Can someone please identify these Aquila strings?

Melodious Thunk

Reaction score
Howdy,

I've never been a fan Aquila strings. I've always preferred Worths on sopranos.

I just received a concert that I believe was strung with the pictured strings. I liked the sound, but thought that Worths would sound even better. So I took the strings off and put on some Worths. I must admit that I don't care for the Worths and would like to go back to what was originally on the uke.

Aquila seems to have changed packaging since these were made. I am hoping that someone here could tell me what they are so that I could purchase some. Are they nylon?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Strings.jpg

Thanks! I figured it out. Aquila 7U = Nylgut. Ukulele Strings

LOL! I should have been able to figure that out on my own. Oh well, it has been a real long day!

Thanks much!

Am I right in thinking that they no longer make "Nylgut" strings? That "Nylguts" have been replaced by "New Nylguts"?

Thanks!

Am I right in thinking that they no longer make "Nylgut" strings? That "Nylguts" have been replaced by "New Nylguts"?

Thanks!

Never mind! I figured it out. The "New Nylguts" have the same "7U" indication, so I am going to assume that they have been replaced!

Thanks again!

It does also say it is for concert, which means it will fit a soprano or a concert as a rentrant tuning ( which means C is the lowest note, then the E reenter the G, then the A.
The low G -C-E-A is called linear tuning----right up the strings from lowest to highest. If you have a "spare uke" try low G regular C and E and then put another low G where the A should be, and pull it a whole tone above the low G to become a low A. Playing chords as 7ths makes them jazz chords. All three of mine have Aquila strings

It does also say it is for concert, which means it will fit a soprano or a concert as a rentrant tuning ( which means C is the lowest note, then the E reenter the G, then the A.
The low G -C-E-A is called linear tuning----right up the strings from lowest to highest. If you have a "spare uke" try low G regular C and E and then put another low G where the A should be, and pull it a whole tone above the low G to become a low A. Playing chords as 7ths makes them jazz chords. All three of mine have Aquila strings

Thanks. I am familiar with different tunings. I much prefer and will be staying with high G tuning. I was just trying to figure out what strings I had so that I could purchase a new set and try them out for a while. Turns out that they stopped making them and that they have been replaced by "New Nylguts".

Vintage Aquila 7U strings. Possibly collectible. Put the old strings in a little bag and hoard it so that your children think its worth a lot after you die.
Mimmo who works at Aquila is a UU member. He will possibly give you more info if you send him a PM.

LOL! I don't have any children (and don't plan on having any). Should I will them to you?

I think they are pretty cool 'cuz they have a price tag from Matt Umanov Guitars in NY.

I have several sets of unopened Martin 600 strings which follow the product name from nylon to fluorocarbon. There is no money in it, but it is an interesting aspect of owning a ukulele which is enjoyable to look at when you need a break from the actual playing.

That’s interesting to me. Does it say what size (diameter) strings were used, if so I’d love to know what they were, and was it clear or nylon or some other colour? I take it that those old nylon ones played ok ?

In support of the Aquila 7U’s there are just some Ukes that they are right for, mostly I use M600’s but occasionally I’ve switched back to Aquila’s - I think the new nylgut better than the earlier version, but YMMV.

Edit. Found this on-line:

Crystal nylon that delivers a bright, consistent tone
For Ukulele
Premium quality strings
gauges: 021-032-036-025

Last edited:
Top Bottom