Which uke would you like to try?

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Just curious which uke you may be itching to try someday, one that you might actually buy? Me, of course I'd like to try some K-brand tenors. But since I don't see myself buying one anytime soon, a more realistic choice would be a tenor Fluke. I've had soprano Fleas, a concert Fluke, and currently have a concert Flea, all of which I've liked, but never tried a tenor Fluke. How about you? If I got one, I'd prefer the wooden fretboard.

Last edited:
I want to try them all, so all those not available locally.

Mostly the concert scales.

A recent Kamaka,
An Ohta San
A Kanilea
A Koaloha
A Cocobolo
Etc etc

My answer keeps changing. Today I'd like to try a spruce top baritone.

A Cedar Kamaka Tenor

A Beau Hannam and a Moore Bettah. And add a Kinnard, Grimes, LFDM, Weimer and Rick Turner
Oh and a Duane Noble Harp and also his Tenor
Yep - it's all good :)

Last edited:
I'd really like to try a Pono AC-T Taropatch. A few months ago there was one at HMS for $350 including a hard case and just when I was about to buy it someone else snagged it. I've seen them at other retailers but everywhere else they cost more and don't include a case. If that deal pops up at HMS ever again I may grab one. I'd take a vintage Martin taropatch to but they are WAY more expensive.

I'd also really like to try a Takumi TS-1M soprano which is the soprano version of my TC-1M. It an interesting soprano in that it has 14 frets to the body but is not a long neck. I think I'd really like it.

I'd also like to try a Pohaku soprano (yes, I realize there is one in the marketplace right now) and a Pohaku concert 10.

Last edited:
I have incoming ukes that I will not list
1. Moore Bettah uke that is not sitka or Koa
2. Steve Grimes
3. Koolau
4. Wiemer
5. Beau Hannam soprano
This is like asking how many breaths would you like to experience and enjoy.. as many as possible

So many ukes to think about..... but lately I'd love to try a Mya-Moe baritone. I've heard they have a lovely thin neck profile.

Last edited:
I'd love to try a Mya-Moe baritone. I've heard they have a lovely thin neck profile.

Maybe a Fine Resophonics Spider and Biscuit cone. But I am really not interested in trying lots of ukes, trying out ukes, owning a bunch of ukes. I am into playing and enjoying them, and for me that happens with what I own, and wouldn't happen with owning many unless I lived in a mansion, and then I would want one always within reach.

I would love the opportunity to play a Moonbird (both a soprano and a concert). Want to buy, but first need to try.

i had to think about this for a few minutes. When I bought my Kala solid cedar top tenor cutaway, I compared it to a couple of $1000+ K brands and didn't feel they were 3 times better, so that was my hands on experience. Then I wanted an Ovation tenor but missed out on an eBay auction and ultimately bought a Godin Multiuke in the Marketplace that is a much better instrument. Not long ago a tenor plastic fretboard walnut Fluke came up in the Marketplace and decided to buy it with so much hype I've heard and read, but I don't find it all that comfortable to play with the neck shape.

It would be nice to try a Beau Hannam, Mya Moe, LFdM, Moore Bettah but I don't think I'd actually buy one since I'm so happy with the ones I have.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I'd like to try a 19" scaled baritone, (mahogany or cedar), I have 19.75" & 20.125" scales, but they are 'a little bit big' & 'too big', for me, so I reckon the old 19" would be the right scale length for my hands.

I'm not into expensive ukes, just good players, at sensible prices, so no fancy K brands required. :)

I just sat down and made a list of all the ukes I've owned over the 2+ years I've been playing. Quite a variety of brands & sizes. Waterman, Teton, Islander, Bonanza, Famous, Imua, Loprinzi, Gary Gill, KoAloha, aNueNue, and Blackbird. I just picked up a Kanilea for the first time this week. I've always wanted to try one. Now I'm starting down the string experimentation road with it. So many wonderful & ever evolving choices.

Last edited:
A Martin. I don't know why, in fact I haven't thought about it up until this thread, but a Martin.

Kamaka Ohta-San all premium koa deluxe! :D:shaka:

Something like this...
ohta san.jpg

I'd love to get my hands on a Romero Creations Tiny Tenor (probably the solid mahogany model.) Also, a Blackbird Clara would be an interesting experience.

(Funny how I seem to be focused on some non-conventional designs. Probably just a personality trait! :cool:)

Top Bottom