Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which uke would you like to try?

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Just curious which uke you may be itching to try someday, one that you might actually buy? Me, of course I'd like to try some K-brand tenors. But since I don't see myself buying one anytime soon, a more realistic choice would be a tenor Fluke. I've had soprano Fleas, a concert Fluke, and currently have a concert Flea, all of which I've liked, but never tried a tenor Fluke. How about you? If I got one, I'd prefer the wooden fretboard.
    Hmmm.

Next I'd like to try ...

Lichty Modified Baritone
    Kala Torrified spruce super tenor
    Kanile's TRU-R Baritone
    LFdM Super tenor
    Petros tenor
    Jake model Kamaka tenor
    Last edited by Doc_J; 09-21-2019 at 05:16 AM.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

I managed to finally tackle my UAS by getting a Kiwaya KTS-7, so for me there aren't that many ukes to aspire for anymore (thankfully). But obviously one has to have at least some goals in life so:

Vintage Martin (style 0, style 1, any really)
    Martin style 3
    Martin style 5
    Kamaka
    KoAloha
    A custom uke from a revered luthier.

Specifically, a soprano model from that list. I like sopranos.
    Last edited by Dohle; 09-23-2019 at 09:48 PM.

I’d like to try a Hive since I’m saving for one. It’s all blind faith at this point.

I’d also like to try a vintage Martin 1 and 3, as well as a Mya Moe in cherry.

I want to try a good quality baritone (kanile'a, kamaka, lfdm or equivalent).
    Slightly off topic (sorry) but I wasn't sure if KoAloha do baritone? I don't think I've ever seen any for sale.
    ~ "Music washes away the dust of everyday life" ~

•••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••

Soprano - 2002 Koa KoAloha
    Concert - Ziegenspeck mahogany Sunburst sunrise • Kanile'a KSC-C
    Tenor - Anuenue UT200 • Sumi Kobo sinker cedar + ziricote • Kamaka 100th anniversary • Kanile'a KSR-T • LFDM ukaferri
    Baritone - Kala SMHB

"Beater" no brand solid spruce + rosewood tenor

The glib answer would be: any uke I haven't yet had the opportunity to play. The options are nearly endless. I own a few very nice customs at present.

There are several luthier-made tenor styles/models I'd love to be able to try. Probably a number of them that I haven't yet heard of. Any of the "Luthiers for a Cause" tenors made with mahogany from "The Tree."

I hope to some day be able to play an LFdM, Pegasus, Beau Hannam, Lichty, well basically most of the tenor ukuleles sold by "Ukulele Friend". The ONE that I would most like to try is a Rosewood/Spruce Moore Bettah tenor. (Though any wood combination would be fine.) I have never heard nor seen one in person. Let alone held one. In all of the vids I have listened to, the MBs have sounded excellent.

I am fortunate to own a Hive Redwood/Rosewood tenor. Otherwise, that would have been my Number-1 covet to play.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

A Ken Timms soprano.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Dohle View Post
    I managed to finally tackle my UAS by getting a Kiwaya KTS-7, so for me there aren't that many ukes to aspire for anymore (thankfully)
    I’d like to try a Kiwaya KTS-7.... but I know what you mean about Kiwaya putting the kibosh on UAS. I’m quite content with my collection these days. I could part with some ukes by other makers but my core group of Kiwaya Artist Series ukes are staying with me.
    Still... I’d like to try a Loprinzi some day.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
    I’d like to try a Kiwaya KTS-7.... but I know what you mean about Kiwaya putting the kibosh on UAS. I’m quite content with my collection these days. I could part with some ukes by other makers but my core group of Kiwaya Artist Series ukes are staying with me.
    Still... I’d like to try a Loprinzi some day.
    Funnily enough, when I first received the KTS-7 I was massively underwhelmed. The matte finish on it made it feel really cheap, almost plasticy, which made me wonder if I was sent some sort of KTS-7 replica (which of course is already a replica of another uke ). Also, the grain on the mahogany top looked really plain and dull. If I had had the chance to try the uke before ordering it I don't know if I would've actually bought it.
    Luckily, I realised that my living room lighting is quite dim, so I took the uke under some fluorescent lamps and, my god, the difference was night and day. Looked almost like a completely different uke. And of course the sound it produces is amazing, especially once I changed the stock Fremont Black Lines to Living Waters. I'm still not a huge fan of the matte finish lookswise but it does make the uke feel extremely comfortable in my hands. After the initial disappointment, it has definitely curbed my UAS.

Hasn't curbed my banjolele acquisition syndrome (BAS?) however. I need to add the vintage Gibson banjo ukes to my list.
    Last edited by Dohle; 10-15-2019 at 05:26 AM.

If I walked into a room full of dream ukes I would love to try a Moore Bettah , Hive and Beau Hannam
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    If I walked into a room full of dream ukes I would love to try a Moore Bettah , Hive and Beau Hannam
    Dave, if you’re ever in Atlanta, I make that happen.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Thread Information