I re-strung my tenor incorrectly, I think

Joko

Reaction score
By accident, I did it this way See the picture of the head below. So to tighten the 1 & 4 string, turn clockwise. To tighten the 2 &3, counter-clockwise. I know this isn't the right way to do it, but it sounds fine.

Other than having to remember which way to turn the pegs, is there anything 'wrong' with doing it this way?

WIN_20190926_11_39_39_Pro.jpg

You are asking this group for an opinion?

Most ukuleles I have seen tighten strings by turning the peg ‘up and away’ from the body.
But, I cannot think of a reason to alter this convention, other than,
By altering it, consider it your own Security Code — make it confounding for an outsider to tune up your instrument.

The only thing "wrong" might be that the break angle would change for the worse and make the strings more likely to jam in the nut slots. Doesn't look like it makes much of a difference on your uke.

Straightest pull is where its at, just slacken off the strings & wind them on the other way, simple job. :)

The tension on the outside of the nut slots are increased with the way you have it wound, possibility of them breaking off, depending on tension, & if it should get knocked.

Last edited:
Many schools of thought here. How I generally string would have your G and A strings going the other way so as to minimize the break angles, as others have said. But I've seen others advocate having your G and E strings the other way so all the strings turn the same way to tighten or loosen

Clearly you need to buy another uke.

To me, the G and A string are wrapped in the wrong direction...you have enough length to re-do them.

Top Bottom