Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A better plastic uke for my car? :^)

Default A better plastic uke for my car? :^)

Hi everyone
    I have a plastic tenor uke [with a Mickey Mouse decal] which lives in my car. Great to have an instrument there not affected by heat or cold. Playable, but also somewhat of a toy. Cheap tuners and a "not especially straight neck"... Its surprising how much I play it. Can anyone suggest an inexpensive plastic uke of better quality--an upgrade?
    Thanks, Joel
    sc_b003r6h59i-01mickey.jpg

The Waterman ($40) would probably be a step up, but the Outdoor Uke ($115) would be several steps up.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

I think I'd go for an all laminate uke rather than plastic. I have a cheap Rubin all laminate in my car and it's been fine.
    Ukuleles owned:-
    Laka VUC50 Soprano
    Laka LK-JBC Joe Brown Concert
    Rubin RS101 Zebrawood Soprano
    Barnes & Mullins UBJ1 Concert Banjolele
    Sinye YA26 Mahogany Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by The Pashmeister View Post
    I think I'd go for an all laminate uke rather than plastic. I have a cheap Rubin all laminate in my car and it's been fine.
    I wouldn't subject any wooden ukulele to a car; the Outdoor Ukulele--as long as you like soprano or tenor, is the way to go.

I have one of the new Enya models coming next month--it still needs to be seen if they are as rugged as the Outdoor Ukulele.

If you have to have a non-plastic ukulele, look at the HPL models by Martin (now discontinued, but available), Enya, or Bonanza Ukulele.
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    ...look at the HPL models by Martin (now discontinued, but available), Enya, or Bonanza Ukulele.
    Good idea - the Martin OX costs $339 on Amazon, $218.88 on eBay.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...x+uke&_sacat=0
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Tou might consider the Flight TUS 35

The new plastic Enya Nova concert ukulele got a great review on GotAUkulele. Price is $69 in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    The Waterman ($40) would probably be a step up, but the Outdoor Uke ($115) would be several steps up.
    Waterman is a waste of money, Outdoor ukulele is a decent instrument!
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

Second that on the Waterman. It probably isn't any better than what you have.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I have the following and would recommend either:

• Soprano: Flight TUS-35 - inexpensive and sounds way better than its price suggests. This one made me like sopranos. I like it better than my HPL Enya X1 soprano, which cost twice as much and would also probably survive the car just fine
    • Tenor: Outdoor Carbon - not so inexpensive, plays well, and sounds good for plastic. There is also a soprano version I haven't played, and less expensive colours without the carbon fibres molded in. I doubt the carbon fibre has any real non-aesthetic advantage, but it's cool!

I don't have the following but would consider:
    • Concert - upcoming Enya Nova. Costs in the middle of the Flight and Outdoor and well reviewed.

The Outdoor is normally my car uke - I like the black since it is less obvious to somebody looking in the car window.

Tenor is fine for me while playing while in the drivers seat (while parked or passenger only! please don't play while driving!), but I've thought about switching since the smaller one is easier to grab from the back seat.

Even though the plastic uke body doesn't care about the weather, the strings do. You'll probably have to retune and change strings more often than on a uke kept in a more controlled environment.

Thread Information