Banjo ukes vs. banjos

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
Seeing the thread on banjo ukes that was asking about the sound made me wonder how different playing a banjo uke is from playing a banjo.

I've been watching the Ken Burns program on Country Music, which reminded me that I always thought it would be fun to play banjo. I think I would, at this point in my life, need a kid's size banjo. (I'm a small person, and have had some injuries.)

Probably not going to find an answer here, but if anyone has ever played something the size of the Deering Goodtime Parlor Banjo, (which is smaller and lighter than a standard banjo, from what I've read), how does the neck compare to a concert ukulele?

What is the advantage of a banjo ukulele vs a banjo?

Last edited:
I play the 5 string banjo and banjolele plus ukulele.
The main difference is the 5th drone string on a standard banjo.
The banjo uke is much small and has only four string tuned as an ukulele.
The banjo uke is also a lot smaller and easier to carry about.
Really quite different and not a Bluegrass or Parlor banjo.
Both are lots of fun, but a totally different learning scale.

I play the 5 string banjo and banjolele plus ukulele.
The main difference is the 5th drone string on a standard banjo.
The banjo uke is much small and has only four string tuned as an ukulele.

There is also a tenor banjo that I think is less commonly used. The big difference is that there are several different ways to tune the 5-string banjo with most of them in some kind of open tuning. There are also several different schools of banjo picking mainly divided into the bluegrass and clawhammer groups. I think the banjo-uke is just tuned like an ukulele and basically played like one too; it's just louder and sounds a bit different. It would take quite some commitment to learn playing banjo and it's likely a huge step up from ukulele basics.

Last edited:
I posted this awhile ago going through the same thing. I like a more banjo sound and you can get close and retain lightness if you go with a Duke10 tenor. The one that really sounds like a banjo is a Deering, but to me at least, it's like having a small child sit on your lap (yes, hyperbole).
That Gold Tone Little gem sounds pretty banjo-y is lightish, but to me the neck just didn't feel right in my hand. This is all subjective of course.
If I played better I'd snatch up one of those Waverlys on sale in another thread. Listen to the video and see if you like it. Good luck!

I'm loving the Ken Burns, and I can't wait for the section with Dolly tomorrow. Get to see her 10/12!

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?128769-Banjoleles-most-banjo-sounding

Last edited:
Thanks for the link to the other thread.

I did a chat with a person at Elderly who seemed like no one had ever asked him to compare a Parlor Banjo to a ukulele neck before. Huh, they don't get that question all the time? LOL.

He claims that the Parlor Banjo would be closer to the fret spacing of a concert ukulele than a tenor, which is what I had hoped. Not sure if that's accurate or not, since he was confused about my question at first. But, they do have a 30 day return policy, so I would just be out shipping if it doesn't work for my hands.

I've been listening to some videos, and think that something closer to an actual banjo might be closer to what I'd want, as I want to learn 5-string bluegrass style, I think, vs. clawhammer, (though that's pretty cool too.) Will have to give it some thought, while I enjoy the rest of the Ken Burns program.

I know a ukulele neck is more likely to work for me, though, so I might have to consider the uke banjo instead. Or just stick to "regular" ukulele, since I still have lots of work to do there. :)

Thanks for the link to the other thread.

I did a chat with a person at Elderly who seemed like no one had ever asked him to compare a Parlor Banjo to a ukulele neck before. Huh, they don't get that question all the time? LOL.

He claims that the Parlor Banjo would be closer to the fret spacing of a concert ukulele than a tenor, which is what I had hoped. Not sure if that's accurate or not, since he was confused about my question at first. But, they do have a 30 day return policy, so I would just be out shipping if it doesn't work for my hands.

I've been listening to some videos, and think that something closer to an actual banjo might be closer to what I'd want, as I want to learn 5-string bluegrass style, I think, vs. clawhammer, (though that's pretty cool too.) Will have to give it some thought, while I enjoy the rest of the Ken Burns program.

