The rising cost of "hand"made ukes

If you don't like the price, don't buy it. Everyone has the right to earn what they feel is fair for their work

$4k for a locally handmade uke is too high? Try pricing a new bicycle made anywhere in America.

Always wanted a Richard Sachs frame i waited to long now his build list completely full and his prices are way more...my fault no one else....

as for ukes if the builder is asking too much i think he will not have any orders....

Now if we could only guarantee a $4,000 ukulele sounded like one, I'd be tempted to spend the money.

Maybe try before you buy? That's the best guarantee of the sound you want.

You end up having to be a ukulele globe trotter in order to try a meaningful sample of the best instruments out there.. I wish there was a traveling show of customs that would come around occasionally !

You end up having to be a ukulele globe trotter in order to try a meaningful sample of the best instruments out there.. I wish there was a traveling show of customs that would come around occasionally !

It’s obviously not common, but I went to a Luthier expo in North Carolina earlier this year, and they had all of the ukes from Luthiers for a Cause on display. Visitors were able to handle the ukes and test them out for a while when it wasn’t too busy. I can tell you that there is definitely something different about those ukes. They just ooze elegance and perfection. I can honestly say that if I had the means, I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to pay $4,000 for any of them, and I would challenge anyone to say they were overpriced while holding one of those works of art in their hands. (Technically they aren’t for sale, but you get what I mean.) Not to hijack the thread, but if you’re not familiar with Luthiers for a Cause, look it up. It’s a really neat concept that I really buy into. Thankfully, these amazing Luthiers do as well.

There's some great luthiers in Oregon so you shouldn't have to travel too far. Or wait for a local ukulele festival in the PacNW. Think there's one about to happen in Port Townsend a mere 5 hour drive from Portland.

Most of the luthier built custom ukes I have owned we’re purchased used. Usually at 70% or less of the new price. If I didn’t like the sound or feel I sold them for what I paid or a little less. This is a good to “try” them without much financial risk.

I have no interest what so ever in over priced hand built instruments, they are not worth it to me, I can buy more than adequate instruments at sensible prices.

Most £300 ukes are more than good enough for the average player, but sometimes you just like the sound of one that is a little bit more expensive, as I did, & that is the only reason that I spent £500 on a uke, (KoAloha Opio acacia long neck concert). :)

I think there are some flaws in logic here:

1) Any seller can charge whatever they like. The market will dictate whether the prices stick and, if they do, then it's not that the ukes aren't worth it, it's that they aren't worth it to you. It's important to remember that those are two different things.

2) Just because machinery is used does not mean the price should be significantly lower. It doesn't mean the ukulele is less valuable or of lower quality. It just means that the luthier used machinery to help at points.

In the end, it's up to you. 4,000 is certainly enough for me to balk, but maybe if I knew who it was, wanted to support them, and had been saving for a (long) time, I would be okay with it. But some would take a hard line against such a thing. I've certainly seen some luthiers' work and would think 4K would be worth it - just unattainable for me personally.

But just because it's unattainable to me doesn't mean it isn't worth it.

It’s obviously not common, but I went to a Luthier expo in North Carolina earlier this year, and they had all of the ukes from Luthiers for a Cause on display. Visitors were able to handle the ukes and test them out for a while when it wasn’t too busy. I can tell you that there is definitely something different about those ukes. They just ooze elegance and perfection. I can honestly say that if I had the means, I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to pay $4,000 for any of them, and I would challenge anyone to say they were overpriced while holding one of those works of art in their hands. (Technically they aren’t for sale, but you get what I mean.) Not to hijack the thread, but if you’re not familiar with Luthiers for a Cause, look it up. It’s a really neat concept that I really buy into. Thankfully, these amazing Luthiers do as well.

