New Collings ukuleles

A little known Collings uke bridge fact is that Collings routs a lip on the bottom of the bridge for the finish to go into. The perimeter of the bridge will have a little border that is not glued down. The top of the uke will have a bit of a belly to it. Sometimes it may look as though the bridge may be pulling up (as you may be able to see an ever so small gap between the corners of the bridge and the top), but its actually how the uke was made.

Collings uses Savarez strings per their website. My Ut2 came with some type of nytech/nylgut strings and I changed them to Savarez...I think I liked the old strings better but unfortunately I don’t know exactly what type of strings they were. I’m interested about the cases, I think they stopped making Ukes before they picked up their own case production; ameritage used to manufacture their cases.

They are so light and are really easy to play.

Collings website has a lot of information: https://www.collingsguitars.com/faq/ukuleles/

A few observations
1. The string tension seems perfect for the top, I tried a half step lower which was nice as well and quite different
2. The setup is perfect and the action is low.
3. The fret work is really good and playing the uke is easy
4. The uke rings up the neck and playing the highest A and lowest C sound quite good and the uke is balanced
5. The bridge is is a knot bridge similar to sopranos which is a first for me on a tenor, never observed it on earlier Collings I saw. Any one with a Collings care to chime in about the bridge?
6. The neck has a slimer profile than my other ukes and is quite comfortable
Overall very happy. Plan to try lower tension strings in the future for kicks.
Does any one know the string brand used by Collings?
Oh yeah, the case man they make a snug fitting case!!! It feels like a case for a concert or a soprano

Are these new ones any different than the old ones? Seems to be only koa, limited build.
I was guessing that it's the same specs in every way, but I have no reason to think that my guess is valid.

If Collings uses the same tooling and molds the shape should be the same, but the wood would be different.
If anyone from Collings reads this, I suggest looking at a Koaloha D-VI like piccolo guitar using the tenor uke bodies. Now that Collings customers are used to a smaller instrument, delivering a small compact six string for travel and fun may be something to look at.
More people buy ukuleles than guileless, and Collings didn't feel ukuleles were profitable enough to continue as a regular offering, but you feel that they will somehow find piccolo guitars, with considerably less demand, enticing?

More people buy ukuleles than guileless, and Collings didn't feel ukuleles were profitable enough to continue as a regular offering, but you feel that they will somehow find piccolo guitars, with considerably less demand, enticing?

I agree. It just wouldn't make much financial sense for Collings to get into building such instruments.

Also, from my many years working in the musical instrument industry, I have found that most people (for fairly obvious reasons) are more keen to purchase a cheaper instrument than an expensive instrument for travel purposes.

Collings are selling them to regular Collings owning guitar players, not UU members. Travelling with a guitarlele or piccolo guitar is a breeze for someone who normally travels with a full size Collings guitar. Its only complicated for someone who has only ever owned a low cost ukulele.

I am a little confused. Maybe I've missed something? Who are you replying to?

Anyway, I own two Collings guitars and I am a UU member. Where do I fit in?

I personally would not purchase a pricey, higher end, solid wood instrument for traveling. For numerous reasons, I'd much rather travel with an inexpensive laminated instrument.

Also, what is complicated?

I'd buy one, in fact if they move onto other variations like spruce tops as they did before; I will buy one. If you (anyone that is) haven't played one; they are quite amazing - the tone is better than anything I've personally played or heard (in real time). Build quality is immaculate.

I'd buy one, in fact if they move onto other variations like spruce tops as they did before; I will buy one. If you (anyone that is) haven't played one; they are quite amazing - the tone is better than anything I've personally played or heard (in real time). Build quality is immaculate.

You are in luck. The three that were listed for sale on Reverb are all still available.

I've got a Collings in Koa - looking for a spruce top concert. Thanks though :)

Guess you'd have to track down a used one then. I know of a used spruce top tenor for sale, but can't say I've seen any spruce top concerts as of late.

I am a little confused. Maybe I've missed something? Who are you replying to?

Anyway, I own two Collings guitars and I am a UU member. Where do I fit in?

I personally would not purchase a pricey, higher end, solid wood instrument for traveling. For numerous reasons, I'd much rather travel with an inexpensive laminated instrument. [
Also, what is complicated?
Those musicians on that United video with the trashed guitars wish they had. "United breaks guitars" I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

Last edited:
Collings are selling them to regular Collings owning guitar players, not UU members. Travelling with a guitarlele or piccolo guitar is a breeze for someone who normally travels with a full size Collings guitar. Its only complicated for someone who has only ever owned a low cost ukulele.

How many guitar players do you personally know who travel with a guitarlele oe piccolo guitar?

