Banjo ukes vs. banjos

Thanks for the additional options to look at.
Wish I could try one out, but no where near me seems to have any of them.

Still waiting for that paycheck that will have extra money in it from working extra hours, so I guess I have time to daydream about it some more.

I play clawhammer banjo in addition to uke.

Zachary Hoyt is an open back banjo builder. He's not as well know as some builders, but seems to produce very high quality products that are quite reasonably priced (in terms of one off instruments).

He often has C-scale banjos available. From the sound sample they sound quite full and warm considering their size.

Here are two he has available now.

https://hoytbanjos.com/banjos/banjo-111-walnut-10-c-scale-950/

https://hoytbanjos.com/banjos/banjo-91-mahogany-c-scale-with-brass-hardware-850/

The scale is 19 3/4". If that is too long maybe contact him and see if he can make one a little shorter.

Last edited:
The Hoyt banjos look tempting, too.
I'm going to have to figure out how to ask the right questions to see if I can get an idea of how it would work for my fingers, and spend some time looking into all of these options.
I don't think I asked the question in the right way for the person from Elderly to answer correctly.

I play four-string tenor banjo as a melody instrument, mostly Irish jigs and the like, but really anything that takes my fancy. It's tuned GDAE, an octave down from a fiddle or mandolin.

I also play five-string banjo, 'cos if you want to claw-hammer those old folk-songs there's no other instrument for the job. That's tuned in whatever arrangement is deemed suitable for the tune in question, but mostly "C", "G" or "Mountain Minor" aka "Sawmill". It'll also double as a "strum-along" instrument, which is how I learned to play it in the late '60's, mostly in "C" tuning.

When the fancy takes me I play banjolele, tuned gCEA with Aquila "reds" on a "real" skin.

Each instrument is almost totally different ... if they weren't, I'd not bother ;)

YMMV :music:

I play four-string tenor banjo as a melody instrument, mostly Irish jigs and the like, but really anything that takes my fancy. It's tuned GDAE, an octave down from a fiddle or mandolin.

I also play five-string banjo, 'cos if you want to claw-hammer those old folk-songs there's no other instrument for the job. That's tuned in whatever arrangement is deemed suitable for the tune in question, but mostly "C", "G" or "Mountain Minor" aka "Sawmill". It'll also double as a "strum-along" instrument, which is how I learned to play it in the late '60's, mostly in "C" tuning.

When the fancy takes me I play banjolele, tuned gCEA with Aquila "reds" on a "real" skin.

Each instrument is almost totally different ... if they weren't, I'd not bother ;)

YMMV :music:

You play your banjolele with a low g? I only play a concert, but maybe I'll try it.

I've never played either, but Gold Tone makes the Mini CC, and the Plucky. Both 5-string, both, I believe, are concert-sized, and come tuned in C.

I've been tempted for a while, but want to try one, first.

Thanks, I'll check these out too. I really like my Goldtone banjouke, but I'm crazy about 5 string banjo pickin'.

Saga makes a "Pony Banjo". It has a scale length of a regular banjo capoed at the fifth fret. - Google Saga pony banjo. This forum forbids me to post a link. It states ***Forbidden. E-mail seems to be spammer.***

S.S. Stewart used to make a banjorine which was essentially the same thing. - View attachment 121672

I play 5 string and there are a number of styles. Bluegrass 3 finger players mostly use an open G tuning (gDGBD) while clawhammer and old time players use many tunings. My favourites are the open G and double C (gCGCD), Sawmill (gDGCD), open Gm (gDGBbD) and drop C (gCGBD).

I also play tenor banjo, which I have lately been playing tuned Bb6 tuning capoed at 2, making it gCEA or standard C6 ukulele tuning.

I have a couple of banjoleles which I keep in re-enrant tuning so I can play clawhammer.

A banjolele can sound very banjo-like if you play clawhammer or tenor style, but it is difficult to make it sound like a bluegrass banjo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom