Pohaku - Soprano - Cedar/Walnut

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingus

Reaction score
Hello! I am putting my prized Pohaku soprano up for grabs!

Full disclosure, I had it up a couple months ago along with a Koaloha soprano. The Koaloha soprano sold, and I took the Pohaku down and closed the thread. Well, I am in need of some cash to make another purchase...once again.

As stated in the past, I am on the hunt for a double bass. I have finally found what I am looking for, but I am a little shy of making it happen. Trying to generate the cash to make the purchase.

I was asking $875 shipped a couple months ago, but now I am willing to take a hit in order to get closer to the upright bass.

I purchased this ukulele directly from Peter Hurney earlier at the tale end of spring.

Here is his write up from his website:

http://www.pohakuukulele.com/royal-elm-burl

This really is a special soprano. Beautiful cedar and flamed walnut. Mahogany neck. Peghed tuners. Sounds awesome, and plays wonderfully - loud!

$725 shipped for this beauty!

Attachments

• IMG_2052.jpg
    IMG_2052.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2050.jpg
    IMG_2050.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_2048.jpg
    IMG_2048.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2047.jpg
    IMG_2047.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2046.jpg
    IMG_2046.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 188
Oh man! You've got this back up. This is a great deal. You'll get that double bass.

Very very happy with the KoAloha KSM-00C I got from you! You've had some nice ukes!

What a beautiful little soprano.
How is the cedar top holding up under what looks like a matte finish?
Will you post a better top photo, and give us a sound sample?

I wish I could trade you something... but understand your eyes on the double bass prize!
Anyone want a Kiwaya KTS-7 (Martin 3 copy) for a similar price? No longer available, HMS sold them for $1250...

They cedar top is blemish free, holding up just fine under the GLOSS top.

Don’t have a sound sample, but could send a short video via cell phone to anyone interested, thanks!

IMG_2188.jpg

Last edited:
The nut width is 1.5” - thanks!

My absolute bottom line is $675, thanks!

What is the scale length?

Is that nut width rare for a soprano?

Yeah. That is pretty wide for a soprano and if I were in the market I'd consider that a major selling point.

FWIW the kiwaya eco series sops (KS-5 and I think KS-1 also) have that width nut. I'm sure there are some others brands that do too but Im not sure which.

That width makes for a super nice playing soprano. I was always astounded by how roomy the fretboard on my ks5 felt even way up the neck. That little bit of extra space makes a massive difference on a soprano fretboard.

I'll have to check one of these out some day.

Last edited:
I made a couple short videos on my phone, I can email them or send them via text if anyone is seriously interested, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom