Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The rising cost of "hand"made ukes

If you don't like the price, don't buy it. Everyone has the right to earn what they feel is fair for their work

Quote Originally Posted by WestyShane View Post
    $4k for a locally handmade uke is too high? Try pricing a new bicycle made anywhere in America.
    Always wanted a Richard Sachs frame i waited to long now his build list completely full and his prices are way more...my fault no one else....

as for ukes if the builder is asking too much i think he will not have any orders....
    Kanile'a K-2 Concert,Ko'Aloha Super Concert,Maui Music 1998 Koa Tenor,Compass Rose Koa Tenor,Graziano Koa Tenor,Kamaka HF3-S,Moore Bettah Milo/Sitka Spruce Tenor,DeVine mother of curl Koa/Engleman Spruce Tenor,Ko'olau Indo Rosewood/Sinker Redwood Tenor,Washburn Lyon and Healy 1936 Bell shaped soprano,Lfdm Bastogne Walnut/Carpathian Spruce Tenor,Rollo Scheurenbrand African Blackwood/Adirondack Spruce Tenor

Now if we could only guarantee a $4,000 ukulele sounded like one, I'd be tempted to spend the money.
    ~The Family~

KoAlana Concert (2012)
    KoAlana Soprano (2012)
    KoAloha Tenor KTM-00 (2014)
    KoAloha Long Neck Concert KCO-02
    Rebel​ Soprano Double Creme
    Pono Soprano MGS
    Islander Soprano MSS-4
    Mainland Soprano Classic (2018)
    Bruko Soprano No. 1
    Bruko Soprano No. 6
    Martin Soprano OXK
    Martin Soprano OX Natural
    Martin Soprano Style 0 (1957-1959)
    Du Barry Soprano (1920's)

Quote Originally Posted by Wet-Skunk View Post
    Now if we could only guarantee a $4,000 ukulele sounded like one, I'd be tempted to spend the money.
    Maybe try before you buy? That's the best guarantee of the sound you want.

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    Maybe try before you buy? That's the best guarantee of the sound you want.
    You end up having to be a ukulele globe trotter in order to try a meaningful sample of the best instruments out there.. I wish there was a traveling show of customs that would come around occasionally !
    "Everyone I know who is into the Ukulele is 'crackers' so get yourself a few and enjoy yourselves" - George Harrison

the ukes and year of acquisition:
    Pono RTSH-C-PC Cedar/Rosewood tenor 2016
    Koaloha KSM-02 Koa longneck soprano 2016
    Blackbird Farallon 2017
    2008 Kiwaya KTC-02 Mahogany concert 2018
    aNueNue Moonbird Spruce/Rosewood concert 2018

Quote Originally Posted by etudes View Post
    You end up having to be a ukulele globe trotter in order to try a meaningful sample of the best instruments out there.. I wish there was a traveling show of customs that would come around occasionally !
    It’s obviously not common, but I went to a Luthier expo in North Carolina earlier this year, and they had all of the ukes from Luthiers for a Cause on display. Visitors were able to handle the ukes and test them out for a while when it wasn’t too busy. I can tell you that there is definitely something different about those ukes. They just ooze elegance and perfection. I can honestly say that if I had the means, I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to pay $4,000 for any of them, and I would challenge anyone to say they were overpriced while holding one of those works of art in their hands. (Technically they aren’t for sale, but you get what I mean.) Not to hijack the thread, but if you’re not familiar with Luthiers for a Cause, look it up. It’s a really neat concept that I really buy into. Thankfully, these amazing Luthiers do as well.

There's some great luthiers in Oregon so you shouldn't have to travel too far. Or wait for a local ukulele festival in the PacNW. Think there's one about to happen in Port Townsend a mere 5 hour drive from Portland.

Most of the luthier built custom ukes I have owned we’re purchased used. Usually at 70% or less of the new price. If I didn’t like the sound or feel I sold them for what I paid or a little less. This is a good to “try” them without much financial risk.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

I have no interest what so ever in over priced hand built instruments, they are not worth it to me, I can buy more than adequate instruments at sensible prices.

Most 300 ukes are more than good enough for the average player, but sometimes you just like the sound of one that is a little bit more expensive, as I did, & that is the only reason that I spent 500 on a uke, (KoAloha Opio acacia long neck concert).
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I think there are some flaws in logic here:

1) Any seller can charge whatever they like. The market will dictate whether the prices stick and, if they do, then it's not that the ukes aren't worth it, it's that they aren't worth it to you. It's important to remember that those are two different things.

2) Just because machinery is used does not mean the price should be significantly lower. It doesn't mean the ukulele is less valuable or of lower quality. It just means that the luthier used machinery to help at points.

In the end, it's up to you. 4,000 is certainly enough for me to balk, but maybe if I knew who it was, wanted to support them, and had been saving for a (long) time, I would be okay with it. But some would take a hard line against such a thing. I've certainly seen some luthiers' work and would think 4K would be worth it - just unattainable for me personally.

But just because it's unattainable to me doesn't mean it isn't worth it.

Thread Information