Lanikai solid top, or thomann full solid uke?

Naisha

Reaction score
Hello! I'm doing some research for my next uke purchase. I already have a concert, mahi mahi solid top mahogany, and I'd like to get one of similar quality. I'd like to go for acacia wood this time, and I've seen a Lanikai, solid top, and a full solid one in thomann (thomann brand). As far as I know, Lanikai has very good reputation, but I have no idea about thomann. Has any of you played solid thomann ukes? Are they worth it? Here's the link to the thomann uke, so you can see it:
https://m.thomann.de/es/thomann_concert_ukulele_de_luxe.htm?o=33&search=1568596447
And this one is the lanikai (although I don't know the price, I'd have to ask a dealer in my country):
https://lanikaiukuleles.com/product/acacia-concert-ukulele/

Please, tell me what you think.
Thank you guys for your time.

They're both pretty generic Made in China ukuleles using solid acacia.
They will be more or less similar.

Lanikai is solid top, while Thomann appears to be all-solid.
Not that it would make a huge difference in performance.

Given that the two ukuleles will be very similar, I would choose based on

-Price: which is better value?
-Looks: which do you like the aesthetics of better?
-Package: does one come with more extras (like bag?)

If they were the same price, and I had to pick 1, I lean towards the Thomann.
It comes across as a bit more of a premium model with fancier features.

I never played either, but I would choose the Lanikai.

Lanikai is an ukulele brand. They build a few ukes in Hawaii, but most, like this, is made in the far east. Still they have a reputation to think about.

Example of Hawaiian made Lanikai:
http://worldofukes.co.uk/concert-ukuleles/lanikai-waimea-hawaii-made-super-concert-ukulele
Again, the suggested uke is probably not.

Thomann is a music supply retailer. They just put their name on it. For the Americans here, it is like buying an ukulele labeled "Guitar Center".
Sure it might play well, though that headstock looks pretty heavy, but I dont like the story it tells.

Last edited:
I don't know either uke you are looking at, but I would suggest you at least take a look at Kala & Ohana ukes before making a decision, these are well trusted brands for lower priced ukes. :music:

I haven't tried a Thomann branded uke but I have owned a banjo uke from Harley Benton which is another proprietary brand by Thomann. While I liked the looks of the banjo uke, I quickly found that the finish was really lacking. Particularly, the fret edges were the sharpest I've ever seen on any instrument and actually tore into my fingernails while playing. Basically as UkingViking said above, the Lanikai (and other similar brands like Kala or Ohana) is a safer bet since they're an actual uke manufacturer. After the horror show I experienced with the Harley Benton, I'm not going to touch these music retailer brands ever again. Even though they can look quite nice (and imo the Thomann does look nicer than the Lanikai), I'm willing to bet that their quality control is much worse than the more reputable brands.

I think a few people are giving some "ukulele" brands more credit than is due.
Lanikai, Kala and Ohana are as generic as they get.

There won't be any discernible quality difference between them and the Thomann. They're all similar ukuleles being pumped out of the same factories.

Don't take this to be a bad thing.
Generic Chinese-made ukes are better than they ever were.
I picked up a "Martinez" solid mahogany (Australian equivalent to generic "Thomann" like brand) the other day.
The finish and quality is absolutely flawless - not even joking - flawless. Not a hint of shoddy craftmanship to be seen.

That being said, pretty much nearly all inexpensive production ukuleles will benefit from a setup to get the action at a reasonable height.
That includes Lanikai, Kala, "Thomann", Ohana, etc. They generally always leave the factory with a high action.

As Croaky Keith said, I would recommend looking at Kala and Ohana. All four brands here are most likely made in China, Kala and Ohana are the heavy weights. It's hard to get valid info on that Thomann uke because who know what it really is? Unless I can see a review of a uke, I'm hesitant to buy it.

As the owner of two Lanikais I can say I'm happy with them. One is a 'mahogany' laminate baritone LU-21B I've had for maybe 8 years. The other is a solid spruce top baritone S-B I bought about a year later. I've not regretted my purchases.

Thank you very much for all the replies! I've been investigating a little bit and I've found out that Thomann ukes and APC (Antonio Carvalho ukes from Portugal) look exactly the same, same colos, shapes... which makes me think that are the same instruments made in the same place. If it's like that, maybe I should give them a chance, as I like the idea of buying from a company whose instruments are made in Europe than in the far east. It still isn't a 100% guarantee of good quality control, who knows. I've read good things about APC ukuleles, so I'll send them an email asking if they're the same instrument. I'll keep you informed!

