SOTU 397 "And Is There Honey Still For Tea?"

LimousinLil

Reaction score
Hello Seasonistas and welcome to Season 397, in which we are celebrating all things British!

In 1912, Rupert Brooke, whilst living in Berlin and homesick for England, wrote a poem entitled "The Vicarage, Grantchester", extolling the virtues of the area surrounding this property (where he had often stayed) in Cambridgeshire. On a basic level, this poem was probably overly idealistic even for the halcyon days of the Edwardian era and in 2019 - when the United Kingdom is plunged into turmoil as never before at the prospect of Brexit -
it seems even more so. The title of this week's Season is taken from the last (and most often quoted) line from that poem.

Please watch the Intro. video for more details ... it's VERY short! All the usual rules apply and there is no song limit. There MAY be prizes.

Meanwhile, do not miss the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to release your inner female/male side for Joko's splendid Season!

I'll put up the Playlist when the entries start coming in ... and I can remember how to do it!

AND HERE IS THE LINK TO THE PLAYLIST:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHFDjTj2zZYxr9xKDh89PpDNe8gqC1kR3

Last edited:
[video]https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cqQrYbtP49[/video]

I learned something about creating new playlists just today that I wish I'd known at beginning of the week. IN the link above, I explain "auto-add"...

Last edited:
[video]https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cqQrYbtP49[/video]

I learned something about creating new playlists just today that I wish I'd known at beginning of the week. IN the link above, I explain "auto-add"...

Thanks for that, Joko! (I always have to go back to square one to remind myself what I need to do when it comes to creating the Playlist ... I suppose because I only do it a couple of times a year.)

you don't get any more English than tea, nanny baking fairy cakes, gardens, willow trees, hollyhocks and roses, croquet, and church bells chiming …. and 10/10 to Paul McCartney for writing a song with the words 'twee' and 'peradventure' in it ...

I am currently suffering from buffering ... I had hoped that we would have our new (and improved!) Internet service by now, but it hasn't arrived yet. I'll add all new entries to the Playlist a.s.a.p., but it may be a while before I can listen to and comment on your contributions. Sorry!!!

Hang on, I hear you say - didn't Woody Guthrie write this about 1940's America? Yes, he did, but then along came Billy Bragg with some new words.

Good Morning (well, it IS here!), Seasonistas, and thank you to everyone who has contributed so far. The Playlist is up to date and I am hoping that our Internet service will be behaving itself sufficiently that I am able to actually LISTEN to your entries today. I forgot to mention that drag is optional this week, but if anyone feels an irresistible urge to dress up like the Queen (Joko?) or Prince Phillip, then please go for it. A special "thank you" to Lynda for bringing a song from my home county ... although I thought for one weird and deeply disturbing moment that she was recycling my school song, of which I can, thankfully, only remember the first verse. It went like this ...

"Down where the Sussex Sea floats by caressingly,
Warmed by the benediction of the sun,
Hope fires our hearts and wills
And our lithe bodies fills
With vigour, as we leap and dance and run."

We Brits are, undoubtedly, ODD!!!

Those of you who remember W.W.2 might recall this patriotic song made famous by Dame Vera Lynn

My gosh, Caz, you've been busy ... thank you! This one goes back a lot further than Lily Allen or even The Clash (but not so far as "Greensleeves".) It comes from 1937, originating from the show "Me and My Girl" from which it was adapted into a dance which swept the country. The instructions are from Arthur Murray. (The only Creative Commons video I could find was a rather lack-lustre version which looks as though it's being performed at a school prom ... but you can get the general idea.)

Here's one from The Pogues. Written by Shane Macgowan great songwriter and exemplar of British dentistry. ha..I shouldn't talk my choppers aren't so flash either.Sorry i missed Joko's week. I've been on holidays in Penang Malaysia.One of the best eating destinations in South East Asia.For the afficionados best Hainan Chicken Rice and Char Kway Teow in the world for about $3 a plate.
Rainy night in Soho.
Good theme Val!

And hello again from deepest France, where it is a very grey morning. Thank you, Alan for finding a "honey" song and John for abandoning the culinary delights of South East Asia to bring us a great Pogues cover. The Playlist is up to date. Please keep the songs coming!

Top Bottom