I saw all these ukes and met all the builders at the Ukulele Guild of Hawaii show 2 years ago in Hawaii..Eddie and Patchen did all the ground work for these ukes with help from Andrew at The Ukulele Site who auctioned them...

all monies went to Luthiers for a Cause...the collector wanted to keep all these great custom ukes together in one collection to show at events all over the World...as a group they sold for 100K

nice to see the ukes are making the rounds.....:)

Last edited:
Or, look at is as how much joy will it bring you and what is that worth to you?

I don't think this is an argument about whether or not they are affordable but whether or not they are really worth that much. And to take the discussion away from this maker who really doesn't seem to sell very much given all his whining and need for love - there are a couple of Kanile'a Platinum Pineapples on sale in the UK at the moment - utterly gorgeous instruments but £3,499! Really? What is that based on other than there will always be a few people dumb/lucky enough to buy one. The materials are not that expensive, they don't take particularly longer to make and they don't have solid gold tuners. Where does £3,499 come from? Or £4,000 in this case where the timber used is really not special and the inlay was all done by computer in a few minutes. Sure, ask that much if you can get away with it but don't pretend you are getting value for money or something extra special because you are not.

One way to gauge the value of an ukulele purchase is to compare it to other cash outlays you make. For example, does the value of the ukulele equal the cost of a dinner out for two at a fine restaurant? Your monthly rent? A car payment, or for the extravagant, the total value of the car? Should the ukulele cost more than anything you would buy or own?

I don't think this is an argument about whether or not they are affordable but whether or not they are really worth that much. And to take the discussion away from this maker who really doesn't seem to sell very much given all his whining and need for love - there are a couple of Kanile'a Platinum Pineapples on sale in the UK at the moment - utterly gorgeous instruments but £3,499! Really? What is that based on other than there will always be a few people dumb/lucky enough to buy one. The materials are not that expensive, they don't take particularly longer to make and they don't have solid gold tuners. Where does £3,499 come from? Or £4,000 in this case where the timber used is really not special and the inlay was all done by computer in a few minutes. Sure, ask that much if you can get away with it but don't pretend you are getting value for money or something extra special because you are not.

This seems way emotional for a discussion about ukulele prices. Why would a person be dumb to spend that on a Kanilea if that is what they really want and through hard work/ luck were able to afford it? It's not a choice I would make but, without knowing them, you really can't criticize them or their motives. Many feel no one has the right to have so much disposable income, but that is another discussion. Unless they have immorally gotten that money by cheating, stealing, ir some other unscrupulous way, it is their money to spend as they see fit, and if a Kanilea us worth that to some peole, ir any other make/ lutheir's work, so be it. A personal gripe against a builder or brand, possibly well deseved, doesn't change that value is in the eyes of the purchaser.

Talking of value, is there value in prestige? Just throwing that out there. I prefer to go to a coffee shop down the street rather than the coffee nook in the corner of the convenience store up the street. The coffee costs a little more, but the place has character and the cliental seems a bit more refined. Some of my friends could care less and would just as soon save the quarter. There is a bit of prestige in owning a hand built ukulele. To the more pragmatic that might not be worth anything, but to some it is.

Talking of value, is there value in prestige? Just throwing that out there. I prefer to go to a coffee shop down the street rather than the coffee nook in the corner of the convenience store up the street. The coffee costs a little more, but the place has character and the cliental seems a bit more refined. Some of my friends could care less and would just as soon save the quarter. There is a bit of prestige in owning a hand built ukulele. To the more pragmatic that might not be worth anything, but to some it is.

Of course. This is why luxury brands exist. But I'd like to think that handbags and ukuleles are different. That's my naiveity probably!

Value is subjective. Goes a little to a thread I asked about earlier whether you were more a collector or player.

If you’re a player, maybe paying extra to get that little extra nuance of sound or customization is worth it for stage or recording purposes. If you’re a collector, maybe having everything you want as you designed is worth it.

Does Jay Leno need dozens of vintage classic cars when a sensible sedan will get him from point A to Point B? Of course not, but if you have the money and you’re not harming anyone. If it brings you joy, I say do it. People spend ridiculous amounts on fine art, wine, shoes, cars, all kinds of things really.

Top Bottom