How to define "Hawaiian Sound"? What makes an Ukulele "Sound Hawaiian"?

Hey! I'm enjoying this thread so much, guys! Thank you for all the videos shared, I didn't know most of them. I agree with those who say "Hawaiian sound" is more about the genre rather than the instrument itself. However, I think reentrant tuning helps a lot to sound "hawaiian", and maybe koa too? I've never heard a koa uke in real life, so I can't really tell. Anyway, I think what helps the most is studying that specific scale, what chords are used, and practise to find the style you're looking for. If you improvise using a phrigian mode, or play the chord progression: Am G F E7, you'll be surprised, it sounds like typical spanish flamenco guitar! And you can do it on a uke, you don't even need a spanish guitar to get that atmosphere.

Bingo! Thank you Arob54! And thanks for highlighting the commentary on the Lotus & I'iwi. There's also so commentary on Hawaiian (& Kanile'an) sound on the Kanile'a/Joe Souza part. Glad they put the time stamps of each uke on the description.
Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 12.33.24 PM.jpg

I’m seeing a lot of answers that say it’s the artist and the song that determine if the sound is “Hawaiian.” I think this video illustrates the OP’s real question. Same Hawaiian artist (Aaron Crowell) playing the same Hawaiian song (Island Style) on 9 different instruments. Listen to what everyone says about the tone of the Lotus and the I’iwi compared to the other models. Why are those two considered “Hawaiian sounding?” But the same person playing the same song on another instrument is described as “guitar like”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D0ieBqCIE7U

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. While HMS does sell ukes, I think there's a lot more substance to some of what they say that's beyond a mere sales pitch. It's not just HMS or salespeople that uses the term.
Finding words to directly describe sound qualities can be challenging... more so when most people replying keep conflating w/ "genre"... oh well.

As a aside, I was cleaning out my phone & found some recent pics snapped at a local store. Someone had just walked in w/ a uke they were given.

0917191636_HDR.jpg

a few more photos here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1TlwLY2C8JLafgWQ6o2ot975_BG0nCJUq?usp=sharing

Wukulele, thanks for the examples you provided in response to my query. I have read the five year old UU thread and the general consensus seems to be that a re-entrant Koa soprano best provides "that Hawaiian sound".

Regarding the HMS videos, I am not surprised that an enterprise bent on selling ukuleles uses references like "Hawaiian sound".

Probably the most authentically Hawaiian sounding ukulele I have owned was a Kumalae. I confess I didn't bond with it and sold it on. My favourite uke, is my KoAloha soprano. I also own a 1950s (I think) Martin Style 1, and a 1928 Gibson. Both of these battered beauties also produce the sort of sounds I like, but I am predominantly a strummer and crooner.

Another current favourite is my Ken Timms replica of a traditional Hawaiian soprano. Ken faithfully reproduced the features of an early Hawaiian ukulele, but using mahogany for the body. He employed the traditional construction methods, too, complete with lots of hairy string! It closely resembles a Kumalae, but has a very different sound - I love it!

If there is a quintessentially Hawaiian sound, which some ukuleles have and others do not, then I don't think I would be able to identify it. For me, it is in the type of music played, and the player's style.

John Colter

Hawaiian sounds?
Pua Olena is Hawaiian.
Lovely Hula Hands is Hawaiian.
Pua Hone is Hawaiian.
Hawaiian Lullaby is Hawaiian.
Blue Hawaii is haole.
And an ukulele doesn't have to be koa. Iz played a mahogany Martin ukulele.
The sound? Hawaiian ukulele players kick butt, better than the rest, I think.
That should cover it. I think the rest is fluff, IMHO.

Last edited:
I'm reminded of a story about a great guitar player. (Maybe a blues player) He was sitting at a table with his guitar as a fan went on about how great the guitar players guitar sounded. The player laid his guitar on the table and asked, "how does it sound now?".

Maybe this discussion can all be summed up thusly:

"Hawaiian is, as Hawaiian does..."

"The sound? Hawaiian ukulele players kick butt, better than the rest, I think.
That should cover it. I think the rest is fluff, IMHO."

I totally agree,

yours sincerely,

Fluff

Top Bottom