Not Happy

Timbuck

Reaction score
I'm struggling with a soprano that is giving me problems it hasn't gone together as it should (My fault I suppose :( ).. The tone and playability is great but! the sound hole is off centre and the headstock has a twist...In fact I'm going through a bad patch at the moment and thinking of retiring from build em.

Question what will I do with it ? 1 sell it as a second ?..2 scrap it or burn it ? .. 3 try and fix it ?.. 4 give it away ?.
# 3 is out for a start co's it would involve as much work as making a new one....Suggestions please :confused:

Last edited:
I'm struggling with a soprano that is giving me problems it hasn't gone together as it should (My fault I suppose :( ).. The tone and playability is great but! the sound hole is off centre and the headstock has a twist...In fact I'm going through a bad patch at the moment and thinking of retiring from build em.

Question what will I do with it ? 1 sell it as a second ?..2 scrap it or burn it ? .. 3 try and fix it ?.. 4 give it away ?.
# 3 is out for a start co's it would involve as much work as making a new one....Suggestions please :confused:

In fairness to your other buyers and to leave your brand untarnished it really should be option 1 or 2. It seems a pity not to gain something from the build and somehow wrong to destroy an otherwise useful instrument; I suggest that you sell it and that ‘second’ should be clearly marked on the label. eBay will decide the Uke’s value, or you could just offer it to friends at a discount you’d be happy with.

Edit. I suggest that you keep building Uke’s until you can’t build one that’s right. Before that scrap the ones that are too far wrong and sell off any seconds (that still sound and play fine) as just that with appropriate marking on the label. IIRC John had one from you with a crack in the top, he’s a suitably skilled buyer and made a good Uke from it. On inspection the repair done will show so your brand doesn’t suffer and you gifted (but sell to others) to a responsible buyer who you knew would do a good job. If you can spread the joy of your instruments in a way that doesn’t damage your brand then why not do it? :)

Last edited:
I agree, mark it as a (slightly?) sub standard build, on the headstock perhaps, & offer it up to the 'uke family' on here - if it plays well, that's what counts.

Yep, I agree with the above. If it were the only sub standard Ken Timms uke ever to escape into the wild, it would have a unique persona and could take its place in the pantheon of notable ukuleles.

I hope you will not retire from uke building, Ken. The world needs more Timms style 0s.

John Colter.

I hang them up in the workshop as a reminder not to stuff up next time. I feel guilty letting the not-right ones out into the world for folks to see.

I built a semi hollow cherry lap steel that I donated to the music therapy program at my VA hospital and it was much appreciated.

20181129_105244.jpg

If it plays ok I am sure it would be very welcomed and well used.

JMHO

Attachments

• 20180328_203222.jpg
    20180328_203222.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I hang them up in the workshop as a reminder not to stuff up next time. I feel guilty letting the not-right ones out into the world for folks to see.

I like this idea.

Throw darts at it every now and then to exorcise to demons

Ken, I just sent a message.. I play your ukes for the sound and not the looks, more than happy to give it a happy home vs a pit of fire..
Let me know how much you would want for it.

Picasso.jpg
Some of the world's great artists went through phases where they experimented with different versions of reality. Perhaps you're going through such a phase?
Keep up the good work and keep inspiring the rest of us mere mortals
Miguel

I would use this ukulele as a sacrifice to appease the ukulele gods ( who apparently aren't happy with You ) , and throw it in a fire.

I personally think I'd either burn it or hang it in my shop. If I was a builder, I would consider what might happen to this one once it's released to the public or even giving it away. You never know what might happen and how it would affect your wonderful perfect builds that so many treasure. In other words, I would not want anything out there that could/would tarnish my reputation as a top-line builder.

Just my thoughts.

Jim

Auction it off, "as is where is" and donate the proceeds to your favourite charity. That way someone benefits, as opposed to burning it where no one does.

I was an hour from meeting the customer and delivering this uke when I caught an edge with the buffing wheel which promptly smashed the back of the uke against the buffing stand. I was going to smash it but I called the guy and asked if he would like a freebee. He said he would and is happy as can be while I'm still suffering.
Damn

IMG_0027.jpg

Don't let it leave your shop. You have a huge presence in the market to protect. Keep it as your personal uke to play. (Unless you already have kept a better one.)

Top Bottom