Edit (to avoid double post) : ok, I've found a review by "got a ukulele" for one of those APC ukes, and now I'm not so sure if I should get the risk. It seems indeed that the quality control is really lacking. Here's the review, for those of you that might be curious: https://www.gotaukulele.com/2018/12/apc-antonio-carvalho-ss-soprano-ukulele.html?m=1

Last edited:
Whichever you choose (or if you choose something completely different), please let us know. I, for one, am really curious about these retail brand instruments, especially since I have my doubts.

BTW, if you're still looking for you're next uke and looking to buy from Thomann, I noticed that they've slashed the price of several Baton Rouge ukes by a fairly significant amount. I hear that's supposed to be a decent brand similar to Kala, Ohana, Lanikai, etc., so maybe check those ones out. :)

BTW, if you're still looking for you're next uke and looking to buy from Thomann, I noticed that they've slashed the price of several Baton Rouge ukes by a fairly significant amount. I hear that's supposed to be a decent brand similar to Kala, Ohana, Lanikai, etc., so maybe check those ones out. :)

The 8-string has a very nice sound.

As Croaky Keith said, I would recommend looking at Kala and Ohana. All four brands here are most likely made in China, Kala and Ohana are the heavy weights. It's hard to get valid info on that Thomann uke because who know what it really is? Unless I can see a review of a uke, I'm hesitant to buy it.

Thomann is a huge company. Arguably bigger than Kala and Ohana. Perhaps not in ukulele specifically, but for musical instruments as a whole.
Just looking at the ukulele and specs is enough to know that it's another Kala/Lanikai-like derivative. The risk of getting a badly made dud in ukuleles with a particular appearance standard is at an all time low.

I'm not dissing the advice of Kala and Ohana. I am just saying there is no valid reason to discredit the Thomann as being dodgy.
They're just another ukulele pumped out of a Chinese factory. Some get "Kala" on the headstock and some get "Lanikai" on the headstock. These ones got "Thomann" on the headstock.

Update: I've decided to save a little bit more and go for a pono. I've read only good things about them, so I thibk I can't go wrong. I like the shape, the wood (all solid acacia concert in my case), and after watching some videos of people playing it I think I'll do that. I'm still curious about that thomann uke, though. But I'll go for the least risky option. Thank you guys for all your replies.

Seems like an excellent choice. I've heard good things about Pono as well. There was a thread about a Pono solid cedar top tenor in the review section where people did say that some Ponos might sound quieter than other similar ukes, but if you've had a chance to test or listen to the uke you want then I'd say Pono is a safe bet.

Try to play them before purchase, esp if a little known brand. You run the risk of an overbuilt instrument. (I don't know Thoman.)

I've had the Lanikai acacia as well as the Lanikai spruce top SPS-S in my hands.
I think Lanikai has upped their game in this recent line of ukes compared to the older lines. Nice builds.

The Lanikai acacia is very pretty, and I bought it because I was so impressed with the SPS-S. However, soundwise the spruce top blows the acacia out of the water, so I sold it.

I have some very good ukes, and I hang onto the SPS because it's astonishing for the money both in sound and build. It's like a little Larrivee with nice satin finish, Grover tuners, and herringbone and maple binding.

My only complaint is that strap pegs are installed. I don't like them especially on a sop.

If you really want acacia, you might investigate the all solid Kala ASAC, which apoears to have pleased a lot of people.

Last edited:
I once bought an instrument from Thomann (not a ukulele) that was advertised as having a solid top but was in fact all laminate. The instrument itself was well put together, but it might be worth going the extra mile to seek out some reviews about the Thomann if the all solid is appealing to you.

Hmm ukeinfused made me think, I like the looks of acacia wood, but now that I take a second look to spruce top ukes, damn they also look good, and I already have a mahogany one, so there would be more contrast in my living room heh.
As Dohle said, I read some things about Pono, and I've seen a lot of people find their necks a bit too thick or uncomfortable. The volume is not really a problem, but an uncomfortable neck... I'll have to try them. Now I'm indecisive again, lol!

Naisha,
Good luck. It pays to take your time.
The best advice I've ever gotten was from Mim.
For my 2nd uke, I decided to go for something radically different from my 1st.
I didn't regret it, Mim did me right.

Top Bottom