The rising cost of "hand"made ukes

Of course. This is why luxury brands exist. But I'd like to think that handbags and ukuleles are different. That's my naiveity probably!

YSL scribbled all over a hand bag to me seems the height of absurdity. But many disagree. I personally feel that the idea of "prestige" is counter to a happy life as one's self worth becomes tied to other's peceptions of them, and what they own, but if that is what some people need to get through the day, cool. I would, however, definitely spend more on coffee in a plave with a nice ambience. It makes my experience better. I love cozy coffee shops.

Exactly. Prestige drives a lot of prices. There is, however, some very affordable prestige. Our local luthier builds for very decent prices, but there is a ton of prestige in owning and playing her ukes.
My favorite coffee shop doesn't have the best tasting coffee, or the cheapest. and, is not the closest
The owners are very friendly they asked us to play there, and the atmosphere is incredibly cozy.

Exactly. Prestige drives a lot of prices. There is, however, some very affordable prestige.

Talk about decent prices - check out Bonanza Ukuleles. You specify exactly what you want, and you get it built and delivered at a very reasonable price.

It’s obviously not common, but I went to a Luthier expo in North Carolina earlier this year, and they had all of the ukes from Luthiers for a Cause on display. Visitors were able to handle the ukes and test them out for a while when it wasn’t too busy. I can tell you that there is definitely something different about those ukes. They just ooze elegance and perfection. I can honestly say that if I had the means, I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to pay $4,000 for any of them, and I would challenge anyone to say they were overpriced while holding one of those works of art in their hands. (Technically they aren’t for sale, but you get what I mean.) Not to hijack the thread, but if you’re not familiar with Luthiers for a Cause, look it up. It’s a really neat concept that I really buy into. Thankfully, these amazing Luthiers do as well.

I am familiar with Luthiers for a Cause- that is amazing that you had a chance to try those instruments!

P
There's some great luthiers in Oregon so you shouldn't have to travel too far. Or wait for a local ukulele festival in the PacNW. Think there's one about to happen in Port Townsend a mere 5 hour drive from Portland.

Yeah the Port Townsend one just happened and I was traveling for work. I do need to seek out the Oregon scene for uke builders. Recommendations anyone ?

I was fortunate enough to travel to the Big Island and meet Chuck Moore at his home several years ago. At that time, his ukuleles sold for about $2000 for a "not-so-basic" model, no fancy inlay, etc. More than I am able to afford for a musical instrument, but worth every penny in my opinion as they are superb instruments. Now his prices, due to demand and continual improvements in his construction, have gone up considerably. Still worth it in my opinion. I will likely never be able to afford to purchase a new one, but it won't stop me from trying.

Since then I have become involved with the Ukulele Guild of Hawaii, and had the chance to play many excellent, high-quality, and expensive ukuleles. I have played all the Luthiers for a Cause ukuleles. it is readily apparent that these instruments are in a totally different category than even Kamaka, Kanilea, KoAloha, etc.

I was able to buy a Compass Rose ukulele, used, from The Ukulele Site and I am very happy with the purchase. It remains the most I have spent on any musical instrument, and totally worth it.

If I had the cash lying around, I would have no problem paying high prices for a quality instrument, if I felt it were worth it to me.

That's all that really matters. I'm not trying to have a flashy ukulele to impress others. I just want the best instrument I can afford to play, it's that simple. And what is MY best is not necessarily YOUR best, and that's fine. Variety is the spice of life!

Last edited:
People who have never learned how to enjoy anything, everything has to have some financial or political value. They speed along the road of the materialist, never seeing the wonders along the way and ending up at a dead end. No wonder they are always angry and aggressive.
Money is a necessary means of exchange, it is a way of equalling apples to oranges in a trade. If you don't have enough, its a barrier. The money is not the apples or the oranges, you enjoy eating your apples and oranges and keep the money for the next trade.
There can be as much enjoyment in buying a $50 ukulele as there is in buying a £4000 ukulele. When you overcome your materialist tendencies, that will become obvious.

I have never seen a $50 ukulele that was pleasant to my ears. I don't lust aftsr the uber expensive ones either, but it is pointless if the individual notes don't sound good. I am a fingerpicker, so this is important.

YSL scribbled all over a hand bag to me seems the height of absurdity. But many disagree. I personally feel that the idea of "prestige" is counter to a happy life as one's self worth becomes tied to other's peceptions of them, and what they own, but if that is what some people need to get through the day, cool. I would, however, definitely spend more on coffee in a plave with a nice ambience. It makes my experience better. I love cozy coffee shops.

I'll second that thought regarding coffee shops, AQUA, and I'll even take it a step higher... I love to relax with a nice cup of Taster's Choice. Of course, I'm trying (lamely) to be funny, but I totally agree that an appreciation of the little things in life is a real blessing! (And I actually do like Taster's Choice.) :D

Last edited:
In addition to Ukuleles I also enjoy Mandolins which are way more costly than Ukuleles, £4000 would not necessarily be an outrageous amount for a high end custom built instrument. The mandolin community seems to appreciate their builders more and perhaps that is reflected in the cost of the instruments.

Recently Beau Hannam had an Instagram post indicating you could order build number 100. This seems to be an indication of the time it takes him to construct an instrument. He's one of the Luthiers for a Cause builders. His instruments are works of art that make sweet music. And like the other Luthiers for a Cause, he's been building for quite awhile.

As an aside, my experience is the woods not cheap nor is living in the USA.

This thread reminds me of an anecdote about Pablo Picasso.

