What size ukulele is this?

I'm no expert, let me say that first off! Saying that, it sounds like a smaller scale instrument to me so I'd say soprano if I could only have one guess.

It sounds re-entrant tuning, I'm not sure if it's gCEA as it sounds a little off to be that - it could just be a little out of tune though.

Sorry, that's my best guess. There are much more talented and music savy people on the forum though who will hopefully chime in and be much more help.

I agree with Pix.fairydust. It sounds like a cheap laminate soprano and it sounds like re-entrant tuning but I can't work out how it's tuned. They are not playing the song in the original key and I can't work out whether they have just transposed it or whether they have tuned their uke differently. If I had to guess, I would say that they are playing it in Bb, while the original song is in G, and they might have detuned their uke to Bb tuning and they are playing the chord shapes for C major, but I'm also no expert and I have little confidence in that answer.

Thank you VERY much for the info! I'm a musician that's writing and recording a lot lately and I'm looking for new (for me) sounds. I thought I'd use this tune as a way to get my bearings. I'd like to make sure that whatever I get...can record nicely. (just a warm, traditional uke sound vs cheap, thin and strident) If fact, if anyone has some suggestions as to a descent sounding "mid range?" uke...I'd be very interested. If I could find something halfway descent for under $500...that would be killer.

I'm thinking about a "concert" size.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about a "concert" size.

The best recommendation I can make is MIMS UKES. She has a wide selection, and each uke is set up, which is what most ukes need, unless they are high end ukes.

oh, and welcome to the fray....

The best recommendation I can make is MIMS UKES. She has a wide selection, and each uke is set up, which is what most ukes need, unless they are high end ukes.

oh, and welcome to the fray....

Thank you! I wish I would have seen this post before I ordered the uke I did...lol. No worries, it was inexpensive and has a solid top. If I end up using the uke for more projects in the future, I'll definitely go to
MIMS UKES...really great selection and fair pricing! Honestly, I've played/taught guitar for so long now...that I really just needed a nice change;) A lot of times I sing in a soft/sweet fashion...and for those tunes, I think a uke would be a nice compliment.

All advice greatly appreciated:)

Thanks for such a useful topic! I have several questions connected to this also.

I'd say Soprano, Re-entrant tuned. But I'm deaf in one ear and hard of hearing in the other. :eek:

My hearing is High end deficient and the Uke is low enough that I can hear even a sop pretty well but I play Bari's mostly.

My guess is concert scale oil can ukulele tuned F#BD#G# with a capo on fret 2.

I'm joking of course, but not about the oil can (or perhaps biscuit tin).

Top Bottom