Which uke would you like to try?

Just curious which uke you may be itching to try someday, one that you might actually buy? Me, of course I'd like to try some K-brand tenors. But since I don't see myself buying one anytime soon, a more realistic choice would be a tenor Fluke. I've had soprano Fleas, a concert Fluke, and currently have a concert Flea, all of which I've liked, but never tried a tenor Fluke. How about you? If I got one, I'd prefer the wooden fretboard.

Hmmm.

Next I'd like to try ...

Lichty Modified Baritone
Kala Torrified spruce super tenor
Kanile's TRU-R Baritone
LFdM Super tenor
Petros tenor
Jake model Kamaka tenor

Last edited:
I managed to finally tackle my UAS by getting a Kiwaya KTS-7, so for me there aren't that many ukes to aspire for anymore (thankfully). But obviously one has to have at least some goals in life so:

Vintage Martin (style 0, style 1, any really)
Martin style 3
Martin style 5
Kamaka
KoAloha
A custom uke from a revered luthier.

Specifically, a soprano model from that list. I like sopranos. :)

Last edited:
I’d like to try a Hive since I’m saving for one. It’s all blind faith at this point.

I’d also like to try a vintage Martin 1 and 3, as well as a Mya Moe in cherry.

I want to try a good quality baritone (kanile'a, kamaka, lfdm or equivalent).
Slightly off topic (sorry) but I wasn't sure if KoAloha do baritone? I don't think I've ever seen any for sale.

The glib answer would be: any uke I haven't yet had the opportunity to play. The options are nearly endless. I own a few very nice customs at present.

There are several luthier-made tenor styles/models I'd love to be able to try. Probably a number of them that I haven't yet heard of. Any of the "Luthiers for a Cause" tenors made with mahogany from "The Tree."

I hope to some day be able to play an LFdM, Pegasus, Beau Hannam, Lichty, well basically most of the tenor ukuleles sold by "Ukulele Friend". The ONE that I would most like to try is a Rosewood/Spruce Moore Bettah tenor. (Though any wood combination would be fine.) I have never heard nor seen one in person. Let alone held one. In all of the vids I have listened to, the MBs have sounded excellent.

I am fortunate to own a Hive Redwood/Rosewood tenor. Otherwise, that would have been my Number-1 covet to play.

A Ken Timms soprano.

I managed to finally tackle my UAS by getting a Kiwaya KTS-7, so for me there aren't that many ukes to aspire for anymore (thankfully)

I’d like to try a Kiwaya KTS-7.... but I know what you mean about Kiwaya putting the kibosh on UAS. I’m quite content with my collection these days. I could part with some ukes by other makers but my core group of Kiwaya Artist Series ukes are staying with me.
Still... I’d like to try a Loprinzi some day.

I’d like to try a Kiwaya KTS-7.... but I know what you mean about Kiwaya putting the kibosh on UAS. I’m quite content with my collection these days. I could part with some ukes by other makers but my core group of Kiwaya Artist Series ukes are staying with me.
Still... I’d like to try a Loprinzi some day.

Funnily enough, when I first received the KTS-7 I was massively underwhelmed. The matte finish on it made it feel really cheap, almost plasticy, which made me wonder if I was sent some sort of KTS-7 replica (which of course is already a replica of another uke :D ). Also, the grain on the mahogany top looked really plain and dull. If I had had the chance to try the uke before ordering it I don't know if I would've actually bought it.
Luckily, I realised that my living room lighting is quite dim, so I took the uke under some fluorescent lamps and, my god, the difference was night and day. Looked almost like a completely different uke. And of course the sound it produces is amazing, especially once I changed the stock Fremont Black Lines to Living Waters. I'm still not a huge fan of the matte finish lookswise but it does make the uke feel extremely comfortable in my hands. After the initial disappointment, it has definitely curbed my UAS.

Hasn't curbed my banjolele acquisition syndrome (BAS?) however. I need to add the vintage Gibson banjo ukes to my list. :)

Last edited:
If I walked into a room full of dream ukes I would love to try a Moore Bettah , Hive and Beau Hannam

Reading about the possible trips in the thread has me thinking on my own travel plans. I'm considering a trip in the spring to Nashville to try different high quality mandolins. Maybe a trip to Honolulu to Ukulele Friend? :) Those would be bucket list trips. I feel part of the fuel to my UAS had been the inability to try out an instrument. And unless one lives near say Elderly, Gryphon Strings, Uke Republic, HMS, etc it can be a quite a challenge?

Last edited:
Not being able to try out ukes locally lead to my UAS, buying online was the only way to find out what really suited me, luckily I found mine without spending too much money.

I'm happy with my last two purchases, they were what I had been after all along, but without holding/playing them, I just couldn't tell what I needed. :)

My perfect uke is a long neck concert, having got a couple, my UAS stopped.

Unicorn ukulele

Koolau Arch Top
Koolau Premium...and other models
DeVine Kasha
DeVine Muse
Collings ukulele
Miya Moe
Hive
MooreBettah

My list (in no particular order):

Lymana
Toda
Glyph
Pegasus
Kawika
Pu’uwai
Koa Works

I’d drive a few hours each way to try out any one of these.

Kamanaaloha,
The Ukulele Store on Lewers St. in Honolulu had a couple of Devine tenors when I visited last year. They currently have a Devine long neck concert on their website. Also check out the Lymanas if you haven't already.

Top Bottom