SOTU 397 "And Is There Honey Still For Tea?"

If ever a craze could be said to have 'gone viral' in 1937, 'The Lambeth Walk' was that craze. Mussolini actually hired an English girl in Milan to show him the steps!
And speaking of (thankfully) long-dead Fascists doing the Lambeth Walk, there's always 2 minutes to spare to enjoy this, "Schichlegruber doing the Lambeth walk":

I came across this when I was researching The Lambeth Walk. All that "goose-stepping" lent itself to a parody of the song. Many thanks for that, Paul!

Rivers

Aaah!!! And thank you, Paul ... Song??????
Song? You ask. Song you shall have.

It's strange to think back and realise that even as recently as 2011, you could be writing songs and finding audiences receptive to a positive vision of England, and Englishness; liberated by the European project from its colonialist, imperialist and military baggage. How quickly things change.

Here's one from Frank Turner, a 21st century collection of 'Home Thoughts From Abroad':

A13 Trunk Road To The Sea

I may have done this one before, Billy Bragg's paean to the path that leads East-Enders to the fleshpots of Southend-on-Sea, but I've just come across this 'hi-life' treatment by AJ Holmes & The Hackney Empire.

This is nothing like hi-life.

There's a great article by Billy B on the A13 and the background to this song here: Memory Maps: 'A13, Trunk Road To The Sea'

The route of the A13, Trunk Road To The Sea, from Aldgate East, Whitechapel to Ness Road, Shoeburyness.

Screenshot 2019-09-27 21.46.49.jpg

Last edited:
This was the only hit the Rose Garden had. Their female lead singer, Diana DeRose, had an incredibly deep voice for a woman, well down into the male baritone range. Unfortunately, she sang lead on only two songs on this album. All the other songs with a male lead singer weren't nearly as good. They should have let her sing lead all the time. She also played acoustic guitar.

So anyway this is in the original key AND the same octave that Diana DeRose sang it in. It made it to #17 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1967 or '68. I've always wondered why they didn't say "runway number NINE," since that would have rhymed with "baby of MINE." But whatever.

Last edited:

And, again, Good Morning from a lighter France this morning ... well, it's a bit later! Thanks so much for all the latest contributions ... you keep coming up with songs about the Mother Country that I've never heard before. The Playlist is up to date and there is a whole weekend ahead to bring more songs ... please keep them coming!

And, meanwhile ... yet more tea!

Russian Horse Apple song

The Czar in Russia to help the war effort had a drive to collect scrap metal
to be used to manufacture munitions. After the revolution many Russian
emigres moved to East London and still plied their trade in the EastEnd.
This is a song they used to sing in the streets.

Another one from that fine British group, The Kinks. Any other songs which mention china cups and billiards?

A genuine Scottish scone is almost inedible though - you'd break your teeth trying to chew it.

My Grandmother's and my mother's (Aberdonians, both) certainly weren't like that at all. They were soft and delicious. A relation of the scone is the Yorkshire Fat Rascal. They tend to be firmer than a scone but not biscuit like.

..... our lithe bodies fill
With vigour, as we leap and dance and run."

Whoever wrote that for young girls to sing would be on a government register today 😈😜

PS I have a song written especially for this week. I only hope I can find the time tomorrow to do the video!

Whoever wrote that for young girls to sing would be on a government register today ����

PS I have a song written especially for this week. I only hope I can find the time tomorrow to do the video!

Yes, that DID occur to me when I was remembering it. I have a feeling that the school was founded in the late 19th Century, so, presumably at the time the song was written, the words would have been completely innocent. Do hope you get a chance to record that song, Berni!

A genuine Scottish scone is almost inedible though - you'd break your teeth trying to chew it.
My Grandmother's and my mother's (Aberdonians, both) certainly weren't like that at all. They were soft and delicious. A relation of the scone is the Yorkshire Fat Rascal. They tend to be firmer than a scone but not biscuit like.
Gotcha!! :rotfl:

3467335_orig.jpg

Last edited:
A second submission...

This song may not mention the UK by name, but could could be more British than the Knights of the Round Table?

Top Bottom