Three Ukes: Pono, Mainland, Lanikai

Gordon777

Reaction score
I am selling off some ukes to fund my purchase of a more expensive ukulele. Also, the Mainland is a concert, which is just to small for my large paws. Looking for domestic US sales.

1. Pono (Ko-olau) tenor koa uke with cutaway, electric pickup and hard ko-olau case. - NO LONGER AVAILABLE

2. Mainland concert mahogany satin uke, excellent condition. I lowered the saddle a bit to improve the action. Bought new from manufacturer in 2009, barely used since due to size. Asking $160.00 plus $20 shipping USPS, includes gig bag. NO LONGER AVAILABLE, SOLD ELSEWHERE
Pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/VRBfaHQ6xuSkvrYo6

3 Lanikai curly Koa CK-TEQ (laminate) tenor with Shadow pickup and controls, no case. NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Last edited:
Regarding your Pono Tenor, the first two numbers of the serial number located on the neck block inside the uke will tell you the year it was made. Pono uses Acacia now instead of Koa.

These are great Ponos. I have a 2009 PTEC-CE Red Cedar/ Maccassar Ebony cutaway version of your PKTC-1-E cutaway. It sounds terrific. Both were made in Java. Your all-Koa tenor must have a truly lovely sound.

$400 is very good price for an all-Koa Pono tenor. A current base-level Acacia AT costs around $400 these days. Best of luck with the sale.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I took a look but could not find any numbers on the neck block so maybe they started doing that at some point after this one was made. Yes, it has a very sweet sound!

The Pono is no longer available, but Lanikai and Mainland are still for sale.

Note new prices on Mainland Concert ($145.00 + $20 shipping) and Lanikai electric acoustic ($125.00 + $20.00 shipping). The Mainland includes gig bag.

I'm surprised the Mainland hasn't sold yet it's all solid wood, set up in the US, sounds great, definitely turns heads and it was one of the original lower cost ukuleles out there that were well made and distributed by a US company. They were designed similar to the Bushman Jenny, which was on the forfront of the ukulele revival. I keep my Mainland in the gig bag ready to go. It seems to always stay in tune, It has withstood a little bit of abuse and always always always people tell me it sounds great. It goes out with me at least once or twice a week. It's one I don't have to worry about. They are a great value. I don't see much buzz about Mainland recently probably because of the flood of imports. Someone should get this.

Yes, solid mahogany and it is a very nice playing uke. My first and only concert size, but I'm going to go tenor only, due to hand size.

Yes, it seems like there was a lot of buzz about the Mainlands at the time I bought this in 2009 and not so much anymore. Great company with quality instruments at good prices! I do still take it to the occasional jam just because I like the feel and sound of it so much, but I'm 6'4" with big hands and it's a little awkward for me. If it doesn't sell I'll be happy to keep it and maybe try to get more accustomed to the size.

I've been thinking about eventually getting a Mainland concert in the gloss finish. If I hadn't been unemployed for the last month and a half I'd definitely snatch this one up. It's a steal at that price. Have you listed it anywhere else?

I've been thinking about eventually getting a Mainland concert in the gloss finish. If I hadn't been unemployed for the last month and a half I'd definitely snatch this one up. It's a steal at that price. Have you listed it anywhere else?

I have it listed at $150 on reverb.com and ebay. I played it a bit this afternoon and I'm hoping I don't kick myself later for selling, really sweet full sound. I may change my mind yet, lol.

Top Bottom