SOTU 397 "And Is There Honey Still For Tea?"

"Portsmouth" is a traditional dance tune from Playford's The Dancing Master. Tabs by R.J. Putter

Hi, Val! You brought this one a couple of years ago. Love Roger Miller!

Sorry I've been away the past couple Seasons. Our group's played seven(!) dates this month and we have one to go, Sunday at a nursing home. Still not quitting my day job.

I found this lovely tune about the UK. Sung by a Jonny R. O'ten, Sid Visuoghs and their band the Six Pepsis.

Donovan's isle of Islay.
Islay is a Scottish island famous for it's whiskey.
I bought my brother a bottle of Islay Whiskey for his birthday.Can't remember the name but the distillery dated back to the late 1700's from memory.Judging by the taste they know what they are doing.
Some Islay footage from the sixties.

And Good Morning again from deepest, darkest France ... although I DO believe it's supposed to be sunny today (or, at least, not raining!) Thanks so much to everyone who has contributed in the last few hours ... the Playlist is up to date. (I don't think I've left anyone off, but please let me know if you're not up there.) Please keep the songs coming! Meanwhile, please spare a thought for us - it's not easy being a Brit ....

I found this definition of "biscuit" ...

"In the UK, a cookie is a soft, squishy, moist "biscuit" (for lack of a better word) ... A British "biscuit" is an American "cookie" and an American "cookie" is a British "cookie" and an American "biscuit" is a British "scone" and an American "scone" is something else entirely."

So, there you have it! The Playlist is up to date ... please keep the contributions coming.

I'd have thought, Lil, living in France, you'd know that 'biscuit' comes from the French for 'twice-cooked' ('bis'+'cuit')!!
As to the others:
"Cookie" comes from the Dutch "koekje", a small cake.
"Scone", believe it or not, is Scottish, and comes from the German schön, as in schönbrot - fine bread. A genuine Scottish scone is almost inedible though - you'd break your teeth trying to chew it.

I'd have thought, Lil, living in France, you'd know that 'biscuit' comes from the French for 'twice-cooked' ('bis'+'cuit')!!
As to the others:
"Cookie" comes from the Dutch "koekje", a small cake.
"Scone", believe it or not, is Scottish, and comes from the German schön, as in schönbrot - fine bread. A genuine Scottish scone is almost inedible though - you'd break your teeth trying to chew it.

I was referring to the flag above ... the Union Jack is BRITISH!!! And it had never occurred to me that biscuit derived from "bis-cuit". Thanks so much for these pearls of wisdom .... how about a song, Sir???

Flamboyant Rock and Roll. That is the greatest treasure to come out of the United Kingdom. Bar none.

No fatted calves were harmed in the making of this video.

This one ... comes from 1937, originating from the show "Me and My Girl" from which it was adapted into a dance which swept the country. The instructions are from Arthur Murray. (The only Creative Commons video I could find was a rather lack-lustre version which looks as though it's being performed at a school prom ... but you can get the general idea.)
https://youtu.be/PAvpiP2rrdY

If ever a craze could be said to have 'gone viral' in 1937, 'The Lambeth Walk' was that craze. Mussolini actually hired an English girl in Milan to show him the steps!
And speaking of (thankfully) long-dead Fascists doing the Lambeth Walk, there's always 2 minutes to spare to enjoy this, "Schichlegruber doing the Lambeth walk":

​Hello, Paul! How DARE it!!!

Thank you, Lil, for the opportunity to go all Sheldon Cooper & exercise some full-blown vexillological pedantry.

Technically, the (British) Union Flag is a jack-flag only when it derives from the canton (upper hoist quarter) of the (red, white or blue) ensign flown at the stern; it's so-called cos it's flown from the jackstaff when a vessel's anchored or moored.

poflag-rug9solo.jpg

This by way of introducing the fun fact that the USA also has a Union Jack of its own. The US uses their national flag as their ensign at sea. In the canton of that flag-cum-ensign is a field of 50 stars. When US-flagged ships are at anchor, they fly that canton as their jack-flag. The 50 stars represent all 50 states in the union.

PartsOfFlag.jpg

And that's why the US has a Union Jack of its own (NavyTimes.com: Here's why the Union Jack is back):

NY6PG6ZHOVCBFH2FXWDIC4VVXI.jpg

Attachments

• 69713020_10220505772583422_5810616350875320320_o.jpg
    69713020_10220505772583422_5810616350875320320_o.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 0
Top Bottom