High frets

Ukecaster

Reaction score
I have an old vintage Favilla uke, 12 fret, flush to body, no overhang.
It had the last 2 frets replaced when I got it, and both are a bit high, especially the 12th fret. The saddle is also missing, so I'm going to take it in for a new saddle. I hope to address the 2 high frets at the same time. Can the 2 frets be lowered without dressing all the others, in a full fret job? Thing is, I don't want to dump too much $ into this beater, just want to add the saddle and get it back up & running. It played and sounded fine before the saddle was lost, with the exception of notes on the 11th and 12th frets. Since I don't play up high, I'm not adverse to just pulling the 12th fret, if that will be easier and less costly.

2018-02-15 11.57.30.jpg

Last edited:
Anything is possible. Just have a chat with the repair person as to your requirements and budget. Fret crowning tools work on one fret at a time where as fret levelling tools work on numerous frets at a time. That 12th fret is SOO high that I would just pull it out.

I always go to repair person if something happens. A couple of my fret wire are floating (see the photo below). My repair man said if sound is ok leave it. I think you need to check them again after saddle repaired. And sound is ok, you can leave it.

I would pull the 2 high frets if you don't play them anyway. The new frets were probably new or newer stock. I have found it impossible to get fret wire that is the same dimensions as the vintage ones, let alone bar frets. An other option ($) is to refret the entire fret board.

Thanks all. Yes Dave, I'm leaning towards just pulling them, def the 12th at least, since I never play up there anyway.

Spot leveling just one or two frets is not hard, IF you can get to them. In your case I wonder if there is room to be able to file down the 12th fret without damaging the top itself. If the top is recessed enough, I would tape it over and try filing down the 12th fret across the neck (not with leveling tools). I would not recommend removing the frets and leaving the slots empty, as there is a school of thought (with guitars) that the frets help stabilize the neck. Without a truss rod I'd worry about bending with the open "wounds" of empty fret slots.

Last edited:
Especially considering that you don’t play up there, I’d do as besley suggested. Mask the top and file those two frets down at least until they’re no longer proud of the other frets. Even if you go lower, it won’t matter because you ain’t using them anyway.

Especially considering that you don’t play up there, I’d do as besley suggested. Mask the top and file those two frets down at least until they’re no longer proud of the other frets. Even if you go lower, it won’t matter because you ain’t using them anyway.

And if you ain't gonna use them, you won't have to re-crown them either.

Well, it's back! The tech installed the bone nut blank I provided, and filed down the last 2 frets, it's now playable up to the 12th, although I rarely go up there. This is a teens/20's Favilla, according to Tom Favilla. Tried some used Aquilas I had here, but they were too fat, they must have been concert strings.
Swapped in a set of soprano Worth Browns, which sound great, and fit better in the nut. They are still settling down, but a sweet tone. Tuners were pretty bad, so new Pings went on there. This one has been in the closet for 2 years, so it will be fun getting reacquainted.

F11.jpg
f10.jpg
F12.jpg

Last edited:
Well, it's back! The tech installed the bone nut blank I provided, and filed down the last 2 frets, it's now playable up to the 12th, although I rarely go up there. This is a teens/20's Favilla, according to Tom Favilla. Tried some used Aquilas I had here, but they were too fat, they must have been concert strings.
Swapped in a set of soprano Worth Browns, which sound great, and fit better in the nut. They are still settling down, but a sweet tone. Tuners were pretty bad, so new Pings went on there. This one has been in the closet for 2 years, so it will be fun getting reacquainted.

View attachment 121780
View attachment 121781
View attachment 121782

Sweet!
One of these days I have to get my hands on a Favilla. I hear lots of good things about them.

Top Bottom