How many professional guitar players do you personally know who travel with a guitarlele or piccolo guitar for gigs?

Last edited:
For numerous reasons I would rather look at the itinerary and travel details and first work out if I would even bother taking a musical instrument. Then if I decided to take one, I would take the best one for the job at hand. Sometimes thats a laminated instrument sometimes its a solid koa instrument. Horses for courses.
A Collings instrument is not necessarily pricey. It can be quite cost effect effective to a professional musician who uses it to generate a good income stream, as they do. What is "high end", its just two words used by people who do not understand how a good guitar can be a benefit in the music business. If a professional guitar player is making good money even a $10K Collings Guitar is going to be worth taking on a road trip if it sells tickets and CDs and airplay. Collings make the guitars and instruments for professional use, not to hide in your shed or man cave and drool over. If a Collings instrument, guitar, ukulele, or other has the right sound and feel, it will taken out by professional musicians and will survive and will sell tickets and CDs and airplay.
Discussing the new Collings products is a great topic for Uke Talk. Thats what Uke Talk is for. Whether or not anyone actually will buy the instruments is a different matter, so far no-one has posted an intention to find one and buy it. We do see several threads where UU members are actually buying the products sold on Amazon for low prices. And recently there was a whole thread about how dreadful it is to charge $4000 for a ukulele. I suspect the Collings Marketing department would be targeting UU if they thought anyone here would actually buy one. I certainly am not interested in buying one, but posting opinions is an interesting activity.

Many members here own Collings, Mya Moes, Moore Bettahs, etc. I own a National. Some members here do actually buy Collings. Some here might buy a Collings guitarlele, though not enough for Collings to wish to make them. UU members own all kinds of instruments, some much more expensive than Collings, and I know of one member who owns a Collings AND has purchased a low priced uke on Amazon. We are a diversified group here on UU. "pricey" and "high end" are terms used to compare the cost of an item relative to others on the market. The terms have nothing whatsoever to do with whether the more expensive one is better quality or is better suited for the job, though they are usually connected. If it sits on the higher end of the price spectrum, it is "high end" and "pricey", period. So yes, a Collings is absolutely "pricey", and those "twp words" -"high end" are most often used by the people who actually buy them and appreciate what that quality does for them, not by "people who do not understand how a good guitar can be a benefit in the music business".

Last edited:
Wow this thread has gone in an odd direction...
Any ways, from what I hear, Collings had uke parts and wood that were not used and they decided to make ukes. Now that the parts and boards are all used up, going back to ukes will be a major undertaking for them. So I doubt we will see more new ukes any time soon. They will be tenors and concerts.
Does any one else plan to pick up the new ones?
I got the tenor, will try to do a NUD post.

Wow this thread has gone in an odd direction...
Any ways, from what I hear, Collings had uke parts and wood that were not used and they decided to make ukes. Now that the parts and boards are all used up, going back to ukes will be a major undertaking for them. So I doubt we will see more new ukes any time soon. They will be tenors and concerts.
Does any one else plan to pick up the new ones?
I got the tenor, will try to do a NUD post.

Congrats. I followed this thread but just looked at the dealer and it seems they still have at least one tenor available. It sure looks very different from any other Collings uke I have seen, but maybe this is because those were all "higher-end" (UT3). Thanks to the OP for posting, sure looks like a very rare opportunity to get one.

Congrats. I followed this thread but just looked at the dealer and it seems they still have at least one tenor available. It sure looks very different from any other Collings uke I have seen, but maybe this is because those were all "higher-end" (UT3). Thanks to the OP for posting, sure looks like a very rare opportunity to get one.

They are the same as the old ones. The haircut head stock was only on certain models. A few dealers received the new ukes. All three of the tenors that were listed on Reverb are all still available.

Those musicians on that United video with the trashed guitars wish they had. "United breaks guitars" I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

Although, I generally agree with you, I would appreciate it if you wouldn't add something to what I posted and then quote it as though my original post included what you added. My post didn't include the YouTube link, but you added it and quoted it as though it did.

post.jpg

Although, I generally agree with you, I would appreciate it if you wouldn't add something to what I posted and then quote it as though my original post included what you added. My post didn't include the YouTube link, but you added it and quoted it as though it did.

View attachment 121694

Sorry. That was a typo that I wasn't even aware could happen. I pasted the link, couldn't find it in my post, presumed it wasn't there and pasted the link again. I never thought to look for it on the part that was your post. I have deleted that.

Sorry. That was a typo that I wasn't even aware could happen. I pasted the link, couldn't find it in my post, presumed it wasn't there and pasted the link again. I never thought to look for it on the part that was your post. I have deleted that.

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Top Bottom