Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Faux" Triplet Strum

Thanks, John! Kimo is a great player and a great teacher!

I use the all finger strum when I do triplet strums. Downstroke with four fingers slightly apart and lightly curled. Follow this with a downstroke with the pad of the thumb. Follow this with an upstroke with the back of the thumbnail and end the triplet with another downstroke, four fingers, lightly curled. The trick to getting it smooth for me is to keep the hand close in to the uke so that your palm is parallel to the top of the uke. That gives me the light touch I’m looking for. The volume comes from having longer nails.
    It’s become second nature for me, and I goof around sometimes playing songs entirely with triplet strums... but it’s best used, I believe, infrequently for accenting certain parts of songs.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

You know what might help with learning... hold your strumming hand like a pistol, thumb up, index finger straight but relaxed, don’t clamp your other fingers tightly.
    In this position, note how the middle, ring and pinkie fingers are lightly curled.
    Now, with your palm parallel to the top, keeping the pistol shape, strum down with the middle, ring and pinkie as a unit, leaving the index pointing out, then follow with a downstroke with the thumb, an upstroke with the thumb, and a final downstroke with the three fingers. ...all while maintaining the pistol position.
    This pistol position will give you the proper separation between the thumb and other fingers that you need to execute the strum. As you hardwire the strum, you can lose the pistol position as you see fit, although it looks pretty cool anyway
    Last edited by Swamp Yankee; 10-11-2019 at 05:04 AM.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Thanks, S. Y., and sorry for the delay in responding! I had been away for a while and forgot to check this thread! I will incorporate your suggestions into my practice and see how it goes!

play it as slowly as you must in order to master it. Speed comes with proficiency..you cannot "expedite" the process.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilUSAFRet View Post
    play it as slowly as you must in order to master it. Speed comes with proficiency..you cannot "expedite" the process.
    A great and much appreciated reminder! I have resolved to do it slowly and to think long-term!

Calling downstrokes 'D', upstrokes 'U', finger 'F' & thumb 'T', I don't think it matters whether you play your triplets DF-DT-UF (Kimo I), DF-DT-UT, UF-DF-DT (Kimo II) DT-UT-UF (Jake) or any other combination of up/downstrokes.

Technique is secondary to counting: i.e., thinking of a triplet not as 3 beats but as 4: da-da-da dah. The 'dah' establishes the beat that's being broken into 3 by the 'da-da-da's. Without it, you're just playing a fast waltz.
    That 'dah' is almost always played as a downbeat. So: DF-DT-UF DF; DF-DT-UT DF; DT-UT-UF DF (and so forth). Only using the Kimo-II technique would you have to end on an upstroke: UF-DF-DT UF.

And of course, go as slow as you can to get it right. Once you have, then you can play as many triplets in a row as you like - just so long as you end on that dah: da-da-da da-da-da da-da-da dah!
    Argapa custom piccolo | Argapa custom resonator soprano | Rob Collins custom soprano | Kavanagh custom concert | Ashton soprano | Clearwater SB electric concert | Kala PU-SMH sopranissimo | Kala SSTU-BP soprano | Kala C/MU concert "The Mighty Uke"! | Kala SSTU-C concert | Kala SSTU-T tenor | Korala UKS-310 sop | Harley Benton BCJ100-FMH SB electric baritone | Lanikai S-B Baritone | Clearwater "long neck" baritone | Tiny Tangi

Too Drunk To Pluck

I have been working on this for a few months now and it is starting to come in a little smoother. I really like the way Kimo Hussey teaches it as in the above video. However, I am not sure how to apply it to a song. Would one play a chord melody with multiple notes and use the triplet strum or would it be better to play just the single note melody line using triple note strums?

I assume one would play eighth notes as written and quarter notes with a triple note strum. While half notes and whole notes would get as many triple note strums as needed to complete the timing of the measure.

I was thinking if the melody notes were on strings 3 or 4 that it would be better to start the strum with a downward stroke of the index finger and if most of the melody notes were on the top strings, strings 1 and 2 that it would be better to start the strum with an upstroke of the right finger. Or does it matter which way one starts?

I really like the sound of this strum and want to learn more about using it.

Be aware that you can overuse any technique. I like a triple when filling between melodies Dm to G7 for example or as a turnaround.

One way to use this in a song is to play the triplet right at the beginning and louder. It can be seen as a very short intro.

For example a song with simple down strums in 4/4 time:
    (Fingerdown,Thumbdown,Fingerup), Down strum, Down strum, Down strum, Down strum,

This song you could would count 4,1,2,3,4. Where the first 4 beat is the fast triplet and the three is down strummed at bit louder.
    The rest of the song is simply: Down strum, Down strum, Down strum, Down strum

Good luck!
    Last edited by AtSunrise; 11-01-2019 at 12:04 PM.
    YouTube: https://m.youtube.com/user/joedynamo1066/featured
    Latest: Off to California Octave Mandolin, https://youtu.be/KnHAEH7Ss-o

Thread Information