He was sitting at an outdoor table at a café in Paris in the 1920s. A woman noticed him and, uninvited, sat down across from him at the table. She asked him to please draw her portrait. Picasso took a pad of paper and a pen and proceeded to draw her portrait using a dozen lines or so. She was delighted and asked him how much she owed him for it. He replied, $10,000.
$10,000! It only took you 10 minutes to draw that.
Picasso looked at her and retorted, "Madam, it has taken a lifetime to draw that portrait."

Luthiers are artists using their chosen medium. We pay for their knowledge, experience, skill and vision. Some have taken decades to learn their craft. Some less time. Some have great ideas and express them in new and unique ways. Others refine more classical approaches. All of them draw upon their backgrounds to produce an instrument they are proud to put their name on.

Even if they use machines to help them, knowing HOW to use those machines is a learned skill. As is being able to carve a neck. Often you work as an apprentice for several years if you've first proven that you have an existing base knowledge of tools and woodworking. It takes a long time to master the skills needed to be able to consistently make a great instrument.

Oh, and top-quality materials are getting scarcer and more expensive. As are all of the other overheads for running a business.

That is what we pay for.

Last edited:
P

Yeah the Port Townsend one just happened and I was traveling for work. I do need to seek out the Oregon scene for uke builders. Recommendations anyone ?

Ono Ukuleles in Ashland, Brad Donaldson in Cannon Beach, Beansprout in Hood River, Jack Badley in Bend (company is called Badley Made Ukes), Spruce House Ukuleles in the Eugene area, Les Stansell in Pistol River, Mark Roberts in Portland, Kerry Char in Portland, Max Sipe in Portland, Covered Bridge in Cottage Grove. Probably many that I am missing.

Bill

PS. Sorry, not meaning to hijack the thread.

Last edited:
Ono Ukuleles in Ashland, Brad Donaldson in Cannon Beach, Beansprout in Hood River, Jack Badley in Bend (company is called Badley Made Ukes), Spruce House Ukuleles in the Eugene area, Les Stansell in Pistol River, Mark Roberts in Portland, Kerry Char in Portland, Max Sipe in Portland, Covered Bridge in Cottage Grove. Probably many that I am missing.

Bill

I can personally vouch for Ono and Les Stansell! Well worth the money.
Les Stansell has been a supplier of woods and has impeccable standards in the quality of tops and back n sides. He has one of the lightest baritone builds I have experienced and it is supremely blissful.
David from Ono does this for his own passion first. His fit and finish is amazing along with the sound and playability.

I have also met Mark Roberts and played his instruments, he spends quite a bit of time understanding your needs and has a process to make an instrument to your liking. He is focused on sound and customization of the uke for your ears. I hope to get on his wait list next year when I have a much better understanding of what I want..

They are worth the money the charge..

This is pretty simple. It comes down to how many hours a luthier actually spends making the ukulele vs. the additional premium paid based solely on brand or demand. If the ukulele does not have labor intensive inlays or custom work you are, in some ways, paying for the privilege of owning that particular ukulele. If it bothers you, just move on. 4000 pounds is a lot to spend on a ukulele, and while you want to support local luthiers, the luthier may not be limiting himself to local musicians.

Fred Shields makes a no frills relatively easy design and bracing ukulele. Fred once told me about how long he spends on each ukulele, I’ve forgotten, but I think it was less than 8 hours. He is a retired tile setter and does this as a hobby in his garage. He makes excellent instruments in his niche.

Finally machinery is good. If I had a choice between locating and cutting fret slots with a CNC machine or laying them out by hand, I’ll take machinery. There are some processes that are much more precise than completely hand made.

Finally, custom generally means the ukulele was made specifically for someone. Some people have no clue want they really want and the custom doesn't meet expectations, or it just didn’t end up as good as anticipated. Not every custom is a grail ukulele, as some do end up in the marketplace.

John

Last edited:
We appear to have been scammed. The OP Mr Rabbit has scampered back to his warren. Long may he remain there. :D

We appear to have been scammed. The OP Mr Rabbit has scampered back to his warren. Long may he remain there. :D

No, some of us are also busy with other things - like a life and job and family etc. And not every comment requires a response. However ones like this seem especially unuseful and idiotic so as to require putting straight. Also, way to encourage and foster good will for new people. If this is the response everyone gets then good grief.

Yes I know a lot about ukuleles - I do my research and I read! I've been looking and reading comments on the forum as well as other places for a long time but never made the jump to registering till now.
I have an opinion - like so many other people on here.

As for the luthier - I don't follow the page anymore. I'm not interested in someone who cannot have a conversation about anything outside of their realm of what is acceptable (which is very limited).

As for all the other comments, thank you. There have been lots of very useful and interesting comments and I've appreciated the different views. It definitely seems to have generated lots of discussion.

Last edited:
No, some of us are also busy with other things - like a life and job and family etc. And not every comment requires a response. However ones like this seem especially unuseful and idiotic so as to require putting straight. Also, way to encourage and foster good will for new people. If this is the response everyone gets then good grief.

Yes I know a lot about ukuleles - I do my research and I read! I've been looking and reading comments on the forum as well as other places for a long time but never made the jump to registering till now.
I have an opinion - like so many other people on here.

As for the luthier - I don't follow the page anymore. I'm not interested in someone who cannot have a conversation about anything outside of their realm of what is acceptable (which is very limited).

As for all the other comments, thank you. There have been lots of very useful and interesting comments and I've appreciated the different views. It definitely seems to have generated lots of discussion.

I do apologise I was under the missaprehension that you were warren bound.

Bill

Bill thanks for the list. I've heard of a few but many were not on my radar. I really haven't played any customs- so this should be fun.

Top Bottom