Re-entrant baritone?

Cornfield

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have a tenor guitar that isn’t selling so I’m thinking of tuning it like a baritone uke with a high d.
Is anyone tuning their baritone with a re-entrant setup? dGBE work? I had this setup on a tenor banjo for awhile so that I could play “clawhammer” style.

Hi Cornfield, I don't have a baritone any more, but when I did, it worked nicely with the Living Water high-d set available on the Uke Republic website, which I think is the set you're looking for. Have a good week!

I'll be using a very light steel string to get the best sound out of this Martin tenor guitar. Probably "Silk and Steel".

You're only changing one string, right? Won't cost much to try it. Get the appropriate string from your local guitar store for a couple bucks...

I got a baritone cheap off of craigslist and was going to tune it GCEA, but it sounded krappy. Put regular baritone strings on it and it sounded great. But, since I don't play baritone, I sold it to a very happy friend.

Last edited:
You're only changing one string, right? Won't cost much to try it. Get the appropriate string from your local guitar store for a couple bucks...

I got a baritone cheap off of craigslist and was going to tune it GCEA, but it sounded krappy. Put regular baritone strings on it and it sounded great. But, since I don't play baritone, I sold it to a very happy friend.

Right now it's tuned in fifths so I'll need a whole new set of strings. I like fifths tuning but it's just not embedded in my DNA.

I have a short scale steel string tenor guitar, which I currently have strung low D. I have been thinking, too, of changing the tuning. I often play with other six-string guitar players and thought a different tuning would help to add a different sound. I hadn't considered re-entrant but that might be a choice. I like the way it sounds and I have had it on my baritone uke in the past (don't play bari much since I got the TG tho). I didn't keep it on though because I much prefer the logic of linear for finding melody notes finger style (and appreciate the few extra notes). I also am considering traditional fifths tuning, as this would definitely put me in a different sonic space. I do love the range and symmetry of fifths tuning (for playing lead), but, I strum and sing mostly on tenor guitar and like the close harmony of chords in DGBE tuning (If I were playing a break, I would prefer to play mandolin). I might try re-entrant tuning on the tenor guitar, I need to change strings soon anyway.

Last edited:
Right now it's tuned in fifths so I'll need a whole new set of strings. I like fifths tuning but it's just not embedded in my DNA.

When I bought my tenor guitar, it was tuned in fifths but I re-tuned it to Chicago tuning with no problem. As a matter of fact, I still have the same strings on my guitar even though that was way over a year ago. Therefore all you'd really need to do is put a new G string on. And then put the rest of your clothes on. And then go to the store and get a new 4th string.

I have a short scale steel string tenor guitar, which I currently have strung low D. I have been thinking, too, of changing the tuning. I often play with other six-string guitar players and thought a different tuning would help to add a different sound. I hadn't considered re-entrant but that might be a choice. I like the way it sounds and I have had it on my baritone uke in the past (don't play bari much since I got the TG tho). I didn't keep it on though because I much prefer the logic of linear for finding melody notes finger style (and appreciate the few extra notes). I also am considering traditional fifths tuning, as this would definitely put me in a different sonic space. I do love the range and symmetry of fifths tuning (for playing lead), but, I strum and sing mostly on tenor guitar and like the close harmony of chords in DGBE tuning (If I were playing a break, I would prefer to play mandolin). I might try re-entrant tuning on the tenor guitar, I need to change strings soon anyway.

At one time I had it in linear Chicago tuning but I have several 6 string guitars and can play them that way. I like the wide open sound of chords in fifths tuning when playing in an ensemble but that's rare for me. I mostly play and sing solo. I think the re-entrant might give it an unusual voice that will make it stand out.

When I bought my tenor guitar, it was tuned in fifths but I re-tuned it to Chicago tuning with no problem. As a matter of fact, I still have the same strings on my guitar even though that was way over a year ago. Therefore all you'd really need to do is put a new G string on. And then put the rest of your clothes on. And then go to the store and get a new 4th string.

I've done that too but intonation suffers. It also puts unusual stress on the neck. This is a 1928 Martin 2-18T tenor guitar that does not have a truss rod.

Pretty sure I've seen a few people comment that they only have their baritone(s) tuned reentrant & prefer it to linear. I've got a set waiting to try, but haven't got around to trying it yet. Bet it sounds good.

I have a tenor guitar that isn’t selling so I’m thinking of tuning it like a baritone uke with a high d.
Is anyone tuning their baritone with a re-entrant setup? dGBE work? I had this setup on a tenor banjo for awhile so that I could play “clawhammer” style.

Sad to see this get tuned differently. it sounds amazing in your videos. I would have loved to have bought the Martin tenor guitar but I have never played a tenor guitar. So not sure about starting with one that is a bit higher priced. And I am always nervous buying a vintage instrument and not knowing the full scope of potential issues an older neck, other parts, may have. I have learned the hard way. Well, I hope you continue to enjoy the old beauty.

If the tenor guitar is tuned D,G,B,E here is what I would do... figure out what steel strings you currently have, i.e. 10’s, 11’s, etc. It is a probably a stock set. You are tuning the re-entrant D 1 step lower than the E. Either use a high E string or add .001 to it. If the current E is a.011, maybe use that or a .012.

Before I bought my first ukulele, I took an old classical guitar and took off the 5th and 6th strings and swapped out the D for a high E. Put a capo on the 5th fret, liked it and bought a uke from MGM.

John

If the tenor guitar is tuned D,G,B,E here is what I would do... figure out what steel strings you currently have, i.e. 10’s, 11’s, etc. It is a probably a stock set. You are tuning the re-entrant D 1 step lower than the E. Either use a high E string or add .001 to it. If the current E is a.011, maybe use that or a .012.

Before I bought my first ukulele, I took an old classical guitar and took off the 5th and 6th strings and swapped out the D for a high E. Put a capo on the 5th fret, liked it and bought a uke from MGM.

John

When I set up a tenor banjo in re-entrant tuning I just used an extra high E string and detuned it. The luthier I buy strings at is closed for the week and I leave town next week so this project will go on the back burner for a bit.

When I set up a tenor banjo in re-entrant tuning I just used an extra high E string and detuned it. The luthier I buy strings at is closed for the week and I leave town next week so this project will go on the back burner for a bit.

That’s fine. Or you can just hit up the local Guitar Center for a single string. I’ve done that before.

John

Top Bottom