New Ohana BKT.

SailingUke

Uke legend in my own mind
UU VIP
Reaction score
Just played the new Ohana baritone body and tenor neck ukulele.
Beautiful ukulele and with a great matching sound. Not crazy about the Aquila’s, but that is an easy fix.

Re. BKT-70G: if you were to convert it to a baritone SCALE, low D, what strings would you use?

I just ordered the BKT 250G. I like the Bari sound, but my poor old arthritic fingers need the shorter scale length. In fact, I wish someone made a nice Tenor sized body with a Concert scale length neck. If I can remember, I'll post a review after I've had the instrument for a while.

I just ordered the BKT 250G. I like the Bari sound, but my poor old arthritic fingers need the shorter scale length. In fact, I wish someone made a nice Tenor sized body with a Concert scale length neck. If I can remember, I'll post a review after I've had the instrument for a while.

Your wish is readily realised by Romero Creation Daniel Ho ST concert. It’s concert scale length with a tenor body at an overall length of a soprano. There’s plenty of high end solid wood models to chose but I just link the laminated one which cost about $269 now at Uke Republic.
https://www.romerocreations.com/ukepack

Hi Vegas George... if you decide that the BKT-70G won’t work for you, let me know; for a good price I’ll buy it from you! It appears that some tenor scale Ukes are harder to convert to baritone tuning then others which is why I would get it. At least that’s been my experience.

There seems to be some confusion on this Uke. It is a baritone body and a tenor (17in. scale) neck.
It is made to be tuned GCEA. You may be able to tune it to a re-entrant dgbe, but I don’t believe you can get a low d.
If you want baritone tuning, buy a baritone.

There seems to be some confusion on this Uke. It is a baritone body and a tenor (17in. scale) neck.
It is made to be tuned GCEA. You may be able to tune it to a re-entrant dgbe, but I don’t believe you can get a low d.
If you want baritone tuning, buy a baritone.
We have the BKT 250g because I find a baritone hard to play with it's longer fret distance, etc. The Ohana has a very deep body and for me has it's own challenges when strumming. It does have a very rich sound.

You could put Chee Maisel Baritone Strings on the BKT as it has tenor scale but Baritone body. I have a custom Moodyville Gypsy ukulele that is like that . Bigger body gives it great tone, projection and volume.

Go the Chee Maisel sight. They developed this set of string so they could travel with tenors but still have a complementary and different sound when playing two tenors together. It works great for that. Clips show Sarah playing normal low or high g tenor and Craig using the Baritone Strings.

Not sure if this helps but cool option out there.

My take on BKT is just a bigger volume body for sound on a standard tenor scale.

Hope this helps

Another short scale tenor option for VegasGeorge is a Mike Pereira Cali pineapple. 16 inch concert scale, tenor pineapple body. Mim sells them. I owned a Gary Gill short scale tenor for awhile. Cedar top/mahogany body. Tenor sound, with the concert scale that was more comfortable for me.

At one point Anuenue made a "large body concert" that was a tenor body and concert neck, but I think it's no longer made. I saw one on World of Ukes....it was similar in price to the Light Birds.... the aNueNue aNN-ASR2+ Large Body Concert Ukulele (not to be confused with the ANN-ASR2), which if I recall was all solid, spruce top and rosewood body. I have seen at least one pop up on ebay or reverb. If I didn't have moon birds I would probably seek one out. Old link on World of Ukes here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom