Fred Sokolow Complete ukulele guide DVD series

pix.fairydust

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about these or had tried them and would recommend them? They look really good and thought I might give them a go, in particular the complete intermediate and advanced ukulele guide DVDs.

Your thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated :)

Fred is a wonder on the strings, and he's a good teacher. I saw him at one uke fest. As for his DVD lessons, I'm sure you'd learn something. How much you're willing to spend and how much time you're willing to put into the course are the determining factors. I've bought several instructional programs, and I've watched free instruction. "I never met a uke instructor I didn't like." (Thank you, Will Rogers.)

I see several guides on different levels, $20 each.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Fre....69i57j69i60.519j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Fred is a wonder on the strings, and he's a good teacher. I saw him at one uke fest. As for his DVD lessons, I'm sure you'd learn something. How much you're willing to spend and how much time you're willing to put into the course are the determining factors. I've bought several instructional programs, and I've watched free instruction. "I never met a uke instructor I didn't like." (Thank you, Will Rogers.)

I see several guides on different levels, $20 each.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Fre....69i57j69i60.519j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Thanks Jerry. I found the intermediate on eBay for £14 and advanced for £2 (with a 5 day auction).
You're right, I learn something from everyone I've watched! Think I'll go ahead and give them a try.

Thanks Jerry. I found the intermediate on eBay for £14 and advanced for £2 (with a 5 day auction).
You're right, I learn something from everyone I've watched! Think I'll go ahead and give them a try.

I found it on our eBay for $18, but it mentions telling how to tune the uke. I don't want something that basic. After you use it for a while, let us know what you think. I don't see detailed descriptions of this course anywhere.

I found it on our eBay for $18, but it mentions telling how to tune the uke. I don't want something that basic. After you use it for a while, let us know what you think. I don't see detailed descriptions of this course anywhere.

No I couldn't find proper descriptions either. It came up via a link that it was on offer, $10 for each DVD as opposed to the usual $20. But it was then $20 for postage to the UK so I found it on eBay! I've ordered the intermediate and placed a bid for advanced - the beginner looked too beginner - I wonder if that was the one with how to tune etc?

Once it arrives and I've watched it I'll report back!

I've ordered the intermediate and placed a bid for advanced - the beginner looked too beginner - I wonder if that was the one with how to tune etc?

It seems that the generic description of each level is the same, "The Ukulele has never been more popular, and Fred Sokolow's relaxed, user-friendly teaching style makes it easy to learn." Etc. Then they add some details about the specific level.

Facebook post today...

THIS WEEK'S SALE:
COMPLETE ADVANCED UKULELE GUIDE –
DVD & PDF FILE BOOK, ONLY $10 (marked down from $20)
The ukulele has never been more popular, and Fred Sokolow's relaxed, user-friendly teaching style makes it easy to learn.
In this Advanced Lesson you'll learn more moveable and first-position chords, diminished chords and many more jazz chord shapes. There are more chord/melody solos that'll get you playing up and down the neck, more blues licks, and a bluegrassy fingerpicking solo. Tunes include Crazy, Matchbox, Rosetta, Fly Me To the Moon, Mister Sandman, Anytime, Wreck of Old 97 and When You Wish Upon a Star.
Fred slows all the tunes down and breaks them down so they're easy to learn. You'll also enjoy his “uke lore,” stories about the the songs and the players. All the songs are written out in tab and music, with chord grids as well. Whether you're a novice or a uke player wanting more repertoire and technique, there's plenty here for you. It's a great way to expand your horizons on this wonderful instrument.

Facebook post today...

THIS WEEK'S SALE:
The ukulele has never been more popular, and Fred Sokolow's relaxed, user-friendly teaching style makes it easy to learn.
In this Advanced Lesson you'll learn more moveable and first-position chords, diminished chords and many more jazz chord shapes. There are more chord/melody solos that'll get you playing up and down the neck, more blues licks, and a bluegrassy fingerpicking solo. Tunes include Crazy, Matchbox, Rosetta, Fly Me To the Moon, Mister Sandman, Anytime, Wreck of Old 97 and When You Wish Upon a Star.
Fred slows all the tunes down and breaks them down so they're easy to learn. You'll also enjoy his “uke lore,” stories about the the songs and the players. All the songs are written out in tab and music, with chord grids as well. Whether you're a novice or a uke player wanting more repertoire and technique, there's plenty here for you. It's a great way to expand your horizons on this wonderful instrument.

That's the post that sparked my interest! Thanks for sharing it here :)

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about these or had tried them and would recommend them? They look really good and thought I might give them a go, in particular the complete intermediate and advanced ukulele guide DVDs.

Your thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated :)

I took a Blues class with him at McCabes in Santa Monica. He rushed over things and I had to interrupt a bit to get answers to questions which made the class doable. The woman next to me just gave up and sat there. I presume that with nothing but time and editing possibilities, his DVDs will be more accessible. At the same time, question asking is out of the question. I told myself then that I wouldnt take a course from him again, but I think if the class is multi session, it might work out better. My class had 8 people and was supposed to include take home notes. He didnt bring them so he said he would email us. A week later I received scribbled, unclear notes. Subsequently, I received lots if emails about where he was playing. I guess that was the real use of the emails. He is enthusiastic and talented. He just doesnt seem able to gauge how to give that information without insistent questioning. Still probably worth a shot on one if not too expensive.

Last edited:
I've bought several of his books(ragtime, Beatles, bluegrass) and his blues dvd's. I think his books are outstanding, the dvd's a little less so.

I have his Chord Progressions DVD and I too felt he rushed through things a bit. Useful information. But I think his books are better.

Facebook post today...

THIS WEEK'S SALE:

Can you post a link for that?

EDIT: Okay, I found that posting, but there's no mention of who's selling it.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=fred sokolow uke book&epa=SEARCH_BOX

Last edited:
I caught a 3 hr. class from him at a Reno Uke Fest many years ago. Still use His advise "listen to the high hat on the drums for Pop Music strum patterns".

Top Bottom