muse inspired me to write for this week's theme at 6am this morning.

Hope you all enjoy:

I was in a swing band when David Bowie died. We would often learn covers of recently passed musicians to play live during intermissions of the dance music. My friend in the band, Adrian, said he loved this song especially, but when we tried to figure it out, we looked at each other and said, "It ain't gonna happen!" We worked out Diamond Dogs instead. This song was such a puzzle, but I think I got most of it figured out this time around.

Hello, Joko/Jokena! My beard never turned up, so I sent away for another one (such is my devotion to duty!) When it arrived today and I put it on, I suddenly realised that I bore a remarkable resemblance to an esteemed member of this community. I should like to point out that this resemblance is purely co-incidental and was never intended ... sorry, Brian!!!! Anyway, my biker persona has come to the fore .... more like "Hell's Grannies"! I had an idea for another song which I hope to be able to find the time to do, but, at the moment, I have a dog with a poorly paw who is driving me bananas (but, fortunately, she is healing) and also, a ton of wood waiting to be stacked in the barn before it starts raining.

P.S. It is EXCEEDINGLY difficult to sing (or even concentrate) when you have extraneous bits of "hair" drifting up your nose and into your mouth!)

Last edited:
///You need to fix that link mate ////

OMG! I can see from the thumbnails above me that I've got some amazing videos to watch. Can't wait. Before I do, let me try again with this one of mine. Last night, YouTube thought I was spamming. This afternoon, I guess I just posted it wrong. It's not like the universe is telling me "JOKO, DON'T POST THAT VIDEO!"

Nah.

How lucky that my wifes friends just brought a couple of wigs to the house.
I skipped the makeup though, but a wig is something - even if it is a novelty one.

This song, The Crying Game, featured in the movie of the same name, which is on the qualifying movie soundtrack list.

An instrumental version here.

This could have benefitted from some practice, multitracking and a metronome.
But I went for a quick take, rather than finishing some time in the weekend.

i couldn't resist the lure of marc bolan, here is his "you gotta jive to stay alive"

my normal look is androgynous. in fact sometimes complete strangers stop me in the street and ask me, why do you wear men's clothes? and i say they're not men's clothes, they're my clothes! that's one version of how that kind of exchange can go, sometimes i just get a torrent of homophobic abuse. for which i do not have a handy snappy riposte. but i digress - for the season i tried to crank my usual look up a tiny notch with a tie. why am i wearing a man's tie? it's not a man's tie, it's my tie! (and i can prove it, 'cos i bought it at asda yesterday, and i still have the receipt!)

Last edited:
I have to admit this theme is way out of my comfort zone, though not for theme content. As I mentioned to a good friend, Many friends and family members have tried (and failed) throughout my life to get me to dress up for halloween :) It's never has been something I felt comfortable doing. That said, I just had to comment on what a wonderful job you've done with the whole thing Joko. I've gotten quite a few laughs already. I'll find some kind of feminine item to don if I can do a live take, and choose one of the artists who are on the list. Thanks for hosting ~

Last edited:
Wow. This 4 songs on Day 3 were quite an amazing set. I'd rather you watch the originials, but my reactions to them below.

I have to admit this theme is way out of my comfort zone, though not for theme content. As I mentioned to a good friend, Many friends and family members have tried (and failed) throughout my life to get me to dress up for halloween :) It's never has been something I felt comfortable doing. That said, I just had to comment on what a wonderful job you've done with the whole thing Joko. I've gotten quite a few laughs already. I'll find some kind of feminine item to don if I can do a live take, and choose one of the artists who are on the list. Thanks for hosting ~

You can do it, Kev!!!

Lou Reed - Walk on the Wild side (Apologies to Wim for doubling up on this song)

Big thanks to Elizabeth and Big Bertha (Bass) for assisting with this project.
I got a lot out it.

I wanted to do more but I ran out of time. :-(

Thank you Joko for hosting - sorry didn't have time to put something on, or put a ribbon in my hair :-O

Top Bottom