gordon mark strings?

13down

Reaction score
Does anybody know what kind of strings Gordon Mark uses on the dgbe-tuned tenors that he plays in recordings and videos? In addition to really liking his style as a player, I believe that part of what I love about his sound is down to the strings. If anybody knows what type of strings he uses (I'm interested especially in what he puts on tenors, but also in what he puts on baritones) I would greatly appreciate it!

Hi there. Great to connect with another Gordon fan. I agree that Gordon's baritone tuning on his KoAloha tenors helps to create a really special sound. If you watch his videos for "Akaka Falls" an "If", he actually uses an original tuning of D#, G#, C, F, in other words, one half step up from a regular baritone.
I have tried some DGBE strings on a tenor but have found them too muddy and deep for the tenor body. Gordon's half step up tuning is less boomy.
Some strings to try are the GHS HF-20 or GHS 20F. These strings are thicker than the regular flourocarbons and the tension is incredible high. However, these strings are also quite good for trying out Gordon's D#, G#, C, F tuning.
Hope this is useful. Let me know your thoughts if you do try these strings out.
Roddy

Top Bottom