Songs from the Bathroom 3 - If You Could Read My Mind

S11LKO

Reaction score
Number three of the seven I set out to do. All just recorded with the built in mic on an iPad to see what sort of sound I'd get...

My favourite song
Is that an Ovation?
If the iPad is the new model, I heard the built in mic is already very good.
Great singing and playing as always. Truly inspiring !

Oh, thanks young Brenda. I'm glad you enjoyed as it was fun to do. It's right up their on the list of my favourite songs too.

The guitar is actually a 'Freshman Apollo 1' - Freshman being a Scottish family run business. I don't know how big a company they are nowadays, but at the time I bought this they were relatively small.

I was travelling around on my own living from hotel to hotel for about 2 years at the time I bought it (some domestic problems, don't ask - it'll start me off lol) and in a hotel lounge just outside Glasgow was a young lad singing and playing his Freshman guitar to all the residents. He was good, and it got me realising how much I missed playing myself.

So the next day I went straight to a guitar store in Glasgow to buy a cheapish guitar to travel with me, and on which I could pick up playing again and which would keep me company in my lonely hotel rooms at night. (Big enough sob story yet? lol)

I tried a few and THIS one just felt right. For me, it played and sounded better than any other make I tried in the price range which was about £300 U.K. at the time.

I've enjoyed it ever since, and I've read a lot of pro-musos have since bought Freshman guitars, including Dean Friedman who's another of my fave singer/songwriters.

My iPad is just one of the original iPad Air's and is about 5 years old now. I've recorded nearly all my stuff using it and it's inbuilt mic, and have received lots of nice comments about how it's produced surpringly good sound quality for such a small and basic microphone.

I've bought some proper recording kit now. Once I've learned how to use it, it'll be interesting to do some comparison stuff...

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your story
You know this song is composed by a Canadian right ?

Haha! Indeed. Gordon Lightfoot & Bryan Adams are two of my fave musicians - along with someone called 'Brenda Lee'. Canada obviously has the knack of producing great artistes! x

Do you use tripod for iPad, young Dave?

Hi mate. I have got a 'holder' for my iPad which secures it to a tripod, but if I'm honest, most of the time I just prop it up on a small table in front of me.

Top Bottom