I know a ukulele neck is more likely to work for me, though, so I might have to consider the uke banjo instead. Or just stick to "regular" ukulele, since I still have lots of work to do there. :)

Definitely post up what you find out when you get it. Compare it to the concert uke for fret spacing, nut width, etc. Oh, also the weight. I'm really curious to find out. I hadn't seen one of those Palors before. I want to learn the picking too.
I made myself a couple of banjo ukes with 10" remo drum heads and both concert and soprano necks that I chopped off cheap ukes. I don't quite have the break angles right, but they're not half bad.

When I was in a luthier's home one day, I saw a 5 steel string banjo on his wall. It was the size of a banjouke. It was very old. I wanted to buy it, but he won't sell it.
I wonder if anyone builds them these days?

When I was in a luthier's home one day, I saw a 5 steel string banjo on his wall. It was the size of a banjouke. It was very old. I wanted to buy it, but he won't sell it.
I wonder if anyone builds them these days?

If you find one, please let us know.

Definitely post up what you find out when you get it. Compare it to the concert uke for fret spacing, nut width, etc. Oh, also the weight. I'm really curious to find out. I hadn't seen one of those Palors before. I want to learn the picking too.
I made myself a couple of banjo ukes with 10" remo drum heads and both concert and soprano necks that I chopped off cheap ukes. I don't quite have the break angles right, but they're not half bad.

I'm not for sure buying it, but by the time the Ken Burns program finishes, I might not be able to resist. LOL.

Here are the specs, if you're interested:
https://www.elderly.com/products/deering-goodtime-parlor-banjo

Aaron Keim of Beansprout Musical Instruments may make just what you are looking for. Check out his mini five string banjo. I believe his mini 5-string is usually tenor scale, but he is a custom builder, so you can probably get him to make a 5-string that is concert scale.

The Beansprout

His Youtube channel, which has demos of his various builds.

I think whoever you spoke to didn't understand your question, or has never seen a ukulele!

A web search tells me that the Goodtime Parlor Banjo has a 23 1/8 scale length, which is about the same as a long scale tenor banjo. This is nothing like concert (13 inch) or tenor (15 inch) ukulele scale. It's quite a bit longer than a baritone ukulele (19 inches or so).

If you have access to a standard steel string guitar, capo it at the second fret - that's roughly how long the parlor banjo scale is, and what its fret spacing would be.

I think whoever you spoke to didn't understand your question, or has never seen a ukulele!

A web search tells me that the Goodtime Parlor Banjo has a 23 1/8 scale length, which is about the same as a long scale tenor banjo. This is nothing like concert (13 inch) or tenor (15 inch) ukulele scale. It's quite a bit longer than a baritone ukulele (19 inches or so).

If you have access to a standard steel string guitar, capo it at the second fret - that's roughly how long the parlor banjo scale is, and what its fret spacing would be.

Thanks. This is very helpful. And, unfortunately, makes me think my fingers can't handle it.
I was also thinking that the higher tension of the strings, (and steel strings), might make this harder on my fingers, too.

It won't give me the right sound, but I'll look into some of the other suggestions here, too, like Beansprout and Magic Fluke, (though it sounds like the scale of the Firefly isn't going to work for me either.)

My fingers had a mishap that makes them very particular these days about what they're able to do. Left hand is the one that got more severely injured, so I have to be careful about the necks on instruments.

Good thing that concert sized ukulele works for me. :)

And, maybe I can find a banjo-ish instrument that can entertain me, too.

These come in soprano and concert. Much quieter than some of the others.
https://www.magicfluke.com/Firefly-s/1514.htm

I assume that the Firefly necks are as chunky as the Fleas?

Wish I could try some of these out first, since my fingers are so picky, (no pun intended.)

I assume that the Firefly necks are as chunky as the Fleas?

Wish I could try some of these out first, since my fingers are so picky, (no pun intended.)

I only tried one in the store (didn't quite care for the sound), but I don't remember it feeling too big and I have tiny little hands. It's one of the first things I notice on a uke. Can't always tell from a quick store shop though. I checked out a concert. Maybe try a soprano?
It's too bad Mainland doesn't make one. I love the feel of their necks.
Good luck.

Last edited:
I've never played either, but Gold Tone makes the Mini CC, and the Plucky. Both 5-string, both, I believe, are concert-sized, and come tuned in C.

I've been tempted for a while, but want to try one, first.

Top Bottom